Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Bacon in the oven

5,365 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mathguy64
javajaws
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Blasphemy or bliss?
Duncan Idaho
Sous vide or gtfo

ww
AG
Bliss. But it takes too long and you have to warm up the whole oven for minimal output.

It's probably my favorite way to cook bacon...but I barely ever do it that way.
chipotle
Doesn't that make a mess? I get you want to make a lot of bacon but is it really that hard just to cook it on the stovetop?
BlueSmoke
Great bacon is all about timing - specifically, from when you buy your pork belly, cure it, rinse/dry it, smoke it, chill it, and slice it (thick!).

Set up your cooking sheets, foil, and cooling racks and get the bacon going before you start the rest of the cook and it's worth it. Foil keeps the mess to a minimum. Once you go down this path, your days of store-bought bacon are over.

Then there are the bacon burnt ends (Think Heims)

Nobody cares. Work Harder
schmendeler
AG
Oven roasted is delicious. But it's hard to make bacon not delicious.
chipotle
schmendeler said:

Oven roasted is delicious. But it's hard to make bacon not delicious.
That microwave bacon box at the store tries pretty hard though.
Bruce Almighty
AG
chipotle said:

Doesn't that make a mess? I get you want to make a lot of bacon but is it really that hard just to cook it on the stovetop?

Oven cooked bacon is much easier, comes out perfectly cooked and with very little mess. With foiled lined pans, I can cook 20 slices of bacon that come out of the oven at the same time and is exactly like I want it with no flipping and no cleaning. Can you do that on a stove top?
CrawfordAg
AG
I put Kiolbasa's peppered hickory bacon on my egg smoker @ 250-275 for an hour to an hour and a half while I drink my first pot of coffee on the weekends. Best bacon ever...
biobioprof
Duncan Idaho said:

Sous vide or gtfo

Haven't tried it, but not a joke:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/11/overnight-sous-vide-bacon-recipe.html
LCE
AG
Oven only. Only a fool would cook bacon in skillet
rhoswen
AG
unless you're feeding a crowd, a countertop toaster oven works without heating up the whole house.
aggiebq03+
Bacon weave in the oven is the way to go.

Mathguy64
AG
biobioprof said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Sous vide or gtfo

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/11/overnight-sous-vide-bacon-recipe.html
Never done this either but I will drop a pack in tonight. It occurs to me that this has the added advantage that you can drop eggs in the water the last 45 minutes and make 63* eggs at the same time.
normaleagle05
AG
I have about 18lbs of vacuum sealed homemade bacon in the freezer and have been meaning to try this. Tonight seems like as good a time as any.
Duncan Idaho
biobioprof said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Sous vide or gtfo

I never joke about bacon
Mathguy64
AG
Report time.

I was between batches of home cure bacon so I used a package of Hempler thick cut from the fridge. I put it in at 145 dF 10 hours. Took it out, patted it dry and cooked it on a griddle over medium heat. Cooked it the same way I would my thick cut homemade stuff, a couple of minutes a side, flipping a couple of times.

Is it better than normal pan fried? Yes.
Better than oven cooked? Yes and certainly faster to cook.
Better than home cured/smoked cut thick and just cooked in a skillet? No.
Tanya 93
I make it in the oven so I can cook the whole package at one time instead of having to make it several mornings a week because I failed in my parenting and raised a bacon lover.
schmendeler
AG
mathguy86 said:

Report time.

I was between batches of home cure bacon so I used a package of Hempler thick cut from the fridge. I put it in at 145 dF 10 hours. Took it out, patted it dry and cooked it on a griddle over medium heat. Cooked it the same way I would my thick cut homemade stuff, a couple of minutes a side, flipping a couple of times.

But does it make the home made stuff even better? That's the important question you failed to answer.
JAG03
AG
mathguy86 said:

Report time.

You cook bacon in the oven for ten hours?
fta09
AG
No, he stated earlier in the thread he was going to try this out.
BigLeroy
AG
Quote:

Great bacon is all about timing - specifically, from when you buy your pork belly, cure it, rinse/dry it, smoke it, chill it, and slice it (thick!).

Set up your cooking sheets, foil, and cooling racks and get the bacon going before you start the rest of the cook and it's worth it. Foil keeps the mess to a minimum. Once you go down this path, your days of store-bought bacon are over.

I've made lots of homemade bacon as well as Canadian bacon (basically done the same way but out of the loin or tenderloin). Recently I started making buckboard bacon out of the Boston Butt cut. Its wonderful and cheaper than the pork belly. De-bone and cure about longer 2-3 days more and you are good to go. It has plenty of fat, but more meat. I dont think I will ever go back to pork belly.
BlueSmoke
This is why I love this board. Trying. Sounds awesome. If you are into banh mi sammiches, this sounds ideal.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
AggieChemist
AG
rhoswen said:

unless you're feeding a crowd, a countertop toaster oven works without heating up the whole house.
The toaster oven has not been built large enough to cook a serving of bacon at a time.
Duncan Idaho
BlueSmoke said:

This is why I love this board. Trying. Sounds awesome. If you are into banh mi sammiches, this sounds ideal.

Bahn mi. French and commie food. Why do you hate america so much?/forum16
Vernada
AG
We always oven cook now. Do a whole package at once.

Doesn't splatter grease all over the stovetop and all the bacon comes out nice and 'flat' and crispy.

Tailgate88
AG
BigLeroy said:

Quote:

I've made lots of homemade bacon as well as Canadian bacon (basically done the same way but out of the loin or tenderloin). Recently I started making buckboard bacon out of the Boston Butt cut. Its wonderful and cheaper than the pork belly. De-bone and cure about longer 2-3 days more and you are good to go. It has plenty of fat, but more meat. I dont think I will ever go back to pork belly.

