Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Instant Pot and Slow Cooker

4,009 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bkag9824
Keeper of The Spirits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have both but limited kitchen real estate. They both are multifunction: Brown, saut,steam and slow cook plus the Instant Pot does rice and pressure.

I am trying to find a reason to keep the Slow cooker around but I haven't found a reason yet.

Anything the TexAgs hive mind can think of to save the slow cooker
rhoswen
AG
Pot lucks/tailgates?

I'm the opposite. I see no purpose in an instant pot when I like my slowcookers just fine.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I see you on the Tailgate/Potluck part, although the Instant Pot has a slow cook function, the lid makes it more difficult to serve from.

Instant Pot will do everything, besides being an easy serving vessel, that my slow cooker will, with the added bonus of being a rice cooker and pressure cooker. I take a lot of my slow cooker recipes and make them in the pressure cooker in 1/4 of the time.
BAT2007
AG
I have both a slow cooker and an IP but if I had to choose it would hands down be the IP.

I love it for my food prep on the weekends and for quick meals during the week to make shredded chicken, rice, beans, risotto, pasta, etc. I actually have two IPs (the 6qt and the 3qt)

I also like that you can cook from frozen if you forgot to thaw out the meat. I've used frozen chicken and frozen ground beef before with delicious results.
It is not recommended to cook from frozen in a slow cooker however I know people have done it.

I personally haven't used my slow cooker in years but since I have the storage space then I keep it just in case.

Also, if you would like a lid that works better for the slow cooking part and for serving, there is a glass lid you can purchase
IP Glass Lid

Bruce Almighty
AG
I have both and never use my slow cooker. The instant pot can do everything a slow cooker can and more.
Max Power
AG
I have a slow cooker and a pressure cooker, nothing can take the place of a pressure cooker, but a dutch oven does a better job than a slow cooker anyway. Granted I don't know that you want to leave your house with a stove on like you can with a slow cooker.
bigtruckguy3500
I don't have an instant pot, but between an IP and a slow cooker, I'd choose an IP.

If I had a pressure cooker and a slow cooker, I don't think I'd have a need for an IP. But I'd prefer an IP and a pressure cooker.
musicforall
When I got (and got used to using) my IP, I gave away my 6 qt crockpot. But I kept, and still use, my 3 qt crockpot. I can start one part of the meal in the morning in the crockpot and the other part of the meal in the IP when I get home. Also, I like to keep my potatoes warm in the crockpot at Thanksgiving, so I think I would miss it.

I am a long time crockpot user, but I am really liking the IP. I use it at least 3 times a week, mostly chicken dishes and hardboiled eggs.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Doing eggs in the instant Pot stinks up my house, prior to me eating them? Am I doing something wrong.
Hodor
AG
Max Power said:

I have a slow cooker and a pressure cooker, nothing can take the place of a pressure cooker, but a dutch oven does a better job than a slow cooker anyway. Granted I don't know that you want to leave your house with a stove on like you can with a slow cooker.

I agree. I prefer to use my Dutch oven in the oven on a low temp setting over the slow cooker. Better low simmer imo.
AG
My wife and I love our slow cooker user and use it at least 3 times a week since we both work. I've never given any thought to using an IP. Does it keep your finished food as tender and juicy as a slow cooker? Is the flavor just as good?
AggieBarstool
ol_army12 said:

My wife and I love our slow cooker user and use it at least 3 times a week since we both work. I've never given any thought to using an IP. Does it keep your finished food as tender and juicy as a slow cooker? Is the flavor just as good?
Yes, and in about 30 minutes vs. 6 hours.
cr
AggieBarstool said:

ol_army12 said:

Yes, and in about 30 minutes vs. 6 hours.

So you can cook a pot roast in 30 minutes?
NATE AG03
AG
In my experience it takes a little longer than that, but a lot depends on if you do a quick release or a natural release. If you do a natural release, add about 20 minutes.

Here's an article where they test cooking times of 20 minutes, 45 minutes, 75 minutes all using natural release method.

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/best-pot-roast-cooking-time-in-pressure-cooker/
cr
NATE AG03 said:

In my experience it takes a little longer than that, but a lot depends on if you do a quick release or a natural release. If you do a natural release, add about 20 minutes.

Here's an article where they test cooking times of 20 minutes, 45 minutes, 75 minutes all using natural release method.

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/best-pot-roast-cooking-time-in-pressure-cooker/

thanks!
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
It seem like the best pot roast was total time between 1 hour and 40 mins and 2 hours an 10 mins:

• 20 mins browning,
  • 5 min to saute the veg
  • 5 mins to pressure up,
  • between 45 mins and 75 mins
  • 25 mins to release.

Of course if you don't want the best, you could do pot roast like a lot of people and just throw in all the ingredients and set for 25 mins. So you could have good pot roast in an hour.

This discussion has made me thing that I maybe be at least boxing the slow cooker and taking it to the garage, to see if I will actually need it again. I will probably wait until after the holidays because at bare minimum it another heating device. Last Christmas at one time I had the Instant Pot, Slow Cooker, Sous Vide, stove, oven, smoker, and vitamix going at one time.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Here a consumer reports article that just popped up on my news reader:

Countertop Face-Off: Can the Instant Pot Replace All Those Other Appliances?

Quote:

Instant Pot vs. T-Fal CY505E Electric Pressure Cooker
Instant Pot vs. Crock-Pot SCCPVL610-S Slow Cooker TIE
Instant Pot vs. Aroma ARC-914SBD Rice Cooker
Instant Pot vs. Hamilton Beach 37530Z Steamer
Instant Pot vs. Euro Cuisine YM100 Yogurt Maker TIE
Instant Pot vs. Nu-Wave PIC Flex Precision 30532 Induction Cooktop
Instant Pot vs. Oster Triple Warming Tray CKSTBSTW00

CR's Take

"Even when the Instant Pot doesn't perform as well as a single-purpose countertop appliance, this one pot delivers," Deitrick says. "And it eats up a lot less counter and storage space than the seven appliances it replaces."
I tend to agree, I will however move the Crock Pot the the Garage to use as an additional warming cooking device.
law80
AG
We just got the Mini Lux 3 Qt and before we open it we were wondering if it is big enough to fit an average size pot roast or pork shoulder for slow cooking? We were thinking about taking it back and getting the 5 Qt but really liked that this one had the Egg program feature on it.
Bulldog73
AG
We just got a 6 qt and have only made Chili so far. A 3 qt seemed too small for that type of cooking, and we didn't want to deal with the behmouth of 8 qt.
notheranymore
Just used my IP for the first time last night. Very happy. Made pozole from this site: skinnytaste.com
turfman80
AG
Got the IPDuo 6 qt. as an early Christmas present to myself and am very impressed so far. Turkey carcass from Thanksgiving turned into a great broth and mushroom risotto in a snap.
bam02
AG
We got an 8 qt a couple of weeks ago. It's definitely cumbersome. I think I'm happy with the size for our family of 4, but we also got one for each our mom's and I think 6 qt would be better. It's pretty heavy with the lid on.

Loving it so far.
bkag9824
AG
Use our IP regularly (at least 3 times a week). Huge space/time saver.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.