Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Tell me your favorite casseroles

4,709 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MichaelJ
Tanya 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I love them. Don't care if others hate them.

But if you make or eat casseroles, what are your favorites?

I am looking for something new.
Duncan Idaho
throughout my entire childhood, The only time we had casseroles was when there was a tragedy (mom in the hospital, death in the family, etc)

I still associate them with feelings of death and sickness.
big ben
AG
Fidos KRC
Tanya 93
Duncan Idaho said:

throughout my entire childhood, The only time we had casseroles was when there was a tragedy (mom in the hospital, death in the family, etc)

I still associate them with feelings of death and sickness.
I'm sorry.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I always liked Pizza Casserole.
Bruce Almighty
AG
King Ranch chicken
Tanya 93
Bruce Almighty said:

King Ranch chicken
Love it!

Made that last week.
Tanya 93
AlaskanAg99 said:

Is that spiral noodles, pizza sauce, pepperoni, and black olives topped with mozzarella?
HTownAg98
Do gratins count?
FIDO*98*
AG
big ben said:

Fidos KRC

+1

Followed by my Guinness Shepherds Pie
AlaskanAg99
AG
Tanya 93 said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

Is that spiral noodles, pizza sauce, pepperoni, and black olives topped with mozzarella?

Something like that. I haven't had it since college but that sounds about right.
Tanya 93
HTownAg98 said:

Do gratins count?
Yes
schmendeler
AG
I love the zucchini casserole my mom makes for holidays. it's an old Pillsbury bake off recipe.

https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/italian-zucchini-crescent-pie/aa39028d-a17d-4ead-8892-16809d53a7fb

it's a staple at family holiday gatherings. I even liked it as a kid. I ate it with pizza sauce from the jar.
Koko Chingo
AG
King Ranch Chicken is always a favorite but probably not new.

Some other classics I like are Tamale Pie and Enchilada Casserole. You can do the enchilada casserole with just about anything, beef, pork, chicken or turkey. When I cook chicken I usually cook extra so the leftovers can be used to make an enchilada casserole.

I think I like enchilada casserole because it has some similarities to King Ranch Chicken.

It can be as simple as dipping corn tortillas in warm enchilada sauce to soften them up. Line the bottom of your casserole dish. Top with chicken, cheese, enchilada sauce, and whatever else you want to put in. Place more corn tortillas dipped in sauce on top of that and make another layer. Make as many layers as practical based on the depth of your dish.

You can make one half a little more fancy for the adults and the other half plain or minus the things your kids may not want.

This is one of those things we make to get rid of leftovers. I think it is made just a bit different each time depending on what is in the fridge.

Now I am hungry
62strat
AG
I've never had it myself, but my cat swears by her ass hole casserole.
Sooner Born
Tater Tot Hotdish.

I don't have a good recipe but there are plenty out there.
Tanya 93
Koko Chingo said:

King Ranch Chicken is always a favorite but probably not new.

Some other classics I like are Tamale Pie and Enchilada Casserole. You can do the enchilada casserole with just about anything, beef, pork, chicken or turkey. When I cook chicken I usually cook extra so the leftovers can be used to make an enchilada casserole.

I think I like enchilada casserole because it has some similarities to King Ranch Chicken.

It can be as simple as dipping corn tortillas in warm enchilada sauce to soften them up. Line the bottom of your casserole dish. Top with chicken, cheese, enchilada sauce, and whatever else you want to put in. Place more corn tortillas dipped in sauce on top of that and make another layer. Make as many layers as practical based on the depth of your dish.

You can make one half a little more fancy for the adults and the other half plain or minus the things your kids may not want.

This is one of those things we make to get rid of leftovers. I think it is made just a bit different each time depending on what is in the fridge.

Now I am hungry
Finally cold weather is here and I make a lot of casseroles because the two guys don't really like soups or stews very much. So I don't make them often and if I do, they are just frequently for me.

