Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Little Help Ags (Situation smoking ribs)

1,591 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BlueSmoke
Seanzy2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I'm about 2 hours into smoking two racks of Memphis style spare ribs on my grill. I just got a a wireless digital temp (which is awesome), but as I leave my grill and get underneath my patio and watch yesterday's Rangers game, while monitoring my temps from 30 yards away.

Well I forgot a centrenella candle I left on top of the grill (I absent mindedly put it on top just to get it out of the way for a second but ended leaving it there and walking away. Well the candle's plastic melted and had some leakage when I came over and quickly took the candle off.

I opened the grill and didn't see any leak through minus some that go through a very small crack at the base, but it looks as though there was no spillage on the meat at all. The outside is covered in this stuff though but the inside doesn't appear to be affected.

I've been googling trying to find similar stories but I guess I'm the first person whose ever done this because I'm coming up short. So my question is...

Do you think I should scrape the meat if there is even a small chance that some of that candle is getting baked into my spare ribs?

Is centrenella dangerous to consume in small quantities?

Is it possible that in the next couple hours that centrenella will just evaporate away or just cook out?

I don't want to toss away good meat but I also don't want to take a shot at getting me and my family sick. I really don't think there was any exposure.

Any help is appreciated. Still got about 3 hours to go anyway...

bmc13
AG
can't speak for your product and what all might be in it but I think citronella leaves and oil are generally pretty safe. how did they turn out?
Seanzy2012
AG
bmc13 said:

can't speak for your product and what all might be in it but I think citronella leaves and oil are generally pretty safe. how did they turn out?

Actually the best I've ever done. Didn't get any candle on the meat thankfully.

Digital thermometer was a game changer.
BlueSmoke
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.