Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

whats your best soup recipe?

10,429 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Rexter
gigemJTH12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need some ideas. what do ya got?

Bruce Almighty
AG
pressure cooker french onion soup
FincAg
AG
Potato soup

8 10 baking potatoes, diced (skin optional) about 4 lbs.
1 can chicken broth
1 tsp. Knorr chicken boullion
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 tsp. salt
tsp. veg. magic
tsp. white pepper

1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 pint half and half
stick butter (4 Tab.)
8 oz. sour cream

2 4 Tab. bacon bits
cheddar cheese, grated

Place potatoes in large pot and cover with 4 to 6 cups of water. Add seasonings, chicken broth, boullion, and onions. Bring to boil. Simmer till tender. Mash partially.
Add remainder of ingredients and cook 30 minutes
*Simmer do NOT boil.
Garnish with bacon bits and grated cheese.
gigemJTH12
AG
heck yeah. was hoping for potato. im all over this.
Ogre09
AG
I like this taco soup. It's super easy, makes enough for a crowd, and tastes great, but won't win you any chef skill points.

2 lb ground beef
1 onion
2 can ranch style beans
1 can kidney beans
2 cans corn
4 cans stewed tomatoes
1 package taco seasoning
1 package dry ranch dressing

Brown meat and onion
Add everything else
Simmer at least 40 minutes, longer is better up to a couple hours
Even better refrigerated overnight to let flavors mingle
Serve with rice, tortilla chips, or fritos and shredded cheese and sliced jalapeos
nonag97
Mushroom Soup

4 cups low sodium chicken broth
23 cup nonfat dry milk powder
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
4 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon dry sherry
12 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
1 12 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

In a small bowl, combine broth and dry milk. Set aside.

Heat butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and both chopped and sliced mushrooms. Cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes.

Uncover and adjust temperature to high. Allow moisture to evaporate.

Stir in flour.

With a wire whisk, blend chicken broth and milk mixture into mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil.

Add sherry, lemon rind, parsley and lemon juice.

Stir to mix well. Serve hot.
nonag97
Beer Cheese Velveeta Soup

1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. flour
1-3/4 cups milk
1/2 lb. (8 oz.) Velveeta, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup beer
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
few drops hot pepper sauce

Melt butter in large saucepan on medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook 3 min. or until crisp-tender, stirring frequently. Add flour; mix well. Cook 2 min. or until hot and bubbly, stirring frequently.

Stir in milk until blended; bring to boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 3 to 5 min. or until thickened. Simmer on low heat 5 min., stirring occasionally.

Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Cook 5 min. or until VELVEETA is completely melted and soup is heated through, stirring constantly.
nonag97
White "Chili"

1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
4 cups 1/2-inch cubes cooked chicken or turkey
3 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
2 teaspoons ground red chilies or Chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 cans (15 to 16 oz each) great northern beans, undrained
1 medium tomato, chopped (3/4 cup)
Blue or yellow corn tortilla chips
Shredded cheese

Melt butter in 4-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic in butter, stirring occasionally until onion is tender.

Stir in remaining ingredients except tomato and tortilla chips. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Serve with tomato, cheese and tortilla chips.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
If you're looking for an easy potato soup that is really good.....

28 oz. frozen Ore Ida O'Brien potatoes
45 oz. fat-free chicken broth
2 ea. 2.75 oz. pkgs. Pioneer Country Gravy mix
S&P to taste

Optional:
Diced ham
Grated cheddar cheese
Chopped green onions

In a 5-qt. pot cook the potatoes in the broth over medium low heat for 45 minutes. Whisk the gravy mix with one cup of water until smooth and add to the potato mixture (and optional ham) and stir thoroughly. Add S&P to taste and cook until heated. Do not overcook or potatoes will tend to disintegrate. Serve topped with optional cheese and green onions.
fta09
AG
I call this green chile stew, but it's probably more soupy than a stew anyway.

