Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Grill Thermometer Recs

1,672 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jh0400
jh0400
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need a rec for a dual probe (grate and meat) thermometer. I have a thermopro that I got off of Amazon, but after a few cooks I don't trust it.
JJWAGGIE
AG
Look up Smoke by Thermoworks. Pricier than others out there but it's by far the best one i have had.
plowboy1065
S
If only my Meater Block would finally get here
FIDO*98*
AG
JJWAGGIE said:

Look up Smoke by Thermoworks. Pricier than others out there but it's by far the best one i have had.

I finally bit the bullet after getting tired of looking at the ones in a drawer and trying to figure out which is least inaccurate
jh0400
AG
Ordered a Smoke.

HTownAg98
A thermoworks smoke or an igrill2. Weber has worked out the kinks for their igrill app, and it's working very well now. It's still not as perfect as the original igrill2 app, but it's pretty good.
agcrock2005
AG
I have a thermoworks smoke and an igrill2. Not sure if I'll ever use my smoke again. It's works well but doesn't hook to phone or have any of the app capabilities that make igrill2 so good. Igrill2 is more expensive I think (around 90-100 bucks) but I've had great luck. Cooked two briskets and two pork butts yesterday using them and they turned out awesome. I then cooked a pork tenderloin on it and set my phone to medium for it and at 135 it alerted me that it was almost ready and to pull at 145 to rest. Pretty cool.

Ps: I have the meater and it works well if I'm standing about 5 feet from my smoker. Otherwise it's trash.
plowboy1065
S
Great can't wait to have 4 useless probes
agcrock2005
AG
plowboy1065 said:

Great can't wait to have 4 useless probes
That's assuming you ever get them!
TXAG 05
AG
I have the igrill2 as well and it is great, only thing I would change would be that it connects to my phone over wireless instead of bluetooth
agfan2013
AG
Just upgraded from an igrill mini to an igrill 2 so I can use more probes. Both have worked great, build quality for their products seems to be pretty good as i've been pleased with the performance of both units.
Texmid
AG
I use the ThermaQ High Temp Kit. Started with the iGrill and found it wasn't reliable. The ThermaQ is great. Have been using it for about a year and a half with no issues.
agcrock2005
AG
Texmid said:

I use the ThermaQ High Temp Kit. Started with the iGrill and found it wasn't reliable. The ThermaQ is great. Have been using it for about a year and a half with no issues.
I've heard a lot of people say this about the igrill. I guess I'm just lucky. Mine has been spot on for about 50 cooks. Does the ThermaQ hook up to an app on phone/ipad?
Texmid
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Texmid said:

I've heard a lot of people say this about the igrill. I guess I'm just lucky. Mine has been spot on for about 50 cooks. Does the ThermaQ hook up to an app on phone/ipad?
I think they have a model that does. Mine does not. That is the one feature I wish it did have.
bigboykin
AG
I've been real happy with my iGrill 2 as well. I've seen some if the poor reviews and complaints, but I haven't experienced any issues.
bigboykin
AG
I've been really happy with my iGrill 2 as well. I've seen some of the poor reviews and complaints, but I haven't experienced any issues.
K_P
AG
+1 for igrill, use it for everything.
HTownAg98
I think most of the bad reviews came when Weber bought it and completely redesigned the app and rendered it completely useless for long cooks. It was so bad I wouldn't recommend it to anyone until they fixed it. Owners raised holy hell to restore the old functionality, and now that has been done.
FTAG 2000
AG
I got gifted an iGrill2, been using it side by side my FlameBoss.

Big disappointment has been the probes and their accuracy. The first two that came with the set were reading 15 degrees different from each other. Tried all four spots on the iGrill and this was consistent. Wrote them, they sent me two probes for my trouble, and neither of those matched up to the one good probe that came originally with the probe.

So I'm sitting here with four probes from them that all read different temps. I know my flameboss probe is accurate and one of the igrill probes measures accurately, but the other three from them all show higher than the known temp.

agcrock2005
AG
Wow...yeah I wouldn't be happy with mine if the temp probes were off by 15 degrees! That's weird that brand new probes would be off.
Texmid
AG
AG 2000' said:

I got gifted an iGrill2, been using it side by side my FlameBoss.

Big disappointment has been the probes and their accuracy. The first two that came with the set were reading 15 degrees different from each other. Tried all four spots on the iGrill and this was consistent. Wrote them, they sent me two probes for my trouble, and neither of those matched up to the one good probe that came originally with the probe.

So I'm sitting here with four probes from them that all read different temps. I know my flameboss probe is accurate and one of the igrill probes measures accurately, but the other three from them all show higher than the known temp.

That was the issue I was having as well. I returned it and bought the ThermaQ.
aggiedrew08
AG
i have an iGrill2, you can have 4 different temperature probes, and i love mine.
thann07
AG
agcrock2005 said:

I have a thermoworks smoke and an igrill2. Not sure if I'll ever use my smoke again. It's works well but doesn't hook to phone or have any of the app capabilities that make igrill2 so good. Igrill2 is more expensive I think (around 90-100 bucks) but I've had great luck. Cooked two briskets and two pork butts yesterday using them and they turned out awesome. I then cooked a pork tenderloin on it and set my phone to medium for it and at 135 it alerted me that it was almost ready and to pull at 145 to rest. Pretty cool.

Ps: I have the meater and it works well if I'm standing about 5 feet from my smoker. Otherwise it's trash.
http://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke-Gateway
FYI, you should check this out on the Smoke--this came out recently and is on my list. I really like the Thermoworks products, and this gives you the App/Wifi capabilities you want.

Also, other Thermoworks stuff:
http://www.thermoworks.com/ThermaQ-WiFi-Kit (similar bluetooth option is available if you don't have WiFi where you are cooking)
http://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4
FIDO*98*
AG
Got my Smoke in yesterday. Submerged the probe in ice water and less than 10 seconds later it read 32.4*. I then removed it and put it in a pan of simmering water and it read 211.8*. Similar results with my new MK4 Thermapen only faster.

Features are meaningless without accurate results. Can't speak for iGrill, but, the brands I owned previously had probes that looked suspiciously similar and not a single one read ice water and boiling water with the precision of the Smoke.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

Features are meaningless
huh?
agfan2013
AG
I do the same with an igrill and routinely check accuracy every 5 cooks or so to make sure they're still calibrated right. Never had the probe with the mini, or the multiple probes with the igrill 2, be more than 1-2 degrees from 32 or 212.
jh0400
AG
Checked the calibration on my Smoke last night. Got 33.4 in ice water and 212.3 in simmering water. Currently warming up the cooker for some spare ribs, and I already notice a difference between this thermometer and my cheap one.

ETA: the dome thermometer is reading 60 degrees higher than the grate level. I knew that the dome wasn't accurate, but I would've never guessed it was that far off.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.