Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Klobasniks on a Sunday Afternoon.

3,205 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by schmendeler
Demosthenes81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I decided to get back into the kitchen and try out a new recipe for kolache dough by baking up some klobasniks (sausage). My major criticism of the kolaches you get from West and similar commercial operations is that they are not my mama's. And by that I mean the dough is too bready and thick. My mother's were always light and thin but with a definite yeast taste. Sort of a blend of pastry and bread dough. I found this recipe here: http://www.texasczechs.com/recipes. The addition of evap milk and only egg yolks has been the best approximation of the kolaches of my memory. I did not have any Czech sausage in the house but I did have a large pack of Eckridge Kielbasa in natural casing. I peeled the casing off and warmed it with a generous doctoring of pepper and garlic and just a pinch of cayenne. It came out very juicy and peppery. I am definitely going to invest in a decent stand mixer. Moving that much dough in a bowl with a spoon is a workout.

Recipe:

• 2 packages dry yeast
  • 1/2 cup lukewarm water
  • 2 cups lukewarm milk
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 small can evaporated milk (=5.33 oz =approximately 2/3 cup)
  • about 8 cups flour
  • 5 egg yolks
  • 1/3 cup melted butter
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • 3 drops lemon extract
  • 2 to 2 1/2 pounds cooked, cool smoked sausage
[ol]
  • In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in lukewarm water. Add milk, sugar, evaporated milk, and 4 cups flour. Mix thoroughly until smooth, cover and let rest at least 1 hour in a warm place.
  • In a separate bowl place egg yolks, melted butter, oil, salt, and lemon extract. Mix with mixer. Add this to first mixture and blend. Add 3 1/2 to 4 cups of flour gradually and mix well using a wooden spoon until smooth.
  • Cover and let rise until double in bulk.
  • Place a third of the dough at a time on floured board. Sprinkle flour on top of dough and roll out with rolling pin to about 1/3 inch thickness. Cut in squares about 2x2 inches or a little larger. Place cooked, cool sausage pieces on each square and enclose, sealing edges.
  • Place on greased baking sheet with sealed edge on bottom. Brush lightly with melted butter and let rise until double in size. Bake at 425 deg F until light golden brown, about 10 minutes. Yields 6 dozen.
  • Some prefer to brush done kolaches with evaporated milk or melted butter after they have cooled down slightly after removal from the oven.
  • [/ol]
    Bruce Almighty
    AG
    Those are some good looking kolaches
    tamutaylor12
    Bruce Almighty said:

Solid troll
    AgsMnn
    AG
    Have you tried it making fruit kolaches yet?

Needing a solid recipe to make some this year
    Demosthenes81
    AG
    AgsMnn said:

Have you tried it making fruit kolaches yet?

Needing a solid recipe to make some this year

Fruit and homemade farmer's cheese will probably get tried during Thanksgiving break. If I get real industrious I may break out the poppyseed grinder
    Bruce Almighty
    AG
    tamutaylor12 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Solid troll

Damn right
    FtBendTxAg
    AG
    Thanks for the sausage kolache recipe. Will try this wknd.
    FIDO*98*
    AG
    Bruce Almighty said:

tamutaylor12 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Solid troll

Damn right

But do you know the other thing you got wrong?

*Hint* the OP screwed it up too
    Demosthenes81
    AG
    Just because my ancestors were too poor to afford "s"s in the old country doesn't mean I have to live in pluralization poverty too.
    FIDO*98*
    AG
    Your comment about the dough is exactly why I think the debate over kolach vs klobasnik is so dumb. If you go to Czech Republic and find a Kolach, you get a small thin pastry with a little fruit and almost no sweetness. The Kolache in Texas are no more authentic than the Klobasniki so fugg it......call them all what you want and be happy that what we've got is a hell of a lot better than our Eastern European cousins.

Nice job on the Kolaches OP

Cancelled
    AG
    The interesting thing is that the sausage ones aren't even traditional Czech. They were invested in the Us. Kind of like an English muffin or a fortune cookie. So, I could really care less about whether I call it a kolache, klobasnik or a pig in a blanket.

Oh, and German food is better than Czech food.
    cosc11
    AG
    Took my first shot at it this morning. I made the dough last night and finished it off this morning. The bread wasn't as fluffy as I would like, it was a little dense. The outside turned out a little harder than most kolaches I've had. Not quite sure where I went wrong. Not a lot of experience with baking breads but I'll give it another shot.
    Na Zdraví 87
    AG
    Good looking klobasniks. My favorite is pan sausage like the one's at Hruska's.
    agfan2013
    AG
    I unfortunately am a bad Czech and prefer these over a true kolache (although I'm not gonna say no to peach, apple, or cream cheese filling ones either), so I'm gonna have to give this a try. I like the above suggestion about using pan or breakfast sausage as well as a substitute for some of them.

Also, my 81 year old 100% Czech grandmother who is only 2 generations removed from the ancestors who immegrated here, calls these kolaches as well for those of you who get your panties in a wad over it. And I'd bet she's made more of both than a lot of people as she used to bake for the kolache festival in Caldwell for many years.
    schmendeler
    AG
    those are some good looking strudel.
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.