Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Need a pork butt recipe asap please!

1,690 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by RG20
RG20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FYI doing this on large pit putting meat to one side flame/wood on the other
bigboykin
AG
Pork butts are pretty tough to mess up too terribly bad, but I pretty much trim most of the external fat, rinse with cool water, dry thoroughly with paper towels, coat with plain old yellow mustard, and rub liberally with your choice of rub (if homemade mine's usually about 1:1:1 brown sugar:kosher salt:spices/seasonings [any combo of black pepper, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, chili powder, cumin, whatever you like; in a ratio you like]). Smoke indirect at 225-275 to internal 200-203. Don't worry about wrapping during the cook, but wrap in foil afterward then in a towel or two and rest in a cooler for at least 30 min, but it will hold food safe temp for hours if you need it to. Pull as close to/during service as you can with forks or gloved hands.
aggiebq03+
BBQ with Franklin on YouTube:
HTownAg98
Follow the two posts above and you are golden.
The only thing I will add is that you ne d to let them cool to about 165 before you pull them. If they are steaming when you pull them, that is moisture in the meat that is rapidly evaporating, and will result in dry edges. Let them cool, and you will end up with juicy meat. I pull most of my butts at 200, and they can sit on the counter untented and still be above 165 an hour later. If you can get away without wrapping them do it, as you will end up with crisper bark. If you have to wrap them, they will still be very good, but the bark will soften.
MichaelJ
AG
Arkansas game was last week
RG20
Thanks guys. Plan on doing this soon. Will probably take me a few times to get it right because I don't have a way to monitor true consistent temp; that will be the challenge.
superunknown
AG
If you can wiggle that shoulder blade pretty easily or even pull it out completely and easily, its done.
jh0400
AG
RG20 said:

Thanks guys. Plan on doing this soon. Will probably take me a few times to get it right because I don't have a way to monitor true consistent temp; that will be the challenge.

Buy a grate level digital thermometer.
agcrock2005
AG
Google Chris Lilly's 6 time world championship recipe. Really good.
RG20
Thanks!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.