Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Momo***u Milk Bar birthday cake

1,621 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiespartan
aggiespartan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Decided to do nontraditional desserts for Thanksgiving. I've been working my way through the Milk cookbooks.

Max Power
AG
How did it taste? Got a couple things there one night at the cosmo in vegas and wasn't impressed. I had a shake and my wife had a slice of crack pie and neither was anything special.

Secret pizza on the other hand was damn good, would have rather had another slice.
aggiespartan
AG
It was pretty good. We had a slice of the cake at Cosmo. It tasted very similar. There aren't very many things that I think taste better in big batches than in small, though. It's a very moist cake. I did like the technique for putting it together. There are a couple other cakes in the book I'm going to try. I'm also going to try modifying the flavor of this one also.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Crack Pie, Candy Bar Pie and Marshmallow Cornflake Cookies are my favorite. The thing about the crack pie is it's so sugary that it actually makes you crave more.
aggiespartan
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Crack Pie, Candy Bar Pie and Marshmallow Cornflake Cookies are my favorite. The thing about the crack pie is it's so sugary that it actually makes you crave more.
There's one ingredient in the crack pie that I'm not too sure about. It's corn powder. I'm thinking it's probably corn starch?, but I can't find any explanation of it. I'm planning on making the crackle version of the crack pie soon too.
HTownAg98
It might be corn flour.
aggiespartan
AG
HTownAg98 said:

It might be corn flour.
Could be. She describes just about every other ingredient in the book. I tweeted her and didn't get an answer, but I guess that's to be expected.
MathNewman06
AG
"freeze dried corn ground into a fine powder"

http://bit.ly/2AhPpYZ
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Yep, go buy freeze dried corn at central market, it's in the snack section, and grind
aggiespartan
AG
I think the next thing I'm trying out of the book is a chocolate chip cake with passionfruit curd and coffee icing. I'll give the crack pie a try after that.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Reading the stories of how they came up with the recipes helps you understand what they are going to taste like as well.

I met her and had her sign my cookbook at her Austin pop up bake sale, she was pretty funny and suprised that a dude like me was cooking through her cookbook.

aggiespartan
AG
I've read both books cover to cover. I bought the books at Milk Bar in Vegas and I was surprised that all of the books there are signed. Apparently she was there the day before I stopped by, so I just missed her. They said that she is there pretty frequently.
aggiespartan
AG
I'm working on the chocolate chip cake now. The cake is delicious. My icing is starting to come together. I think this is going to be an amazing cake.
aggiespartan
AG
I'm going to take a better picture later, but here is the chocolate chip, passion fruit, coffee cake.

K2T2
Nice! How did the chocolate chip cake + passionfruit curd flavor combo work out? That's one I've always wanted to try it, but none of my friends are adventurous enough to take one as a birthday/occasion cake.

The corn cookies and cornflake/milkcrumb/chocolate chip cookies have become regulars in my baking rotation. I went vegan about a year and a half ago and have had a really good time veganizing the recipes, too, including the birthday cake! Next up, crack pie?!
aggiespartan
AG
K2T2 said:

Nice! How did the chocolate chip cake + passionfruit curd flavor combo work out? That's one I've always wanted to try it, but none of my friends are adventurous enough to take one as a birthday/occasion cake.

The corn cookies and cornflake/milkcrumb/chocolate chip cookies have become regulars in my baking rotation. I went vegan about a year and a half ago and have had a really good time veganizing the recipes, too, including the birthday cake! Next up, crack pie?!
The flavor combination was actually excellent. I was a little leery too, but they all went really well together. The coffee and the chocolate makes the passion fruit not quite to tart.

I've got to go get me some freeze dried corn before I can do some of the other recipes. I'm sort of having fun with these cakes. I may try some different combinations. I will tell you, that chocolate chip cake is delicious. We've been eating the scraps by itself. It is amazing.
dubi
AG
Link to the cookbook? This is intriguing!
aggiespartan
AG
Milk Bar
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.