Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Kitchen Reno - layout and appliance ideas

1,822 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Matsui
'03ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
About to buy a house and completely redo the kitchen. The wife has all the design authority, but since I do all the cooking I have quite a bit of leeway on appliances and layout. I've never had a decent kitchen and I want to do it right the first time. Trying to figure out if there brands/features I'm not considering, or overrating. I can't go Viking level good, but I don't want spec house quality either.

Right now I've got my eye on this samsung range - I like the idea of the available griddle, even though I have a similar one I can use. I've also used a long burner before with my griddle. I wasn't impressed but it could've been a mediocre range. Saw this one by GE today. Similar features and cast iron supplied by lodge. With any of these supplied cast iron griddles I'd sand them down smooth and re-season. But you get an idea what price range and features I'm looking for.

Is there a point where more Btus aren't useful unless you step up to a real pro range? Another thing I like about these is the "power burner" has the double ring. I've used one of those power burner things before, and the flame was too wide to be useful for anything except boiling water. Again, maybe it was just a mediocre range and I'm overrating the double ring.

I've always wanted a really good vent hood. I want to be able to blacken chicken, fish, make griddle burgers in the house etc, without smoking up the joint. I read somewhere that the hood should be wider than the range, and at least 600 cfm if I want to be able to mount it well above the cooking surface. Something like this one would meet that criteria, but I don't know the brand, or if the website I read that on was full of crap.

Pot filler - yay or nay?

Insta Hot water heater under the sink - yay or nay? I like to make pour over and french press coffee.

Ovens - double oven or no? I've used convection before and I like it. Any other new features that are must haves?

The kitchen currently has an island, but in my opinion the space isn't wide enough for a good island. Wider than a standard galley, but not wide enough for a big open kitchen with island. It's basically going to be a really wide galley with extra deep counters I think.

On one wall I should be able to fit it like this:

fridge -- 30-36" counter -- 36" range -- 30-36" counter -- double ovens. That will be pretty much all my cooking space. That seem like enough? There will be room on the other side for some prepping. but that's the side where I'll be rangling pots and pans, mise en place etc.

The other side will be about 12 feet long, but mostly counter and sink with some built in pantry. If the wife wants to pull out the stand mixer and do some baking, I'm thinking it will be over there. Should only have a coffee maker as a permanent counter top appliance.

Duck Blind
AG
My $.02. All this depends on how much you cook.... I love to so I designed my kitchen too....

Built our home 2 Year's ago. I love my double ovens. Particularly nice during the holidays. Easier to build-in 2 now as opposed to only 1 and then realizing you need 2 later.... Have a warming drawer I use often. Also use it to keep plates warm prior to serving.... Have a 6 top gas stove with griddle in middle...Love it. Can't advise you on BTUs...sorry. I picked one with the max I could get. Does it make a difference? MAYBE water boils faster now? Not really sure... Just love having 6 burners plus my griddle for pancakes..... Have a pot filler. Not hot water just regular filler. Use it often as opposed to carrying pot from sink... I also bought a hood that'll suck your hair off your head for the same reasons you listed.. Have a deep farm sink....

Good luck and have fun.
AlaskanAg99
AG
We went with double oven where the top had convection. If you're going to do it, do it. I'd get a pot filler because why not if it's possible.
aTm '99
'03ag
JACK DUKE said:

Not really sure... Just love having 6 burners plus my griddle for pancakes..... Have a pot filler. Not hot water just regular filler. Use it often as opposed to carrying pot from sink... I also bought a hood that'll suck your hair off your head for the same reasons you listed.. Have a deep farm sink....

Good luck and have fun.
Do you know the cfms and who made it?

I'm thinking the same thing for the pot filler, but then if I get the insta-hot built into the sink, I wonder if I'll use that more so I can start cooking with near boiling water.
Duck Blind
AG
It's a Viking. I can check the model when I get home.
biobioprof
We had Stearns do some work in our kitchen and they put in this hood from Zephyr.

http://zephyronline.com/products/essentials_power/tempest_i_pro_style

We had been looking online at some more well-known brands, but IIRC, there was no local vendor for Kobe or Vent-a-hood. We like it. It's powerful and pretty quiet for the amount of air it moves, at least compared to the fairly generic model we had for years.
hbc07
AG
Double ovens for sure. Once you've used both of them for a meal you'll wonder how you ever survived without. We've got this one and love it, though i'm sure there s a new model out by now:

https://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/-[KODE500ESS]-407580/KODE500ESS/
gigemags87
AG
Lessons learned over 20 years in a kitchen we custom designed from scratch:

1. Double ovens are great
2. Double dishwashers (one under counter and one in island) awesome. Keep dishes and clutter to a bare minimum.
3. Double sinks/disposals helpful but not critical. The island was plummed for dishwasher #2 so not a big deal. Island sink is great for parties filled with ice and wine/beer bottles etc.
4. Use some cabinet space for cookbook shelves
5. Warning drawer(s) added later under double oven is nice
6. We installed a large Vent-a-hood which at the time I worried was overkill but it's awesome at sucking out any smoke, etc. The exterior exhaust fan is huge - we just painted it the color of exterior trim and it's not noticeable anymore.
7. Pullout drawer for trash and recycling is good.
8. Design vertical slots in cabinet above ovens for sheet pans and cookie sheets
9. Deep pullout drawers under stove for pots and pans

aggielostinETX
AG
gigemags87 said:

Lessons learned over 20 years in a kitchen we custom designed from scratch:

1. Double ovens are great - Needed for big meals
2. Double dishwashers (one under counter and one in island) awesome. Keep dishes and clutter to a bare minimum. - a must if you entertain
3. Double sinks/disposals helpful but not critical. The island was plummed for dishwasher #2 so not a big deal. Island sink is great for parties filled with ice and wine/beer bottles etc. We have a small sink with out a disposal in the bar. Its although its wired for one.
4. Use some cabinet space for cookbook shelves
5. Warning drawer(s) added later under double oven is nice. Range has one.
6. We installed a large Vent-a-hood which at the time I worried was overkill but it's awesome at sucking out any smoke, etc. The exterior exhaust fan is huge - we just painted it the color of exterior trim and it's not noticeable anymore. Oversize the vent if you plan on real cooking vs making meals
7. Pullout drawer for trash and recycling is good. We like ours and keeps the kitchen neat.
8. Design vertical slots in cabinet above ovens for sheet pans and cookie sheets - we need to add these and will when change around our mirco fridge layout
9. Deep pullout drawers under stove for pots and pans. Our range included these

We designed our kitchen around the range.

We did stainless countertops next to the range. Made sense vs. small granite pieces.
We did full-size fridge and full-size freezer.
We put the microwave in the laundry room.

This is from my wife's company's page.

https://instagr.am/p/BaRyCKFlRJh

You may recognize the sign in the back.
Matsui
AG
Parents have the instahot and it's excellent. Recommended.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.