1 Chuck roast
1 bag baby Dutch yellow potatoes, cut into 1/2" pieces
2 Anaheim peppers (or Hatch if you have them)
4 - 6 Serrano peppers (decrease or use jalapeno depending on taste), cut in to rounds
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
8 C chicken stock
Oil
Salt
Pepper

Heat oven to 275F.

Season chuck roast with salt on all sides then set aside.

Roast, peel, then chop Anaheim peppers. Sometimes I do the serranos as well, up to you.

Cut and dice remaining ingredients.

Heat oil in a large cast iron dutch oven over high heat. Pat chuck roast dry and season with salt and pepper. Sear chuck roast in dutch oven in as large of pieces as possible on all sides. Set aside to cool, then cut in to cubes.

Lower heat on dutch oven to medium and cook onion until softened. Add garlic until fragrant.

Add all ingredients to dutch oven and cover with chicken stock (~6 C for me, so I buy two boxes). Add 1 tsp salt and pepper to taste. Place in oven with lid slightly opened for 2.5 - 3 hours.

I finish this in the oven because you get a much better browning on the top of the soup/stew than you would by simmering on the stove top. I suggest this for any darker soup or chili you want to make.

My wife puts cheese on top of hers, but I eat it plain or dip flour tortillas in it. We've also used the leftovers to make burritos by straining the soup out and using the meat, potatoes, and veggies.
Max Power
AG
That's beer velveeta soup, not beer cheese soup.
nonag97
Max Power said:

That's beer velveeta soup, not beer cheese soup.
Touche, but it's dang delicious. Now that I have sodium citrate for making queso I should probably give it a go making this soup.
fta09
AG
You're already using milk. May as well shred some cheese and make queso that way.
JFrench
AG
No real recipe but i make sodium citrate cheese soups. Just thin it out with broth as desired. Drop in broccoli florets or mix in carrot puree.
Kurt Gowdy
AG
Pioneer Woman's potato soup is one of my cool weather staples.

The taco soup above sounds good too.
rhoswen
AG
This is my favorite fall soup.

All spices to taste, of course, and it's easy easier with an immersion blender. No need for palm sugar, just use brown or honey.

ngredients:
1/2 pound cauliflower, cleaned, cut into large florets
1/2 pound carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 cup of celery, finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 medium onion, cut into large dice
3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon palm sugar
1/2 quart vegetable broth
1/2 cup evaporated milk
salt and ground pepper to taste

Method:

To start making Roasted Cauliflower and Carrot Creamy Vegetable Soup, preheat the oven to 400'F. Cover the baking tray with foil paper. Toss the cauliflower and carrot with olive oil, generous amount of salt and pepper along with palm sugar. Spread out on the prepared baking tray and roast them until golden brown turning once. This might take 25 to 30 minutes. Once ready keep aside.
Meanwhile heat the butter in a soup pot over medium high heat. Add the onion, celery and cook until softened. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the ground cumin, paprika, red pepper flakes, roasted vegetables and cook for couple of minutes.
Add the broth and bring to boil. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes to blend the flavors. Work in batches, transfer the vegetable mixture to a blender. Puree until smooth.
Return to the soup pot and stir in the evaporated milk. Add water if necessary to thin the consistency of the soup. Check for salt and pepper. Heat through and serve hot.
rhoswen
AG
Crawfish Bisque (to die for)

Ingredients
4 Tbsp butter, unsalted
1 bunch green onion
1 c onions, diced
1 c red bell pepper
3 c heavy whipping cream
3 c half and half
2 c chicken or seafood stock
1 Tbsp tomato paste
2 lb crawfish tails
1 Tbsp creole seasoning
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 thyme, leaves
1 bay leaf
1 lemon zest, grated
Directions
1. Saute diced onion, red bell pepper, and green onions in melted butter until soft. Add Crawfish tails and simmer, remove from heat.
2. Add in tomato paste and stock, whisk together well. Slowly add heavy whipping cream, half and half while whisking on low heat.
3. Add Crawfish mixture and seasonings. Simmer and stir until mixture is thickened. Serve with lemon zest and a side of french bread.
rhoswen
AG
Potato & Corn Chowder

