Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Napa Visit

2,114 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cr
turfman80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ive checked out the previous threads offering suggestions, so I'll keep this short and sweet. Looking for a list of Napa valley wineries offering good wines , semi-reasonable tasting fees ($25?) and at least a few reds to bring home in the $50 - $75 range. Thanks!
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
jh0400
AG
If you're looking for a change of pace in Napa, check out Benessere. They do mostly Italian grapes, and they don't distribute.

Mumm has a nice tasting room, and the sparkling wines are a nice break from big Cabs.
cypress-ag
AG
v Sattui in St Helena is a fun little spot that has a great deli with cheeses bread and meats etc that you can pick up. Great picnic area to chill under.
HTownAg98
Neal up on Howell Mountain will fit your price range.
Biale is good if you want something different than Cabernet.
BSD
AG
Keep in mind I haven't been on a true tasting trip in several years so I'm not sure about prices. But the wines are still good, I'd think. A day on Spring mountain is always nice. Do the tour/tasting at Pride. Behrens family winery is good but I don't know the prices there. Same for Barnett. Keenan makes a nice cab franc, which not a lot of people do around there. As far as picnic lunches, I think grabbing something from dean and deluca or Oakville Grocery and taking it with you is a good alternative to V Sattui. I personally feel it's better food and you can get away from the crowd.

On the valley floor, Heitz is a classic spot and may be one of the last free tastings (again, it's been a few years so not sure if they still do that). Alpha Omega is an old favorite of mine. Across the street is Provenance which we use to stop at.

Before you go to dinner in Yountville, which I am requiring you to do, you can stop at Girard, which is open a little later than most.
HTownAg98
I second everything you have said. One thing you need to check is which wineries allow you to bring a picnic lunch. Some allow it, but some don't. It's some Napa County regulation. In fact, when we visited Viadare they weren't supposed to allow it, but they did because we were the only ones there. So don't just assume you can bring your own food and eat it wherever you want.
aTm2004
AG
If you have your hotel or B&B's concierge book the tasting (assuming you're staying in Napa), some will wave the tasting fee.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
cr
Visit Caymus Winery. Beautiful and the best $35 Chard you will ever enjoy, Mer Soleil.
rononeill
Research Carneros. It's very close to Napa proper, just below Sonoma. It's more pinots and whites, but the price point is strong, the wine is great, and the views are really unique. Check out Liana and Bouchaine.
Mort Rainey
CADE and Brown are solid!
cheeky
AG
Heitz still is free as of July when my in-laws wrangled me in there for a side stop. I did work the counter man into pouring some Martha's Vineyard 2008 along with their other labels. In fact, I bought some port and took it with me.

One day we pre-ordered lunches from Oakville Grocery for a picnic tasting on Howell Mountain and it was terrific. They say to order it a few days in advance (about $25 per boxed lunch).

Chateau Montelena and Sterling do nice tastings at reasonable prices if you make it all the way up to Calistoga. Don't really know much about paid tastings, and the private tasting wines are going to be north of $50 per bottle so I don't have much more to offer.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Check out Reverie. It's tiny but fantastic.
Fall92
AG
Bouchon is fantastic. So good we ate there two nights in a row. Also, one of our favorite days was grabbing sandwiches at Dean and Deluca and eating outside next door at Hall. If you're looking for a great but affordable tour with a lot of pours, try Krug.
cr
Sorry OP, I quickly scanned your post.

I don't recall what the tasting prices were honestly, it's been too long.

I now see you prefer red. I didn't find any outstanding reds during my tastings, the one wine I fell in love with was the Mer Soleil Chard from Caymus. I bought several bottles back with me.

We did a tour at Berringer, which I would highly recommend. I don't care for their wines, but the tour was pretty cool.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.