Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Good high-end and low-end meals in Memphis

1,772 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Reload8098
mrsbeer05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Taking a road trip to Memphis in November and need recommendations for a "fancy" meal and regular hole-in-the-wall meals while we're there.

For the nice meal steaks, French, Italian, etc. just something you can't get in Houston or just super amazing. Not too worried about price range, but a total bill of less than $500 (including wine, for two people) would be nice.

For the hole-in-the-wall: good ribs, fried green tomatoes, hamburgers, etc. Don't care about atmosphere just want it to be good solid food.
BQ92
AG
I like Interstate BBQ for a pulled pork sandwich
Wicked Good Ag
Flight
Bulldog73
AG
We really liked Central BBQ, good ribs and they had a ton of sauces to try. Their banana pudding was truly incredible.

We also ate at Gus' Fried Chicken and to date, it's the best fried chicken we've had. We've eaten at a couple of their other locations and while great, they aren't as good as the original.

We ate at a gastropub called "South of Beal" that was solid in everything we had. It wasn't completely earth shattering, but it was good. I think my wife probably had the duck patty melt and I think I had the SOB Burger though the smoke gouda mac & cheese was hard to pass up.
NColoradoAG
Have not been myself, but have heard good things from friends and family about Iris.
Duncan Idaho
I'd agree with gus's
cottonpatchag
AG
Itta Bena above B.B. Kings. Great view of Beale and good food. Need reservations
JYDog90
AG
Put me down for Gus's also.
Formerly Willy Wonka
T-HARGUS
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

Flight

Agree. Wife and I really enjoyed it when we went last year.
87IE
AG
I like The Butcher Shop for a nice dinner.

I go against the grain and prefer Uncle Lou's over Gus's
B-1 83
AG
I've never had a meal I'd pay $500 for 2.
inch05
AG
Gus'!
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
Alcenia's (317 N Main; 901-523-0200). Owner B.J. Chester Tamayo throws around "baby" and loves to hug a neck and it's all charming. But she can cook, too, and folks swear by her fried chicken and her various methods of sweet potato preparation, including her sweet potato cobbler. It's her deft touch with desserts that really makes her cooking more soul food than simply "country cooking," as she's not one for pig parts (she'll cook neckbones, but says white people won't buy them, so it's usually for events). She offers a Saturday soul brunch that features a somewhat peculiar combination of choices, such as salmon croquettes, fried green tomatoes, eggs and chicken and waffles (along with a beverage, including the sweet Kool-Aid she calls Ghetto Aid). Don't miss: the cabbage. Even people who don't like cabbage love it.

Been there one time- it was great
K2T2
Bulldog73 said:

We really liked Central BBQ, good ribs and they had a ton of sauces to try. Their banana pudding was truly incredible.
Yes! I just went to Central BBQ this weekend while on tour, and I went into a food zone while eating. I got their BBQ portobello sandwich with slaw, which was amazing and HUGE. They have like 5 different sauces, awesome pickles, HOMEMADE POTATO CHIPS, and other typical BBQ sides. I got a sandwich, homemade chips, and a fancy beer, tipped ~30% and left a twenty. Meat eaters will spend more.

Also their sauces are served warm. TRIPLE BONUS!
Reload8098
AG
Lived in Memphis from '97 until this past August. For fine dining Earling Jensen's for fine French cuisine. For something more true to the area Southern Social in Germantown is definitely worth the visit. Gus' Fried Chicken has a lot of solid reviews. I've found they don't change their oil often enough or they aren't filtering it properly and you pick up that slightly burned oil flavor - not for me. As far as BBQ I'd choose Central on Central Avenue or One and Only. I think One and Only is the best in Memphis.
All of these places are on the East side of Memphis.
If you're staying downtown I'd use Yelp. The restaurants in The Peabody are very good and the lobby bar is a must do. Don't go to Rendezvous for BBQ. Place has gone to hell.
Southern Social is outstanding as is Earling Jensen's Southern Social has amazing gumbo, shrimp and grits, fried chicken or you can get an excellent filet. If you want to experience the Memphis blue blood social scene go to Southern Social.
Earling Jensen's is a hit to the wallet but less than $500.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.