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, chopped
5 1/2 cups water
6 bullion cubes
3 medium sized potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups frozen corn
1 to 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
black pepper, to taste
fresh parsley for garnish
Instructions
Melt the butter in a large saucepan (or medium soup pot) and stir in onion and carrots.
Cook vegetables over medium heat for 9 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally in a partially covered pan.
Add the water, bullion cubes, corn, potato, and salt and bring the mixture to a low boil.
Lower the heat, cover the pot, and simmer for 7 minutes (until the potatoes are just tender).
Whisk together the cream and flour in a small bowl.
Stir the mixture into the soup and add pepper to taste.
Bring the soup back to a low boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for another 8 minutes.
Serve hot, garnished with parsley. (and then refrigerate and enjoy leftovers for the rest of the week!)
rhoswen
AG
I love soup so I make it a lot. I also have several others, more basic like ham bone & bean, French onion, chicken tortilla, etc. Also if you like cold soups I have the best gazpacho recipe.
gigemJTH12
AG
you buying frozen crawfish for this?
schmendeler
AG
Carrabba's Sausage and Lentil Soup
rhoswen
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

you buying frozen crawfish for this?

Usually, cuz I usually make this in the fall.
Ogre09
AG
rhoswen said:

I love soup so I make it a lot. I also have several others, more basic like ham bone & bean, French onion, chicken tortilla, etc. Also if you like cold soups I have the best gazpacho recipe.

Share more, please.

I'm trying the cauliflower and carrot one this week.
AlaskanAg99
AG
My tortilla soup recipe that I made last night.

2 onions, chopped
8 Clove's garlic, minced

1. Saute all this down in a stock pot

Then add low sodium chicken broth, 2 of the boxes
Add 28oz can of crushed tomatoes, I used some with green chilies already in it.
Add spices, 1 tap cumin, 1 tbl coarse salt
Juice of 2 limes

2. Simmer all that for 20mins

While that's going either quick cook some chicken breasts OR get a season rotisserie chicken. This is already precooked so it saves you time. Shred it off the bone both white and dark meat and set aside.

Get some tortillas and cut them in 1/4" strips, in a frying pan cook them till crispy in oil. I usually use a pack of 20 tortialls from HEB. Take 1/3 of these and toss them in the stock pot with the onions and broth nd tomatoes.

After simmering the stock, get out the blender and puree everything in the stock pot together. The cooked tortialls give it texture. I usually need another stock pot so I got from A to blender to B. Kinda sucks to wash another pot.

Now add your chicken to the soup.

That's kind of the basic recipe. Lately after the blender treatment I add the chicken and then corn kernels and a can of rinised black beans.

To serve add some cooked tortilla strips to a bowl, then add soup, then add shredded cheese, avocado chunks and a little sour cream. And chopped cilantro.

Have a beer, enjoy dinner and the knowledge you'll be eating this all week and that someone else has to clean the kitchen you just destroyed.

PRO-TIP: when blending it together only fill it 1/2 full. The blades will push the boiling soup up and if your hand isn't holding the lid down you will make an epic mess. I add a towel between my hand and the lid because I have made said epic boiling soup mess.

Takes about an hour to make.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Italian Wedding Soup

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/italian-wedding-soup-recipe-1945517
TMfrisco
AG
Hard Rock Cafe Baked Potato Soup - Bake the potatoes the day before and put in the fridge

READY IN:
1hr 30mins
SERVES:

Directions
[ol]
  • Saut the onions in the reserved bacon drippings over medium high heat until transparent, about 3 minutes.
  • Add flour, stirring to prevent lumps; cook for 3-5 minutes, until mixture just begins to turn golden.
  • Add chicken stock gradually, whisking to prevent lumps until liquid thickens.
  • Reduce heat to simmer and add potatoes, cream, chopped bacon, parsley, garlic, basil, salt substitute, red pepper sauce and black pepper.
  • Simmer for 10 minutes; DO NOT allow to boil.
  • Add grated cheese and green onions, heat until cheese melts smoothly.
  • Garnish each serving as desired with chopped bacon, grated cheese and chopped parsley.
  • [/ol]
    Ag MD 84
    AG
    Get an immersion blender, won't need a second pot. Use mine all the time and they're cheap.
    TMfrisco
    AG
    America's Test Kitchen Creamless Creamy Tomato Soup

