Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Tell me your favorite casseroles

4,761 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MichaelJ
gus89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can someone post Fido king ranch recipe?
mts6175
AG
gus89 said:

Can someone post Fido king ranch recipe?
https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/1775575
bigboykin
AG
This sort of ended up as a casserole of sorts, but I had some leftover pulled pork and wanted to make a dish for a Christmas party this weekend. Came up with what I've been calling Triple Pig Green Chile Mac n' Cheese. All quantities estimated as I pretty much cook like the Swedish chef from the Muppets, but this should get you in the ballpark.

1 package bacon, diced
1 tube chorizo
1.5 lb leftover pulled pork
1/4 c butter
1/4 c flour, plus 2 tbs
6 c milk, scalded (plus some)
1 package cream cheese, softened
3 c shredded colby/jack
3 c shredded sharp cheddar, divided
1/2 c cotija cheese, divided
2 poblano peppers
3 jalapenos
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp garlic power
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp nutmeg
5-6 dashes Louisiana hot sauce
5-6 dashes Worcestershire
1.5 lbs penne

While the water is coming to a boil, coat all peppers in vegetable oil and toss on a hot grill. Turn every few minutes until all sides are well charred then place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap to steam a bit. Cook bacon until crispy and remove to drain on a paper towel, reserve drippings. Either do this in a large pot or do in a pan and transfer the bacon fat to a large pot. Add butter to bacon fat and when melted, add flour and stir continuously to create a blonde roux. After a few minutes begin slowly adding the scalded milk to the roux and whisking in to ensure no lumps. Add dried seasonings, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce and stir in. Taste the bechamel and season with kosher salt/black pepper to taste. Slowly add the cream cheese, colby/jack, 2 cups cheddar, and 1/4 cup cotija, whisking until incorporated smoothly. Now use latex-gloved hands or a paper towel to remove the skins, seeds, and ribs from your fire-roasted peppers and dice roughly. Cook the chorizo either in the bacon pan or another pan. Now add the bacon, chiles, and chorizo to the cheese sauce. I added milk here to get to the right consistency, but tough to say how much. You want it pretty loose, because everything will tighten up during the bake. Taste and adjust seasoning again. At this point your penne should've been cooked to al dente and drained. Add the pasta to the cheese sauce. Transfer all to a large casserole. Top with pulled pork, remaining shredded cheddar and cotija, and pickled jalepenos, if desired. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes until bubbly and delicious.

MichaelJ
AG
Care to share the shepherd's pie recipe?
FIDO*98*
AG
I make Shepard's Pie in one of two ways. Either Guinness or Red wine based gravy. I normally use lamb or ground Axis. If I'm making the Guinness version I use ground Axis, and if the wine version I use diced lamb. Ground beef and small diced stew beef would work as well.

If you have a La Cruset this makes a nice cook and bake 1 pot dish

Olive oil

About 3/4lb of peeled, blanched baby onion (you can use 1 large diced onion if you wish)
2-3 large carrots, diced - sometimes I'll have turnips or parsnips on hand and they go great as well
3 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoon butter or olive oil
1 bottle Guinness (or 12oz burgundy wine)
Couple dashes of Worcestershire sauce
1 cup stock (I use chicken with a heaping Tbls of veal demi-glace). Never, ever use canned or boxed beef stock. It's vile and should be banned
heaping Tbls tomato paste (optional)
1 cup frozen peas
fresh thyme for guinness, thyme and rosemary for wine, chopped parsley for both
1 large quantity cheesy mashed potatoes (I use white cheddar for guinness or gruyere for wine)

Pre-heat oven to 400o F.

For both versions, Saute carrots and onion in the olive oil until just tender. Season with salt and pepper

For Guinness pie

Add meat and cook until browned then drain fat.
Add the butter until melted and then add flour and stir until thickened and the bottom of dutch oven starts to brown then add the Worcestershire, Guinness, chicken stock, veal demi, and tomato paste. Cook until thick on medium. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and fresh herbs

For Red Wine Pie if using 1/4" cubed lamb

Brown the meat first seasoning with salt and pepper. Add in a cup of stock and simmer until meat is tender and most or all of the liquid has evaporated. Remove and reserve. Proceed with previous recipe

When finished use a spatula to spread or pipe the mashed potatoes over top. For best results use a potato ricer to make the potatoes.

Bake for about 20 minutes or until the potato is nice and browned on top.

