Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Article & Michigan State University Poll about American's thoughts on food topics....

1,198 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aznaggiegirl07
tsuag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://theconversation.com/americans-are-confused-about-food-and-unsure-where-to-turn-for-answers-survey-shows-82124
"When it comes to food, many Americans do not trust experts. Just 59% of respondents in our survey said that they trusted information from academic scientists on nutrition and food safety. Less than half (49%) trusted government scientists, and only one-third (33%) trusted industry scientists."
Here is the link to the original write-up about the poll: http://food.msu.edu/articles/msu-food-literacy-and-engagement-poll

Thoughts...

schmendeler
AG
makes sense given the number of shared and liked facebook posts I see from people regarding topics like "such and such ingredient is regulated heavily in Europe but allowed here" or "such and such has been linked to cancer or behavioral issues in kids, or blah blah"
AggieChemist
AG
Hunting is on an upswing amongst hipster/millennial/urbanites because of the organic/locavore/etc movements.
Tanya 93
schmendeler said:

makes sense given the number of shared and liked facebook posts I see from people regarding topics like "such and such ingredient is regulated heavily in Europe but allowed here" or "such and such has been linked to cancer or behavioral issues in kids, or blah blah"

The Food Babe is always deleting my comments on her Facebook.
HTownAg98
I'm surprised she hasn't blocked you or tried to sue you.
Tanya 93
HTownAg98 said:

I haven't done it in several months. Maybe I am blocked.

She was going off on something dealing with gluten and I kept setting her straight.

She allows no facts to stop her crusades.
tsuag10
AG
Tanya 93 said:

This.

At the risk of going off on a tangent, this is the problem with the whole "fake news" epidemic.

There once was a time when we could trust the information from our major news outlets, academia, scientists, and even government. Now, people trust information from bloggers who have zero credibility; all because we don't trust the establishment.

It's pretty sad really, because no one really knows who to trust about anything anymore.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
Tanya 93 said:

HTownAg98 said:

She was going off on something dealing with gluten and I kept setting her straight.

Which sucks for people like me, future RD, to try and educate people and sort out misinformation because of people like her...

It should be the other way around...
Tanya 93
aznaggiegirl07 said:

Tanya 93 said:

HTownAg98 said:

Which sucks for people like me, future RD, to try and educate people and sort out misinformation because of people like her...

It should be the other way around...
Gluten issues are the only thing I really criticize people about when they are spreading misinformation.

I get that she has to sponsor items to make money, but she can't suggest recipes that are GF when they aren't.
Then she made some comment on coconut oil being good for people with allergies. Well no. It isn't always good for people with allergies. Some people with nut allergies cannot consume that.

I am a hippie, granola, organic buy local soccer mom. But you can't just say something is good for you and have it be true.

bularry
people are much more ignorant about food than they realize

before she retired, my MIL ran a clinic at a hospital for diabetic patients. pretty much all Type 2 patients. The majority were obviously overweight and sincerely thought eating something like a croissant sandwich with sausage, egg and cheese from Jack in the Box was eating a "light" and healthy breakfast.

when people like doing something (like eating fried foods at fast food places), they generally tend to not believe information that tells them that is literally killing them.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
yeah...apparently people dont like being told that...

You have no idea how many times I would like to be blunt about things...but I would get in trouble...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.