Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Five guys burgers vs Whataburger

11,323 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HTownAg98
Johnny2Fan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who has a better burger? Cost not included in the decision.
notheranymore
Oh lort. Here we go.
chipotle
What about the gallon of grease in the five guys burger? Does that factor in?
FtBendTxAg
AG
I've noticed 5 guys quality doesn't vary as much store to store as whataburger. I have only been to 3-4 5 guys locations, opposed to maybe 30 whataburgers, but you can get a drastically lower quality Whataburger just a few miles from another location. I guess the same can be said about any restaurant, but the toppings choices and fries gives 5 guys the win.
proudaggie02
AG
Five Guys isn't horrible, but I haven't been in 2-3 years.... and there are two Five Guys within 5 minutes of my house. On the other hand, I've had Whataburger on 9 of the 15 days I've been in Whataburger states over the past year.
schmendeler
AG
five guys no question. but they are also in different categories.
Bruce Almighty
AG
If I was being completely objective and trying both for the first time, I'm sure I would pick Five Guys. I'm not objective though. Whataburger is home and thats what I would pick if given the option. I've eaten at Five Guys twice and one of those times was at an airport. I just don't have a desire to ever eat there.
Ag_07
AG
schmendeler said:

This

Both are good burgers but it's apples and oranges to me.

I consider Whataburger in the fast food category with Jack in the Box and McDonald's while 5 Guys goes in the casual dining category with the likes of Fudruckers and Beck's Prime.

NColoradoAG
I give 5 guys the slight edge for a straight up double cheeseburger with all the fixings plus fries. But damn if I don't get a Monterrey Melt every time I'm in Texas.
Mathguy64
AG
5 guys is a better burger. But you can't get a patty melt anywhere but Whataburger.
Max Power
AG
5 Guys might be better, but I don't crave it. I live out of state now and there's a 5 Guys within 20 minutes of my house and there are no Whataburgers here. Every time I'm back in Texas I have to have one, also their fries and ketchup I miss. Nostalgia beats quality to me.

If I want a burger similar to 5 Guys I can make it at home with even better ingredients if the mood strikes, but I can't make a Whataburger.

Since they are in different categories a better comparison would be Smash Burger, but 5 Guys is way better than Smash Burger.
NColoradoAG
Max Power said:

5 Guys might be better, but I don't crave it. I live out of state now and there's a 5 Guys within 20 minutes of my house and there are no Whataburgers here. Every time I'm back in Texas I have to have one, also their fries and ketchup I miss. Nostalgia beats quality to me.

If I want a burger similar to 5 Guys I can make it at home with even better ingredients if the mood strikes, but I can't make a Whataburger.

Since they are in different categories a better comparison would be Smash Burger, but 5 Guys is way better than Smash Burger.
I agree with all of this.
FlyFish95
Nothing hits the spot better than the #1 with jalapenos from Whataburger.
tlfw378
AG
Whataburger. I would go to Whataburger 100 times in a row before I wanted to go to 5 guys. I have gone to 5 guys across the street from Augusta National and they were great. All others have been fair to bad.

I have had Whataburger from Jacksonville Fl to Phoenix AZ and I can't remember a time I had a complaint. Unlike a previous poster, I think the consistency of Whataburger is what I like.
TXAG 05
AG
DryFly said:

Except for a #5 with jalapeos
Bruce Almighty
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

DryFly said:

Exactly what I get
GigEmAgs15
AG
Different playing fields, Five Guys isn't fast food, Whataburger is.
BMX Bandit
Cstrickland05 said:

DryFly said:

#4 with bacon is much better
gigemJTH12
AG
Whataburger variance is starting to get really bad. I have a in town/out of town Whataburger theory that is true a lot of the time.

Whataburger in city limits sucks a lot of the time. Country town whataburgers are top notch.
FlyFish95
Along with country DQ's.
schmendeler
AG
I don't know about that theory. the one at westheimer and Timmons in Houston is top notch. I think the ones that get super busy at lunch are the best ones. they are like well oiled machines.
javajaws
AG
Neither...I prefer P Terry's.
schmendeler
AG
that's a good burger.
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
I get a number 1, add cheese, add jalapenos and grill them suckers, grill the onions, change out the bun for toast.
The Pilot
AG
Quote:

change out the bun for toast.
Tanya 93
Meh
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
The Pilot said:

Quote:

The toast is so much better.
Ag_07
AG
Buceesnuggets said:

The Pilot said:

Quote:

Yeah if you want a sandwich.

I'm there for a burger so bun it is.
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
I just eat it cause it tastes better. Dont care if its considered a sandwich or a burger.
Icecream_Ag
S
Buceesnuggets said:

I get a number 1, add cheese, add jalapenos and grill them suckers, grill the onions, change out the bun for toast.
So a number 4 with toast
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
Icecream_Ag said:

Buceesnuggets said:

So a number 4 with toast
Yeah.That.
slappy
AG
Get the bun toasted both sides...
62strat
AG
Maybe I'm the minority, but the only thing I crave from whataburger is taquitos after the bar closes.

But I don't really go out like that anymore, so my cravings are few and far between.
'03ag
Buceesnuggets said:

The Pilot said:

Quote:

agreed. I forget to do this all the time.
schmellba99
AG
schmendeler said:

This.

Whataburger is a fast food burger, and generally speaking - overrated at that. Some of their specialty burgers are pretty solid, but they are also so hit and miss between stores that it's hard to really compare.

5 Guys makes a good burger, but it's not a fast food burger either. Not the same category.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.