Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Venison Bourguignon

819 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bigboykin
FortWorthF3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any thoughts on this recipe? I've made beef bourguignon a number of times with the appropriate cut of meat but this calls for a venison backstrap/tenderloin. I understand the principle behind long cooking times for tougher meats. But could this dish result in a bourguignon type dish with a short cooking time of a meat that just seems fit for a very very short cook time? Or do you end up with some of the basic flavors and a tough meat?

Venison Bourguignon

I usually grill a full venison tenderloin for 2 minutes a side until its just rare and then slice and serve.
HTownAg98
The method is pretty solid, just the wrong cut of meat. I'd use rump or shoulder and do it in the traditional low and slow.
Greener Acres
AG
That's my thought, but I was just wondering about this particular recipe. It calls itself a quick version which makes sense for the cut of meat but I wonder if that cut can get tender enough.

Unfortunately I only have access to the tenderloin right now so I may just grill it.
bigboykin
AG
I would reverse sear the tenderloin (assuming it's big enough to stand up to it; if a small deer then just sear to M/R) and I'd make that bourguignon like a sauce to serve over sliced M/R tenderloin.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.