Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Share your biscuit reciepes

3,812 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CyAg
Btron
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here's one we use. Anyone have a good corn meal one?
2 cups self-rising flour, plus extra for dusting counter
cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, plus an additional 2 tablespoons melted butter
cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons melted shortening

Lodge Cast Iron
BREAKFAST
BRIGGS' BUTTERMILK BISCUITS
LODGE CAST IRON / NOVEMBER 15, 2016
RECIPES/BREAKFAST

We love how the tops and bottoms of these biscuits are slightly crispy and the inside stays tender and flaky.

We often receive photos on social media from Lodge users showing us what they've made in their cast iron cookware. When William Briggs posted a photo of buttermilk biscuits in his Lodge skillet to our Facebook page, we knew we wanted to try them. He generously sent us his recipe, and we baked it the same week. The Lodge staff agrees, William's buttermilk biscuit recipe is definitely worth adding to your skillet baking repertoire.

Flaky buttermilk biscuits baked in a cast iron skillet.
PREP TIME
15 minutes
COOK TIME
12-18 minutes
SERVINGS
6-8
PRINT RECIPE
INGREDIENTS
2 cups self-rising flour, plus extra for dusting counter
cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, plus an additional 2 tablespoons melted butter
cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons melted shortening

-Preheat oven to 450F. Place a 10.25-inch cast iron skillet into the oven to preheat.
-Measure the self-rising flour into a large mixing bowl.
Using the coarse side of a hand grater, quickly grate 1 stick ( cup) cold hard butter into the self-rising flour. Working quickly, use fingers to gently distribute the shredded butter into the self-rising flour.
-Add the buttermilk, then stir until just combined.
Turn onto a lightly floured surface and, using floured fingers, quickly pat to approximately the size of an 8.5x11" sheet of paper, which will be about " to " thick. Very lightly dust the surface of the dough with flour from your fingertips, then fold the sheet of dough into thirds, as when folding a business letter. ---Repeat the patting, dusting, and folding steps seven times, or fewer if you feel the dough begin to tightenoverworked dough makes for a tough biscuit! The final time, pat the dough to a rectangle slightly larger than the size of your skillet. Using a round biscuit cutter or a drinking glass, cut into about 7 round biscuits. Gather up the scraps to form the 8th biscuit by hand.
-With a handle mitt, carefully remove the preheated skillet from the oven. Drop melted shortening into the preheated skillet, then return to oven for a couple of minutes, until it is melted. Place each biscuit into the skillet and, using a fork, immediately turn to coat both sides with shortening.
-Place the hot skillet into the oven, and reduce the oven temperature to 425F. Bake until tops of biscuits are golden brown, about 12-18 minutes.
Remove from oven. Brush tops with additional melted butter. Serve while hot!

Kitchen Note: This recipe is easily doubled to be cooked in a 12-inch skillet, and yields around 12 biscuits.

Forum Troll
AG

1. Open can
2. Put in oven at 375F
3. Cook till golden brown.

Honestly these are pretty good although I usually like the bigger ones.
EFE
AG
I have a good one for jumbo biscuits, pretty basic ingredient list, biggest thing I've learned about biscuits is to not over work them. Once I get the dough ball mixed and formed I make sure not the knead and fold it over itself more than 8-10 times. At work so therecipe will have to wait, but here's a pic of them.

Imgur is so stupid now
Max Power
AG
At work so no recipe but a lot of what you find on the internet is fine. But a few guidelines will assure better results.

1 - Already stated, but don't overwork the dough.
2 - Always use buttermilk, using vinegar and milk together doesn't not produce the same results, you need buttermilk. I tried it before when I forgot it at the store, not the same.
3 - The night before you plan on making the biscuits take your butter and cut it into small pieces and place them in the freezer, let freeze overnight. When you start making your dough add the frozen butter and the dry ingredients to a food processor and pulse till the butter is incorporated, so much better than doing by hand or with a pastry blender.
FIDO*98*
AG
I've found all buttermilk isn't created equal. It's worth spending a little extra for Borden Brand.
schmendeler
AG
I've never made them but the "rich as ****" biscuits from chef steps look awesome.

https://d3awvtnmmsvyot.cloudfront.net/api/file/P9wn35BWRbWFdqcmc7zw/convert?fit=max&w=1450&quality=60&cache=true&rotate=exif&compress=true
CyAg
AG
They do look awesome!
rilloaggie
AG
https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/2465320

They are delicious!!
NColoradoAG
Main points covered so far. I like to use an even mix of butter and shortening. Feel the butter brings flavor and shortening brings texture.

investorAg83
AG
schmendeler said:

I've never made them but the "rich as ****" biscuits from chef steps look awesome.

https://d3awvtnmmsvyot.cloudfront.net/api/file/P9wn35BWRbWFdqcmc7zw/convert?fit=max&w=1450&quality=60&cache=true&rotate=exif&compress=true
I can also attest. They are ridiculous.
rlb28
AG
Not being a smarta** but the Red Lobster biscuits you can buy in the grocery store are pretty good.
agfay8
wadd96
AG
  • 2 cups flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cracked black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
  • 2 tablespoons cold lard, cubed
  • 1 cup buttermilk, chilled

Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using your fingertips, rub butter and lard into dry ingredients until mixture looks like crumbs. (The faster the better, you don't want the fats to melt.) Make a well in the center and pour in the chilled buttermilk. Stir just until the dough comes together. The dough will be very sticky.

Turn dough onto floured surface, dust top with flour and gently fold dough over on itself 5 or 6 times. Press into a 1-inch thick round. Cut out biscuits with a 2-inch cutter, being sure to push straight down through the dough. Place biscuits in cast iron pan so that they just touch. Reform scrap dough, working it as little as possible and continue cutting. (Biscuits from the second pass will not be quite as light as those from the first, but hey, that's life.)

Bake until biscuits are tall and light gold on top, 15 to 20 minutes.

**Note, I like to add some shredded cheddar cheese every now and then...

All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Max06
AG
I use this one

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/baking-powder-biscuits-recipe
chilidogfood
AG
Forum Troll said:

1. Open can
2. Put in oven at 375F
3. Cook till golden brown.

Honestly these are pretty good although I usually like the bigger ones.
I seriously just want to follow these directions to the 't'.

How big do you think the single mammoth biscuit would get?
Max Power
AG
Another thing to try out, rather than cutting rounds I recently switched to just cutting into squares after rolling out the dough onto the pan, no wasted dough. Bake the whole thing together then just tear off the pre-cut biscuits.
BlueSmoke
Biscuits at Babes are the ****.

Warm butter and honey. Damn...
Nobody cares. Work Harder
CyAg
AG
Quote:

I've found all buttermilk isn't created equal. It's worth spending a little extra for Borden Brand.

I decided to make some waffles and Irish coffee last Thursday morning to continue my World Series celebration. Went to HEB for buttermilk and remembered the post FIDO*98* made. I haven't bought that brand in years (mainly because I just never need a half gallon) but I decided what the heck, I'll make a double batch and freeze the extras (still didn't need that much).

Pouring it into a measuring cup I was shocked how thick it was, very tangy and it even smells richer than anything I've bought recently. Easily the best waffles I've ever made.

Sorry my comment isn't biscuit related but just wanted to pass along my thoughts and experience with the product.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.