Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Chili recipe for cook off

4,626 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Tx-Ag2010
Blanco Jimenez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're having a small cook off at work and I was wondering if anyone had a good chili recipe that they wouldn't mind sharing. I know I could look on the Google but you guys seem to have more knowledge and expertise that I might find there.
The Pilot
AG
You don't even have to google, there is a chili thread on the front page.
Blanco Jimenez
AG
Just saw that.
Joe Exotic
AG
If you want to impress people at an office chili cook off never bring real chili. The reality is the winner will probably be some white chicken chili bull**** that is closer to chicken and dumplings than actual chili.

Last year someone brought vegetarian chili and it got second place. Something that literally can't exist got rave reviews.
Blanco Jimenez
AG
True. A 7 bean soup won here last year.
sanitariex
AG
That's 7 beans too many
NATE AG03
AG
There are some good ones on the chili thread.

I've had some success with this one:

2 pounds coarsely ground chuck (chili grind)
1 eight-ounce can tomato sauce (such as Contadina)
1 sixteen-ounce can beef broth (such as Swanson's)
13 fresh jalapeos, scored vertically (optional)
3 tablespoons dark chili powder, divided (such as Mild Bill's, sold online, or McCormick)
3 tablespoons mild or regular chili powder, divided (such as San Antonio Original, sold online, or Gebhardt)
2 tablespoons granulated onion
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 beef bouillon cube
1 chicken bouillon cube
2 teaspoons granulated garlic
1 tablespoon cumin
2 teaspoons paprika (such as Pacific Beauty)
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 package cilantro-tomato Sazn Goya seasoning

In a chili pot over medium heat, sear meat till gray, taking care not to brown it (browning changes texture). Remove grease using a turkey baster or by draining meat in a colander in the sink. Add tomato sauce, beef broth, and about half a cup of water. Tie the jalapeos in cheesecloth and add to pot. Cover and cook for 30 minutes, adding water as needed, then remove jalapeos.

Add 1 1/2 tablespoons dark chili powder, 1 1/2 tablespoons mild chili powder, granulated onion, cayenne, beef bouillon, and chicken bouillon. Stir, cover, and simmer for 1 hour, adding water if mixture gets too thick. Add remaining chili powders, granulated garlic, cumin, paprika, pepper, Sazn Goya, and more water if necessary. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Serves 8.

It's from this Texas Monthly article. I think it's won a Terlingua cook off at some point.
Tanya 93
always so cute when people know for sure that beans etc were never used on the trail in chili.
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
Why make chili without using real peppers? Using the powder stuff, compared to toasting, boiling and making your own puree is crazy.
Joe Exotic
AG
Tanya 93 said:

always so cute when people know for sure that beans etc were never used on the trail in chili.

They more than likely weren't. The Doss Heritage Center in Weatherford, Texas has an extensive chuck wagon exhibit and some fine historians regarding western and trail culture of the time. They will tell you that beans weren't all that popular as a trail food as it took too much time to set the fire, soak, cook, and then clean up. Trail foods were usually quick meals and often derived from scavenged foods at times. What we eat as chili now is close to what they eat. Heavily spiced and salted meat that can be quickly cooked. Bean use came mostly into play during the depression to make it go further. The idea of a bunch of cowboys sitting around a campfire eating beans under the stars is largely folklore and stuff of movies.
Joe Exotic
AG
Buceesnuggets said:

Why make chili without using real peppers? Using the powder stuff, compared to toasting, boiling and making your own puree is crazy.

Again, dried peppers and spices were the norm for mobile cooking in the days chili was developed from cowboys and mestizo people.
Martin Cash
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Tanya 93 said:

They more than likely weren't. The Doss Heritage Center in Weatherford, Texas has an extensive chuck wagon exhibit and some fine historians regarding western and trail culture of the time. They will tell you that beans weren't all that popular as a trail food as it took too much time to set the fire, soak, cook, and then clean up. Trail foods were usually quick meals and often derived from scavenged foods at times. What we eat as chili now is close to what they eat. Heavily spiced and salted meat that can be quickly cooked. Bean use came mostly into play during the depression to make it go further. The idea of a bunch of cowboys sitting around a campfire eating beans under the stars is largely folklore and stuff of movies.
Calling BS on this. I've seen 'Blazing Saddles.'
Sooner Born
More beans, Mr. Taggert?
Belton Ag
AG
I'd say you've had enough.
Ag_07
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

The idea of a bunch of cowboys sitting around a campfire eating beans under the stars is largely folklore and stuff of movies.

