Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Smoking Turkey

2,217 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Catfish
BB675
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Plan on smoking the Thanksgiving turkey this year on a rotisserie smoker. Any recommendations on wood and temperature settings?
GtownRAB
AG
Use some kind of milder wood, a little smoke on a bird goes a long way. Stay away from hickory or mesquite. I prefer some kind of fruit wood or oak.

Opinions on temp will vary, I prefer hotter, the 350 range. Cooks faster, has a milder smoke flavor, and crispier skin. Leave the low and slow for pork and beef.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Apple wood and 325.
FDT 1999
AG
YouTube Aaron Franklin's version. It has turned out awesome for us.
Long Live Sully
AG
And brine it if you can. I have had solid results with salt, sugar, sage and coarse black pepper dissolved in warm water and then cooled before brining overnight.
jel_2002
AG
Brine and use a fruit wood or pecan for smoke. Hot is good, 300+ degrees
tsuag10
AG
If you don't mind cheating a little, sodium phosphate is a game changer. If you order now, it might get to you before Wednesday.

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_215&products_id=760

For brining: Use it at about 1.0% of the weight of the water. So if you have a 15 lb bird, 2-3 gallons of water, use 0.25 lb of sodium phosphate in addition to your salt, sugar, and other ingredients.

Make sure and dissolve it in the water first, then dissolve the salt and sugar. Otherwise, you will be stirring for a while.

Also, I don't really care for the idea of dissolving the ingredients in hot water and then cooling them down. In some rare cases, the ingredients can "come out" of the solution when it is chilled down quickly. You should normally have no issue getting everything dissolved in either tap or cold water; you just might have to spend a little more time mixing real well.

Edit to adjust the formulation
CrawfordAg
AG
Has anyone spatchcocked a turkey?
BQ78
AG
Oak, 275, take off the skin, even amounts of salt and pepper.
Roger That
AG
CrawfordAg said:

Has anyone spatchcocked a turkey?

That's how I normally do mine - only problem is you don't get a "pretty" looking bird pre-carving.
Mule_lx
AG
I have done 325-350 for years with a digital probe in the breast. I've only used oak, but I am going to try it with pecan this year.

AND BRINE IT!
jel_2002
AG
I usually spatchcock. Seems to cook more evenly for me that way and easy to carve.
bbry81
always spatchcock mine. I also am a hot one usually 325. I dry brine it instead of the normal brine. I think it gives it a better texture
Blanco Jimenez
AG
So cooking at that temperature, how long does it usually take per pound? Cooking to an internal temp of 165 correct?
The Catfish
AG
For those smoking your first turkey, suggest you read this. I followed the brine 48 hours, compound butter under skin, smoke at 275ish w cheesecloth method the first time I cooked one. Turned out incredible and I still follow it for the most part today. This is a great info source on the turkey game. Hope the link works below.

Don't know how to make the link work but here it is:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010Turkey101.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwj4yKCvwv_XAhWISd8KHRNlB1EQFghYMAY&usg=AOvVaw3weeNSwF5ugI4gssFz1vul
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.