Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Cactus Pear

1,347 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Burdizzo
Burdizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would titled this differently but I know the filter doesn't like the word pr ickly.

Our HEB has cactus fruit for $0.33 each. I asked the foodie if she had any recipes besides jelly for pear. She gave me a recipe for a marinade with baked chicken and potatoes. It was ok but nothing specIal.

Anyone got suggestion on what to do with prcikly pear that don't include jelly?
Potcake
AG
I've had a margarita made with a tuna, but maybe that was with the jelly, I'm not sure.
HTownAg98
Read this: http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/fresh-*****ly-pear-ice/

Change the censored text to what you think it is.
EFE
AG
I have a great uncle that makes wine out of pear tunas
JimShorts
AG
Make a syrup with it and put it over lemon meringue pie
BurnetAggie99
My Spainish grandma makes everything from jelly, syrup, sobet, tea, lemonade, and even candy from the fruit
Ag MD 84
AG
Infuse a bottle of silver tequila and impress your friends with purple margaritas.
Duncan Idaho
NM Google told me tuna was mexican for fruit
B-1 83
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

I have a great uncle that makes wine out of pear tunas
Had a soil Scientist buddy knock out the better part of a bottle one night at deer camp. He wasn't right for 2 days.
Burdizzo
AG
Made some jelly this weekend. Hope it doesn't suck.

I also made some strawberry jam. I had about half a jar of strawberry jam and half a jar of p-pear left so they got blended in the last jar. I will be interested to see how that turns out.
EFE
AG
Well this great uncle is the only one still alive in the family from his generation, so maybe there's something to it...
RGV AG
AG
I ate the sheet out of them as a kid, ice cold they are a great eating fruit, just have to eat around the seeds a little. Don't know why, but they always seem bigger and sweeter in Mexico for some reason.
Potcake
AG
We were coming back from Laredo once and I stopped to get a few off of a cactus. Got about a hundred teeny spines in my hand. Don't ever do that.
Burdizzo
AG
The jelly was pretty good. Wondering how it would be with flakes of habanero in it. A co-worker has some growing in his garden. I may swap him some hot jelly for some peppers.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.