Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Texas Ex-pat needs Mexican Food help

5,508 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggiebear69
JHShipley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Moved the family to Evergreen, CO this summer. Experiencing an absurd lack of Texas-quality cuisine.

Moved my smoker setup, so barbecue is handled.

Real problem is Mexican Food. Anyone have Denver area recommendations for Tex-mex? Alternatively, anyone have a good website or cookbook to reference for recipes?
schmendeler
AG
Casa Bonita
Duncan Idaho
schmendeler said:

Casa Bonita

It is a step below Pancho's in quality but so very very awesome.

Love going
JHShipley
AG
I'll bite. Below Panchos? Very very awesome?

Go on....
schmendeler
AG
https://vimeo.com/102528676
JHShipley
AG
Nice.

But seriously. Using a lifeline here!

Mexican food cookbooks/recipes....GO.
momlaw
AG
Cooking Texas Style

I have one of the original first editions. My sister sent it Christmas that year, our first in Alaska. It is the tattiest, most stained cookbook on my shelves of many dozen.

These are family recipes collected by two sisters. The Mexican, German, and other flags' traditional recipes are true and parallel some of our family recipes . When another edition was published I copied the new recipes and added to this book. Heck, I might need to get the most recent, 2013. There are only two in stock at this time.

Edited: 2 left in paperback reprints; more in hardcover 1993 edition.
momlaw
B-1 83
AG
schmendeler said:

Casa Bonita

/revision/latest?cb=20100503001904
JHShipley
JHShipley
AG
Great idea!
Duncan Idaho
http://www.homesicktexan.com/?m=1

Never disappoints
Duncan Idaho
schmendeler said:

It is a real place. With real cliff divers and gorillas

schmendeler
AG
I know. I just find it funny.
Duncan Idaho
I figured you did. I wanted the op to know
MichaelJ
AG
Homesick Texan website
AquaAg1984
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

http://www.homesicktexan.com/?m=1

Never disappoints
This. She describes one of the fundamental building blocks of true Tex Mex, and that is chili gravy.
Max Power
AG
As a fellow displaced Texan, but in the Midwest, I can vouch for the Homesick Texan. The first time I made the cheese enchiladas I almost cried because they made me so damn happy.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I use homesick Texan a lot. I also have 2 of her books.
Tanya 93
I concur with The Homesick Texan.
Aggie1
AG
https://whatscookingamerica.net/Soup/TolbertChili.htm

Tolbert's Original Bowl of Red Chili Recipe is by Frank X. Tolbert, from his book, A Bowl of Red, published by Texas A&M University Press, 1953. Frank Tolbert founded the Terlingua International Chili Championship in Terlingua, Texas and owned a chain of chili parlors in Dallas, Texas.

The most famous and well known chili cook-off took place in 1967 in Terlingua, Texas. Terlingua was once a thriving mercury-mining town of 5,000 people and it is the most remote site you can choose as it is not close to any major city and the nearest commercial airport is almost 279 miles away. Just getting to Terlingua requires a major effort. It was a two-man cook-off between Texas chili champ Homer "Wick" Fowler (1909-1972), a Dallas and Denton newspaper reporter, and H. Allen Smith (1906-1976), New York humorist and author, which ended in a tie.
Learn more about the history and legends of Chili, Chili Con Carne.

Tolbert's Original Bowl of Red Chili Recipe:

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Yield: serves many

Ingredients:

3 pounds lean beef
1/8 pound rendered beef kidney suet (if you want to go for it)
1 teaspoon each oregano, cumin powder, salt, cayenne pepper, and Tabasco
3 tablespoons chile powder (optional)
4 hot chile peppers
At least two chopped cloves of garlic
2 teaspoons masa harina, cornmeal, or flour (optional)*

* The masa adds a subtle, tamale-like taste, but it also thickens the chili. Masa Corn Mix is a tradition Mexican whole corn flour that is found in the baking aisle of most grocery stores (not to be confused with corn meal).

Instructions:

Sear beef in a large soup pot or cast-iron Dutch oven. You may need a little oil to prevent the meat from sticking. When the meat is all gray, add suet, chile peppers, and about two inches of liquid (you can use water, I use beer). Simmer for 30 minutes.

Add spices and garlic, bring just to boil; lower heat and simmer for 45 minutes. NOTE: Add more liquid only to keep the mix from burning. Skim off as much grease as you can, and add masa harina. Simmerfor another 30 minutes. Taste and adjust spices if necessary.

