Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Favorite Oktoberfest?

3,143 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Out in Left Field
OldSoully
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What is your favorite? I haven't tried many but I'm planning on trying more this fall. My current favorite is brewed by Pedernales Breweing Company out of Fredericksburg.
ZofranAggie
AG
Schell's. It's a Minnesota brewery. Malty and delicious.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Ballast Point
Sam Adams
Joe Exotic
AG
I'll be in Munich in two weeks and I'll let you know
Inspector Spacetime
AG
tbh, I get a bit of oxidation from a lot of imported bottled Oktoberfest beers. Same thing with Ballast Point's last year due to theirs being the earliest release, I think.

When we did a blind tasting at work last year, Karbach, Saint Arnold, Southern Star, and Sierra Nevada's came out on top, and that included many imported brands and Ballast Point.

In short, give the local brands your love. They're likely to be in better shape than the ones that have had to travel a while.

Exception is Brauerei Ayinger. Never had a bad beer of theirs, including the festbier, and it is pretty readily available at a good beer store (more likely a Spec's or Total Wine)
BurnetAggie99
I'd also add Weihenstephaner Festbier can be found at Spec's. Paulaner Mrzen Octoberfest is also good. Other good German ones are Hacker-Pschorr Original Octoberfest, Ayinger Fest-Mrzen which is already mentioned.
SecoKid
AG
My favorites have been Pedernales and Real Ale.
FtBendTxAg
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

I'd also add Weihenstephaner Festbier can be found at Spec's. Paulaner Mrzen Octoberfest is also good. Other good German ones are Hacker-Pschorr Original Octoberfest, Ayinger Fest-Mrzen which is already mentioned.

This
superunknown
AG
slappy
AG
I dig Hofbrau Oktoberfest too.
schmendeler
AG
st. Arnold has always been my favorite.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
St Arnold isn't too bad
FarmerJohn
AG
Multiple blind tastings over a couple years always had Real Ale come out on top.
bmc13
AG
hacker pschorr
aeroag14
AG
Karbach.

Definitely one of my favorite all time beers. Living out of state makes it tough to get (actually happy they got bought out). But will be in CS in a few weekends. Going to buy like 5 6packs and bring it back with me.
HTownAg98
FarmerJohn said:

Multiple blind tastings over a couple years always had Real Ale come out on top.

I really like Real Ale Oktoberfest, but it seems like I had a hell of a time finding it last year.
Tanya 93
ZofranAggie said:

Schell's. It's a Minnesota brewery. Malty and delicious.

I have toured that Brewery.

I don't drink anymore, but August Schell Bock was the best beer ever to me.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
They are $7.47 at HEB right now.
Texan_Aggie
AG
St Arnolds FTW
wessimo
AG
The Sierra Nevada collab with a German brewery is tasty.
jah003
S
wessimo said:

The Sierra Nevada collab with a German brewery is tasty.
Having one now... I second this.
SwissAgg
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

The best tents are Augustiner, Fischer Vroni,
And Paulaner. It would be closely followed by Hacker Pschorr.

Lowenbrau gives headaches. Spaten is crap beer.

Try to go on any day except Saturday. It is too crowded then.
aeroag14
AG
Inspector Spacetime said:

They are $7.47 at HEB right now.

Will most certainly be taking advantage of that!
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Sorry, I think that sale is over now, but shouldn't be the last one before the end of the season. Depending on your area, the 12pks may be the sale item now.
Joe Exotic
AG
WhoDatAg said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Going on a Monday morning. Going to hit two or three tents and try my luck. After that I'm heading to the Czech Republic
SwissAgg
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

WhoDatAg said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Going on a Monday morning. Going to hit two or three tents and try my luck. After that I'm heading to the Czech Republic
Monday morning should be great for Oktoberfest. There should be no problem getting in.

This year a beer will cost 10.95. Try a big pretzel and a roasted chicken( Wiesnhendl ) to eat.

They are awesome.
turfman80
AG
The Specs in CS (and I would suppose other branches, too) have the 12 pack of Sierra Nevada 2017 Collaboration Oktoberfest for $12.97 cash price.
bmc13
AG
nice
62strat
AG
Just had my local Oktoberfest option; Barnett and Son. Pretty good. Clean, malty, biscuity.. Came in a boot I got to keep. They also tapped their dunkelweizen today.

I'm not quite in the mood though. Still been in 80s the last few weeks. I see some highs in the 70s in the forecast, maybe that will help me change into fall mode.

Also bought ingredients for my vanilla bourbon porter I'm going to brew in a few weeks. That helps me shift gears into cold weather brews.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Oktoberfests used to be my absolute favorite style of beer when I was just starting to drink better beer. They're such a good happy medium beer, enough body and flavor that you could enjoy them with a meal but still light enough you could have one after working in the yard. Great for tailgating.

But over the last few years I've been less and less interested in them. I have really tried to find some new ones this year that I like without a lot of success. I did have Bell's last night and surprise, surprise it was pretty darn good.
agent209
AG
Augustiner was my favorite last year followed by Paulner and then Spaten. Get the pork knuckle for lunch at a tent and then a kabob after the night is over. I could only handle 3 days of eating and drinking but boy was I happy doing it!
Out in Left Field
AG
turfman80 said:

The Specs in CS (and I would suppose other branches, too) have the 12 pack of Sierra Nevada 2017 Collaboration Oktoberfest for $12.97 cash price.

This from the brewery in Asheville was great.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.