Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

BBQ Sauce recipe

12,191 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by EFE
OregonAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone out there have a good BBQ sauce recipe? I want to make something that's more watery, similar to John Muellers sauce that he had at his old place. It's been challenging to find one via google so I thought I'd try here. I loved the sauce at his old place.

Thanks in advance.
jgh85Ag
AG
My brother found this recipe years ago. I get lots of compliments on it. He used to help a Mexican restaurant in Suzhou China do a weekly Texas bbq buffet. My change is to use beef broth instead of water.

Texas Table Sauce by Texan Robert Stroud
The table sauce below is thin, very basic and good on all smoked meats. Really good on smoked ribs
*1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup ( or 1 cup good BBQ sauce per DLHI use a cup or cup half of our copycat San Antonio Rudy's BBQ sauce recipe we make weekly for the Texas BBQ at Suzhou Zapatas.
*If want Mustard style add also 1/4 cup French's Yellow Mustard (DLH)
1 cup water
6 Tablespoons white sugar
2 Tsp salt
2 Tsp chili powder (Get a good one Penderys, Gephardts,etc)
2 Tsp ground cumin
In a quart vinegar bottle, combine (through
a funnel) vinegar, ketchup, water, sugar,
salt and chili powder. Shake well and
store in the refrigerator for about a
week, so that the flavor is well blended.

On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
Ag_07
AG
Why not just make good BBQ and you won't need anything to mask it with? [/bbqsnobs]

But for a real response Aaron Franklin has a good recipe for his sauce that's pretty basic, watery sauce. Search YouTube and you'll find it.
OregonAggie
AG
Ag_07 said:

Why not just make good BBQ and you won't need anything to mask it with? [/bbqsnobs]

But for a real response Aaron Franklin has a good recipe for his sauce that's pretty basic, watery sauce. Search YouTube and you'll find it.

I actually laughed at myself as I posted this because I only use BBQ sauce on breakfast tacos, sandwiches, and when I screw up my BBQ...but I'm looking into doing a BBQ trailer and we're going to need a sauce.

I saw Franklins video last night and his sauce seemed simple enough to make. I may use it as a base.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
jgh85Ag said:

a Mexican restaurant in Suzhou China do a weekly Texas bbq buffet.

Joe Exotic
AG
HEB sells both John Mueller and Aaron Franklins sauce in a bottle. Just have someone in texas ship you some.
jgh85Ag
AG
Yep, long story. He is now installing a plant in Vietnam and has had a UDS built to use there.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
OregonAggie
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

HEB sells both John Mueller and Aaron Franklins sauce in a bottle. Just have someone in texas ship you some.

I live in Dallas now so I'll run by an HEB when I get a chance. Thanks!
BurnetAggie99
Here's the Orginal Louie Mueller Sauce Recipe

Sauce Recipe*

1 quart (32 ounces) catsup
3 quarts water
2 onions the size of baseballs, cut up fine (use 1 if they are the size of softballs)
2 beef bullion cubes
2 tablespoons salt, or to taste
cup black pepper, or to taste

In large pan, combine all ingredients, going gently with salt and pepper first.

Bring to boil over high heat and boil vigorously 40 minutes. Reduce heat to low, tast and correct seasonings, and let simmer 40 minutes longer. At end, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil again. Then it's done. Bottle in clean bottle or jars and store in refrigerator. Makes about two quarts.
Joe Exotic
AG
OregonAggie said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

I live in Dallas now so I'll run by an HEB when I get a chance. Thanks!

I think the closest to you is in waxahacie. They sell Blacks BBQ sauce too. Try the HEB store brand texas style sauce too. It's probably exactly what you're looking for and about $2 a bottle.
OregonAggie
AG
I go to Corsicana for work a few times a month and they have one there. I'm going to try to make the recipe BurnetAggie posted as well.

Thanks again for letting me know that HEB carries that stuff.
NColoradoAG
Franklins Espresso BBQ sauce is always a hit with friends and family.

https://www.eater.com/2015/7/2/8864653/franklin-barbecue-sauce-recipe-meat-burgers-ribs
EFE
AG
1 can tomato sauce
1 glass/cup white wine
1/4 cup brown sugar
Healthy squirt of yellow mustard
Healthy squirt of Schiracha or spice equivalent of cholula/Valentina/similar Mexican hot sauce
2 tblspns coarse black pepper
Juice from one orange
Salt to taste

This is the base for my sauce, I'll add other random stuff to try out, but I always start with this. Great to glaze ribs with, use as a pulled pork sop, anything that calls for sauce.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.