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
    1 medium onion, chopped medium (about 1 cup)
    3 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 tablespoon)
    pinch hot red pepper flakes (optional)
    1 bay leaf
    2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes packed in juice
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    3 large slices good-quality sandwich bread, crusts removed, torn into 1-inch pieces
    2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    2 tablespoons brandy (optional)
    Salt and ground black pepper
    1/4 cup chopped fresh chives

Instructions
    Serves 6 to 8

If half of the soup fills your blender by more than two-thirds, process the soup in three batches. You can also use an immersion blender to process the soup directly in the pot. For an even smoother soup, pass the pureed mixture through a fine-mesh strainer before stirring in the chicken broth in step 2. Serve this soup with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches for a Crowd or topped with Butter Croutons (see related recipes).

1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion, garlic, red pepper flakes (if using), and bay leaf. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and their juice. Using potato masher, mash until no pieces bigger than 2 inches remain. Stir in sugar and bread; bring soup to boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until bread is completely saturated and starts to break down, about 5 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf.

2. Transfer half of soup to blender. Add 1 tablespoon oil and process until soup is smooth and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to large bowl and repeat with remaining soup and oil. Rinse out Dutch oven and return soup to pot. Stir in chicken broth and brandy (if using). Return soup to boil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve soup in individual bowls. Sprinkle each portion with pepper and chives and drizzle with olive oil.

Martin Cash
    AG
    Here's as soup recipe I perfected when the kids were small. The only one they'd eat.

1 lb. ground beef, browned
    1 Lg can tomatoes (I used home canned tomatoes)
    1 Lg can tomato sauce
    1 Lg onion, chopped
    1 pkg carrots, chopped
    2 bell peppers, chopped
    6 stalks celery, chopped
    2-3 large potatoes, diced
    2 cloves garlic
    1 beef bouillon cube
    1 TBS Greek Seasoning
    1 tsp Season Salt
    1 TBS Chili Powder
    2 Bay leaves
    16 cups water
    shell noodles
    salt and pepper
    BadAttitude
    BadAttitude
    I substitute a can of whole kernel corn for the hominy.
    I Play With Guns
    S
    I make a killer cabbage soup!! Let me dig up the recipe later and I'll post it.
    I Play With Guns
    S
    Found it

INGREDIENTS:
    1-2 lbs ground chuck
    1 celery stalk chopped
    1 bell pepper chopped
    1 bunch green onions chopped
    2 cans stewed tomatoes - chopped
    1 can mild rotel tomatoes
    1 can tomato sauce
    1/2 head cabbage - cut in small pcs
    Tony's and garlic to taste

DIRECTIONS:
    1 - saut ground chuck, season with a little Tony's and garlic
    2 - add celery and bell pepper saut until tender
    3 - add tomato ingredients
    4 - add cabbage
    5 - add green onions
    6 - season with Tony's and garlic to taste

Cover and simmer until cabbage is tender, @ 1 hour.

Can be served by itself or over rice.
    spadilly
    S
    Agasaurus Tex said:

If you're looking for an easy potato soup that is really good.....

28 oz. frozen Ore Ida O'Brien potatoes
    45 oz. fat-free chicken broth
    2 ea. 2.75 oz. pkgs. Pioneer Country Gravy mix
    S&P to taste

Optional:
    Diced ham
    Grated cheddar cheese
    Chopped green onions

In a 5-qt. pot cook the potatoes in the broth over medium low heat for 45 minutes. Whisk the gravy mix with one cup of water until smooth and add to the potato mixture (and optional ham) and stir thoroughly. Add S&P to taste and cook until heated. Do not overcook or potatoes will tend to disintegrate. Serve topped with optional cheese and green onions.

This is now in our regular rotation. Thanks!
    Agasaurus Tex
    AG
    Good to hear.
    Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.