Casseroles are frequently made to use up the last bits in the fridge. Stratas are good for that.
Tanya 93
schmendeler said:

I love the zucchini casserole my mom makes for holidays. it's an old Pillsbury bake off recipe.

https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/italian-zucchini-crescent-pie/aa39028d-a17d-4ead-8892-16809d53a7fb

it's a staple at family holiday gatherings. I even liked it as a kid. I ate it with pizza sauce from the jar.
That filling sounds awesome! Thanks
Tailgate88
AG
62strat said:

Umm, what?
schmendeler
AG
Tailgate88 said:

62strat said:

Umm, what?
I guess cuz cats lick their own a hole.
62strat
AG
schmendeler said:

Tailgate88 said:

62strat said:

Umm, what?
She has it usually 3-4 times a week!
schmendeler
AG
62strat said:

schmendeler said:

Tailgate88 said:

62strat said:

Umm, what?
She has it usually 3-4 times a week!
that you know of.
notheranymore
There's one a friend in college used to make that she called boyfriend casserole. Similar to this:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/sour-cream-noodle-bake/

I don't remember cottage cheese, though. I thought she used cream cheese.
BlueMiles
AG
Green chili chicken lasagna.
mrsbeer05
AG
Husband loves tater tot casserole and it has significantly grown on me over the years.

ground beef + cream of mushroom soup + cheddar cheese + topped with tater tots

Sooner Born
It's tater tot hotdish. Get it right, chica.
mrsbeer05
AG
Sooner Born said:

It's tater tot hotdish. Get it right, chica.
Of course the Okie would think that
GAC06
AG
My mom used to make a cassarole that was macaroni, ground beef, crushed tomatoes, corn, bell peppers, onions, bacon, and topped with cheese. Easy and good
SACR
AG

Years and years ago my parents made a casserole with the politically correct name "Guinea Gop"

Basically, it was a sausage, peppers, onions, and potato bake like this one, but without the white wine or chicken stock

They would oil the baking dish, slice up 4-6 potatoes, line the slices first, then the sausage, then the peppers and onions

They would season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.

You could also top it with bacon.

Bake at 350 for 90 minutes or until potatoes are done.

ftworthag02
AG
my mom has made chicken & rice casserole for the past 40yrs. I don't have the recipe but:
can of cream of mushroom soup
package of onion soup mix
can of water
cup of rice
3lbs chicken thighs bone in (you can use breasts)

place chicken in 13x9 pan, pour rice over chicken, mix cream of mushroom soup, onion soup mix, and water and pour over chicken. Cover and bake. I will look for temp & time tonight
chilidogfood
AG
Passed down from the back of the can?
ftworthag02
AG
Probably!
beanbean
ftworthag02 said:

my mom has made chicken & rice casserole for the past 40yrs. I don't have the recipe but:
can of cream of mushroom soup
package of onion soup mix
can of water
cup of rice
3lbs chicken thighs bone in (you can use breasts)

place chicken in 13x9 pan, pour rice over chicken, mix cream of mushroom soup, onion soup mix, and water and pour over chicken. Cover and bake. I will look for temp & time tonight
I make a pretty easy chicken, rice, cheese casserole. Makes it easier if you have a rice steamer.

About 1.5 cups of rice (steamed)
One bag of frozen broccoli florets
One jar of Cheese Whiz (sounds kind of gross, but it's not)
One can of cream of chicken soup
2 cans of white chunk chicken (the 12.5 oz size)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Steam the rice
Heat the frozen broccoli up in the microwave for 5 minutes

Then combine the steamed rice, broccoli, Cheese Whiz, cream of chicken soup, and chicken all together in a 9X13 baking dish and heat for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

I've also done this with rotisserie chicken which is of course better that the canned chicken, but the convenience of the canned chicken can't be beat.
HTownAg98
The Summer Vegetable Gratin and the Potato Pave from ad hoc at home and the Hasselbeck Potato Gratin from seriouseats.com are my current favorites.
Tanya 93
HTownAg98 said:

The Summer Vegetable Gratin and the Potato Pave from ad hoc at home and the Hasselbeck Potato Gratin from seriouseats.com are my current favorites.
I have Ad Hoc.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.