I like to serve with homemade herb butter drop biscuits
nonag97
http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/recipe/2014/08/chicken-zucchini-casserole/

Here's my favorite. I add a bunch of grated cheese and toss in various herbs and spices. Super easy and quite delicious.
biobioprof
What counts as a casserole, anyway? Do you agree with what is on this list?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_casserole_dishes

not buying tofurkey as a casserole myself. Not that it would be a fave if it was.
TX AG 88
AG
does a casserole have to be a main dish to qualify here? If not, I LOVE LOVE LOVE me some broccoli/rice/cheese casserole. Probably my favorite side dish.
Tanya 93
biobioprof said:

What counts as a casserole, anyway? Do you agree with what is on this list?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_casserole_dishes

not buying tofurkey as a casserole myself. Not that it would be a fave if it was.

Of course I get the mention of tofurkey!
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Side dishes absolutely can be a casserole. Yours is a perfect example, as is cornbread (or any other) dressing served at Thanksgiving. Along with the dreaded green bean casserole.
superunknown
AG
FIDO*98* said:

I make Shepard's Pie in one of two ways. Either Guinness or Red wine based gravy. I normally use lamb or ground Axis. If I'm making the Guinness version I use ground Axis, and if the wine version I use diced lamb. Ground beef and small diced stew beef would work as well.

Olive oil

About 3/4lb of peeled, blanched baby onion (you can use 1 large diced onion if you wish)
2-3 large carrots, diced - sometimes I'll have turnips or parsnips on hand and they go great as well
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup stock (I use chicken with a heaping Tbls of veal demi-glace). Never, ever use canned or boxed beef stock. It's vile and should be banned
1 cup frozen peas
1 large quantity cheesy mashed potatoes (I use white cheddar for guinness or gruyere for wine)

Pre-heat oven to 400o F.

For both versions, Saute carrots and onion in the olive oil until just tender. Season with salt and pepper

For Guinness pie

Add the butter until melted and then add flour and stir until thickened and the bottom of dutch oven starts to brown then add the Worcestershire, Guinness, chicken stock, veal demi, and tomato paste. Cook until thick on medium. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and fresh herbs

Brown the meat first seasoning with salt and pepper. Add in a cup of stock and simmer until meat is tender and most or all of the liquid has evaporated. Remove and reserve. Proceed with previous recipe

When finished use a spatula to spread or pipe the mashed potatoes over top. For best results use a potato ricer to make the potatoes.

Man that's waaaaay too complicated

1) brown ground beef and drain. Dump a can of cream of mushroom soup and a can of peas and carrots on it and stir it up real good

2) pour instant mashed potatoes(i like the idahoan brand, much more authentic) over the top and bake till just kinda crusty.
MichaelJ
AG
superunknown said:

FIDO*98* said:

Olive oil

3 tablespoons flour
1 cup frozen peas

Pre-heat oven to 400o F.

For Guinness pie

Man that's waaaaay too complicated

1) brown ground beef and drain. Dump a can of cream of mushroom soup and a can of peas and carrots on it and stir it up real good

2) pour instant mashed potatoes(i like the idahoan brand, much more authentic) over the top and bake till just kinda crusty.

Never accepting dinner invite from this guy
SACR
AG

Another option, but not as 'instant recipe':

3 large Russet potatoes
i bag frozen peas and carrots
4 slices thick cut bacon, sliced into small pieces
1 small onion, chopped
1 T. butter
2 T. all purpose flour
2/3 C. milk
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Boil potatoes in water until the skin splits. Pull potatoes out and put into cool water so they stop cooking. Once they are cool enough to touch, peel off all skin, and put through a ricer. Set riced potatoes aside.

Put 2 cups of frozen vegetables in pot of boiling water, bring pot to second boil, let simmer until done. Set aside.

Take four slices of thick cut bacon, slice them into small pieces, then fry them in a skillet over medium-high heat. Once bacon is cooked, add one small diced onion. Cook onion until translucent, then add butter. Once butter is melted, stir in the flour, cooking for about 30 seconds. Stir in the milk, and continue stirring until it thickens. Remove from heat, and stir in cooked corn, carrots, and peas, coating them.

Put mixture into a casserole bowl, top with riced potatoes. Bake in oven until potatoes are crisp.
MichaelJ
AG
Thanks. I know how to make shepherd's pie. But I know Fido does **** legit. And was curious his specific recipe
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.