Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Dumb question alert

924 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Farmer1906
FtBendTxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Y'all, I had a pet emergency come up as I was minutes away from putting 2 beautiful pieces of aged ribeye onto the cast iron. Already slathered in a coat of oil and liberal salt and pepper. Will these save in the fridge for a day? Only reason I ask is the olive oil. Will it do anything weird to the meat? I've always oiled and seasoned just an hour before cooking. I don't want them to turn mushy or whatever.
HTownAg98
Nope, you're fine. Oil really doesn't penetrate into meat at all (the fat molecules are too big.). You can wrap them in plastic wrap and leave them overnight with no problem. In fact, the extra day of seasoning from the salt will be a good thing.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Thanks! That's what I was hoping to hear.

Forgot I marinated some hangar steaks in an olive oil based chimichuri not long ago and they turned out fantastic. Same concept I guess.

Appreciate the response.
Farmer1906
AG
I was actually told by a chef that he puts olive oil on his meat when he buys it and lets it sit for a day or more before he cooks it.

I would think the salting it too early might dry it out slightly.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.