First thing that came to mind

Tree Hugger
AG
We are having a chili cookoff next week as well. I've made some damn good chili in years past that has never placed well.

This year I plan on making a three ingredient chili:

1 - really fine ground beef
2 - bottle of ketchup
3 - can of pork and beans

I'll probably win the thing with this recipe.
FIDO*98*
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Even cuter when the 'beans on the chuck wagon' know it all chimes in forgetting that Texas Chili is a product of the Chili Queens of San Antonio and not some Cookie on a cattle drive
FIDO*98*
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

If you want to impress people at an office chili cook off never bring real chili. The reality is the winner will probably be some white chicken chili bull**** that is closer to chicken and dumplings than actual chili.

So much truth in this. I wouldn't bother putting any effort into an office or church type Chili cook off. Just make some version of taco soup with beans and you'll probably win.
Joe Exotic
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Tanya 93 said:

Even cuter when the 'beans on the chuck wagon' know it all chimes in forgetting that Texas Chili is a product of the Chili Queens of San Antonio and not some Cookie on a cattle drive

Especially true considering that many cattle drives often didn't have a chuck wagon.
tamc91
AG
Our office has 3 categories: traditional, with beans, and other. They also award hottest. Traditional Texas, no bean chili typically win. However, there does seem to be a growing number of vegetarian options. One of our Indian engineers does bring a very hot vegetarian dish that may not be traditional Texas "chili", but it has a mean mix of peppers and curry.
Icecream_Ag
S
tamc91 said:

Our office has 3 categories: traditional, with beans, and other. They also award hottest. Traditional Texas, no bean chili typically win. However, there does seem to be a growing number of vegetarian options. One of our Indian engineers does bring a very hot vegetarian dish that may not be traditional Texas "chili", but it has a mean mix of peppers and curry.
tell him I need a bowl. My sinuses are fubar right now
Bruce Almighty
AG
Making the hottest chili is easy. I can buy a bottle of Blairs hot sauce and make it inedible. What's the point?
TennAg
Yall who try other peoples chili at work are crazy. May as well call it a germ-off amirite?
Garrelli 5000
AG
Toss 4 or 5 chipotle chili's in adobo in your chili the last 15 minutes, remove before serving.

Adds the perfect amount of heat (not heat seeker heat but its warm), plus a great flavor.
schmendeler
AG
TennAg said:

Yall who try other peoples chili at work are crazy. May as well call it a germ-off amirite?
do germs often do well in boiling pots of liquid?
big-ag
AG
After not winning the office chili cookoff with my homemade chili in 2013 and 2014, I decided to make a mockery of the event in 2015.

My ingredient list:
1 Can Hormel Chunky with Beans
1 Can Wolf Brand
1 Can Nalley Big Chunk
2 Cans Pinto Beans
1 Can Crushed Tomatos
2 Cans Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles
1 Cup Diced Jalapenos
1 Tbsp Cayenne

Total cost - $12.50

It was the most disgusting thing I have ever put together. But the $50 Amazon gift card for winning first overall made up for it.
Sooner Born
That probably means your homemade chili was out of balance, under-seasoned and not all that good.
big-ag
AG
I think it had too much flavor. The winner the previous year tasted like oatmeal with chili powder.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
I came in second (out of ~30 entries) at a work cook off a couple years ago. I'd have to look up the recipe but it is basically no beans lots of meat and habenero peppers.

I only came in second because the winners literally bought the vote. (Votes cost $1 each and they had 7 people who bought 40-50 tickets each. I cant remember the exact number but I lost by less than 20 votes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.