This is a spicy chili, so leave out some of the spicy stuff in the beginning if you have a tender tongue. At this point, I refrigerate the chili overnight which allows the chili to mellow and you can skim off all the grease.

Bruce Almighty
AG
The homesick Texan chili is awesome. I make it a few times a year.
JHShipley
AG
The Homesick Texan is a perfect description and recommendation!
smc05
We were Texas expats for ten years and Homesick Texan was my guide. Also, Fido's cheese enchiladas.
proudaggie02
AG
OP- I grew up in the Valley in South Texas, and I'm picky about Mexican food. I live in Lone Tree so I'm not very close to Evergreen. Here are a few:

-D'Corazon in downtown Denver: their pork carnitas is one of my favorite plates in Denver. Everything on it is great, including the rice, beans, and guacamole.
-El Sabor: there are a few around Denver, but I've only been to the Centennial location. Everything I've had is great, but I typically get the steak burrito w/ refried beans and rice. Reminds me of one of my favorite places in the valley.
-Yolanda's tacos: great street tacos; steak quesadillas; everything is at least above average.
-Rio Grande: It gets a lot of hate, but their cheese enchiladas are the best around & steak fajitas and quesadillas are really good. It's a proud "Tex Mex" place.
-La Loma: Havent been in a while, but good overall. Brisket enchiladas are great, and I think their cheese enchiladas are good if I remember correctly.
-Los Dos Potrillos: haven't been much lately. Huge menu & everything I've had is at least pretty good. Carnitas, enchiladas, and several other things.
-Tamale Kitchen: Great breakfast burritos. I'm picky about good retried beans, and they have some of the best. Also good: picadillo, tacos al carbon, and tamales are okay.
-Costa Vida: good burritos with lots of options.
-Federal: just google Mexican restaurants on Federal, and there are several authentic options. Not a nice part of town, but had some great meals when I was starving on the way home from skiing.
proudaggie02
AG
Also- where in TX did you move from? I don't really miss any Mexican restaurants in TX outside the Valley. I lived in Houston for five years before Denver, and I liked a few places (El Tiempo, Spanish Flower, and Lupe's was pretty good).... but I don't miss them.

Also, full disclosure is that I like all Mexican food. I'm not picky about it being "Tex Mex" as a lot of Texans are.
JHShipley
AG
Proud - thanks for your thoughtful response. We feel like we are definitely in the wilderness when it comes to Mexican or even Tex-mex food.

Native of Houston. El Tiempo and Lupe were definitely on the rotation. Goode Co Taqueria were faves as well.

Will immediately dig into your list and go to work.

Blue Parachute for you sir!

Ship'92
K2T2
Robb Walsh's Tex-Mex cookbook is a good one. It runs through some history of places you've probably eaten and miss, and has recipes that run the gamut from San Antonio chile queens to Los Tios to Molina's to Ninfa's all the way up to Chuy's.
JYDog90
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

schmendeler said:

A friend of mine was the gorilla...until he got fired for doing a cannonball off the cliff.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Tanya 93
willie wonka said:

Duncan Idaho said:

schmendeler said:

A friend of mine was the gorilla...until he got fired for doing a cannonball off the cliff.

That is awesome.
JYDog90
AG
It's a miracle he didn't drown in that freaking costume.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Garrelli 5000
AG
El Jardin in Commerce City is great. It's not the traditional tex-mex you're looking for, but it is a very good hybrid of Colorado style mexican and tex-mex.

It's my favorite green chili sauce. There's is actually red where most are green. Get it on cheese enchiladas, or get a chicharron and bean burrito, extra cheese, hot green chili, and sour cream on the side.

Bad ass burrito, my favorite on the planet.

www.iloveeljardin.com

JHShipley
p-wonk01
AG
For something like this I'd look for the Hispanic areas of town and try there.

W Alameda Ave / S. Federal Blvd.
Commerce City
East Colfax (careful)
Much of Aurora

I'm not sure it will be completely TexMex, but you'll get some more authentic food. Just a thought..

(I don't live in Denver, but do real estate for a restaurant chain and have to know my demographics)
JHShipley
Aggieangler93
AG
Ok...while we are at it, can someone post up a good Beef Enchilada recipe Tex Mex style?
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.