Would you mind posting your whole recipe? I want to try this!
BigLeroy
AG
Quote:

Sure, this if for 5 lbs of pork (its what I use for belly as well). Boston butts can be twice this weight, but I suggest buying three 7-8 pounders, make a batch of dry cure that is 4X this recipe, then divide it into 3 ... one for each butt. Weight of butt will drop some when you debone.

Ingredients:
5 lbs pork
1 cup kosher salt
2/3 cup brown sugar
1.5 teaspoons pink salt
1/2 cup coarse ground black pepper
2 tablespoons granulated garlic
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Instructions:
Mix all the dry ingredients together well.

Cover the entire pork butt or pork belly with the cure mixture including the sides and rub it in really good.

Place meat in a ziplock bag and get all the air out of it as best possible.

Place into a large pan and put in the refrigerator for approximately seven days, flipping it over once per day.

You will notice the meat get firmer throughout the curing process.

if the meat is still a bit soft, it's not quite ready, but normally the 7-Day mark usually gets the job done. If it's a very large pork butt you may need an extra two or three days. The pork butts will take a little bit longer than the pork belly for the simple reason that they are thicker and it takes more time for the cure to work its way through the meat.

after the curing process is complete, remove the bag and rinse the meat thoroughly with cold water. Let the meat sit in a pan of cold ice water for about 2 hours. This will draw the salt out so the bacon is not too salty.

at this point I typically cut a little piece of the meat off and fried up and taste it to see if it's still too salty. If it is I soak it for another hour and repeat the process until I like the saltiness of the meat.

Dry off the meat and set it in the fridge on a rack by itself uncovered for about 4 hours. This will allow the surface of the meat to get tacky before you smoke it.

smoke the meat on a pit with your favorite wood at about 250 degrees. Bring the internal temperature of the meet up to 145 degrees.

immediately wash the meat off and put it into some ice water and cool it down to stop the cooking process.

chill overnight in the refrigerator.

If you want peppered bacon cover the smeat with cracked or coarse ground pepper at this point.

Slice and eat or freeze.

Enjoy ... its ez, better and cheaper than anything at the store.
Duncan Idaho
Might want to clarify that the pink salt is Prague powder or some other curing salt and not that Himalayan salt
BigLeroy
AG
Yes, that would be correct. It's not Morton's Tenderquick either.
Tailgate88
AG
Thanks! Will definitely give this a try soon!
schmendeler
AG
BigLeroy said:

Quote:

Sure, this if for 5 lbs of pork (its what I use for belly as well). Boston butts can be twice this weight, but I suggest buying three 7-8 pounders, make a batch of dry cure that is 4X this recipe, then divide it into 3 ... one for each butt. Weight of butt will drop some when you debone.

Ingredients:
5 lbs pork
1 cup kosher salt
2/3 cup brown sugar
1.5 teaspoons pink salt
1/2 cup coarse ground black pepper
2 tablespoons granulated garlic
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Instructions:
Mix all the dry ingredients together well.

Cover the entire pork butt or pork belly with the cure mixture including the sides and rub it in really good.

Place meat in a ziplock bag and get all the air out of it as best possible.

Place into a large pan and put in the refrigerator for approximately seven days, flipping it over once per day.

You will notice the meat get firmer throughout the curing process.

if the meat is still a bit soft, it's not quite ready, but normally the 7-Day mark usually gets the job done. If it's a very large pork butt you may need an extra two or three days. The pork butts will take a little bit longer than the pork belly for the simple reason that they are thicker and it takes more time for the cure to work its way through the meat.

after the curing process is complete, remove the bag and rinse the meat thoroughly with cold water. Let the meat sit in a pan of cold ice water for about 2 hours. This will draw the salt out so the bacon is not too salty.

at this point I typically cut a little piece of the meat off and fried up and taste it to see if it's still too salty. If it is I soak it for another hour and repeat the process until I like the saltiness of the meat.

Dry off the meat and set it in the fridge on a rack by itself uncovered for about 4 hours. This will allow the surface of the meat to get tacky before you smoke it.

smoke the meat on a pit with your favorite wood at about 250 degrees. Bring the internal temperature of the meet up to 145 degrees.

immediately wash the meat off and put it into some ice water and cool it down to stop the cooking process.

chill overnight in the refrigerator.

If you want peppered bacon cover the smeat with cracked or coarse ground pepper at this point.

Slice and eat or freeze.

Enjoy ... its ez, better and cheaper than anything at the store.
not trying to be sarcastic here, but have you considered using less salt (table salt) in your cure? maybe then you won't have to do a soak afterward? also, you could cut it into thinner pieces to cure faster, and might help with the oversalting issue.
BigLeroy
AG
If you use enough salt to properly cure it, you will have to soak it, or else eat salt pork. Soaking it is not a bad thing. It doesnt put enough water into the meat causing it to pop in the fry pan like store bought bacon. This bacon doesnt pop in the pan at all. In fact, its one of the best things about homemade bacon.

I do sometimes butterfly the pork butt right along he lines of the debone cut, but prefer to pick a smaller butt that is uniform in thickness. You get better overall slices with a proper meat/fat ratio.
schmendeler
AG
"If you use enough salt to properly cure it, you will have to soak it, or else eat salt pork."

I don't know that I agree with this. Maybe if you weren't planning to keep it refrigerated. I've made several batches of homemade bacon and didn't need to soak it.
BigLeroy
AG
Ok. Not trying to convince you that I am right. Do it anyway you want. Doesn't matter to me.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.