Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Questions for the cookie experts

877 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by txaggie_2011
bigtruckguy3500
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1) If you make and freeze your dough ahead of time, do you notice any degradation in taste?
2) What's the best way to bake two trays of cookies at one time in a crappy non-convection oven to prevent some from getting burnt while others don't bake completely? Or do I just have to do one tray at a time?
3) Any tips on getting flat cookies that collapse after cooling that are still a little gooey, kinda like the Sbisa cookies use to be?
4) Do you use baking powder, soda, both? I think soda helps more with flavor and browning,right?
5) I've tried browning my butter, but I can't seem to accomplish it. If I stop stirring for a second it starts to splatter, and if I just keep stirring it never seems to brown. Any tips on how to do this?
6) If I do brown my butter, do I have to add extra moisture to the cookie to account for water from the butter getting vaporized off?

Thanks, possibly more questions to come

Should also add that I'm primarily talking about chocolate chip cookies.
aggiespartan
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

1) If you make and freeze your dough ahead of time, do you notice any degradation in taste?
2) What's the best way to bake two trays of cookies at one time in a crappy non-convection oven to prevent some from getting burnt while others don't bake completely? Or do I just have to do one tray at a time?
3) Any tips on getting flat cookies that collapse after cooling that are still a little gooey, kinda like the Sbisa cookies use to be?
4) Do you use baking powder, soda, both? I think soda helps more with flavor and browning,right?
5) I've tried browning my butter, but I can't seem to accomplish it. If I stop stirring for a second it starts to splatter, and if I just keep stirring it never seems to brown. Any tips on how to do this?
6) If I do brown my butter, do I have to add extra moisture to the cookie to account for water from the butter getting vaporized off?

Thanks, possibly more questions to come

Should also add that I'm primarily talking about chocolate chip cookies.
Just saw this.

1) no, just wrap it really well with plastic wrap
2) if you bake 2 trays at once, I would rotate them at least once, depending on how long you plan on baking them. The baking time will probably increase with 2 trays.
3) I'm guessing you are talking about chocolate chip cookies. Here is a chart that can help you cookie chart
4) It depends what kind of cookie I'm making.
5) I don't put melted butter into my cookies. See chart above.
txaggie_2011
AG
5) in my experience it just takes time and patience. Don't use a dark non-stick pan. It makes it hard to see when the butter is starting to turn brown. Start by cutting the butter into pats so that it melts more evenly/consistently. Keep the heat on medium at the most. If the heat is too high you'll burn it before you can brown it. Be prepared to gently whisk it nearly the entire time; you want to keep the butter moving. The milk fat in the butter should start to slightly darken as the bubbles in the melted butter start shrinking in size and turning into foam/froth. As soon as you see it starting to turn a caramel color, turn off the heat but keep whisking. Then as soon as it darkens a bit more and looks brown, transfer it out of the pan so it stops cooking.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.