Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Poblano peppers

2,386 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ogre09
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I got a **** load of these in my garden. Aside from chile rellenos, what should I do with them?
rhoswen
AG
Roast them and make poblano cream sauce like at La Bodega. Great on chicken.
bushytailed
AG
Stuff them like you would a bell pepper. My favorite stuffing is similar to what I would put in chicken enchiladas (cream cheese, sour cream, green chile, chicken).
HTownAg98
Roast, peel, and seed them. Freeze what you can't use right away. They are great as a taco filling. Poblano and corn soup is one of my favorite fall soups.
Tanya 93
Slice into rings or strips and pickle them.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Pork or chicken chili verde
Proc92
Roasted poblano, chicken, cabbage, potato soup.
Martin Cash
AG
Almost anything you would use a bell pepper for, only a little spicier. Salads, omelets, etc.
Max Power
AG
It's not cold enough yet but when I make potato soup I use poblanos, an awesome addition. Grill, roast, or broil them till the skins are black and then allow them to steam in a bag or bowl. Once that's done you can rub off the skins and remove the seeds. You can add them to salsa but they aren't spicy, just great flavor.
thisguy05
AG
Better fajita pepper than green bell.
RGV AG
AG
Roast and peel them, then slice into strips (rajas). Pre cook some regular boiled white rice, mix rajas with rice and some Mexican cream, just enough to be slightly clumpy. Put into a oven baking dish, like pyrex, shred some Cotija cheese on top and put in oven for about 20-25 minutes until cheese starts turning brown. Makes a great side dish for many entrees.
notheranymore
Chiles en Nogada
jcbaggie04
AG
Less culinary than the other suggestions, but you can saut them and add to a good burger. I like it with poblano pepper jack cheese and a fried egg over a solid angus patty.
HTownAg98
Roasted poblano, quesadilla cheese or another Mexican melting cheese, and fried chorizo is the basis for my queso fundido burger.
Bruce Almighty
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Roasted poblano, quesadilla cheese or another Mexican melting cheese, and fried chorizo is the basis for my queso fundido burger.

Not salt and pepper only. Not a real burger.
HTownAg98
Bruce Almighty said:

HTownAg98 said:

Not salt and pepper only. Not a real burger.

Snort my taint.
I Play With Guns
S
Post your potato soup recipes
BillYeoman
Roast them on the grill along with ears of corn.

Put them in bag and let them sweat. Peal and take out seeds. Soak in saltwater for about 10 minutes. Pat dry.

Saut chopped white onion in pan till translusxent. Shave grilled corn off into pan.

Add poblonos. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.

Add sour cream. Cook down.

Add grated Monterrey jack cheese at the very end.

My version of rajas

Great side for steak, carne Assad, fajitas, etc.

Max Power
AG
Here's what I do for potato soup. Replace one of the jalapenos with a poblano and double up the buttermilk. The recipe works with russet or yukon gold.

http://www.homesicktexan.com/2012/01/potato-soup-buttermilk-jalapeno-bacon.html
RGV AG
AG
BillYeoman said:

Roast them on the grill along with ears of corn.

Put them in bag and let them sweat. Peal and take out seeds. Soak in saltwater for about 10 minutes. Pat dry.

Saut chopped white onion in pan till translusxent. Shave grilled corn off into pan.

Add poblonos. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.

Add sour cream. Cook down.

Add grated Monterrey jack cheese at the very end.

My version of rajas

Great side for steak, carne Assad, fajitas, etc.

That is a darn good recipe. I also like making the above, but cutting up small squares of queso fresco and serving either hot or cold. As an addition, I would go half and half on sour cream and crema fresca, but that is personal preference and I would prefer white cheese. But the above sounds great.

Also, doing any rajas requires the peeling of the outside membrane skin or whatever it is, and going into a ziplock bag while hot and sweating makes things much easier, as the king of the veer points out.
BMX Bandit
what does the saltwater soak do for them?
fta09
AG
I have used them when making green chile stew before, but I do add some serranos to kick up the heat. They would be good for chile rellenos too.
Ogre09
AG
Do you need to peel them if you're going to pickle them?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.