Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Homemade sausage query

1,220 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HTownAg98
Chief 12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anyone made homemade pork stuffed sausage without curing salt? I had an extra butt leftover, so I cut into strips, grinded and now the meat is in the freezer until firm. I noticed this morning I don't have any curing salt and will mix seasoning without it before stuffing.

My question is if I stuff and link, then leave in the fridge for 6 hours or until my butt is done smoking do I run the risk of contamination? Meat will not be left out for a long period of time, meat is almost frozen when stuffing, refrigerator is below 40 degrees, will cook above 165 internal, etc.

What are your thoughts?
Cowboy Curtis
AG
I'm no expert, but if you're not curing the meat and only smoking/grilling to consume same day I don't see the need for curing salt.
Belton Ag
AG
In your scenario I can't imagine there being any problems.

I make breakfast pan sausage from time to time in that manner and it keeps for a week or so before I need to freeze it.
HTownAg98
You only need curing salt if you are planning on smoking the meat to preserve it. For what you are going to do, you don't need it.
AgsMnn
AG
Just use salt and pepper.

Put on put with smoke.

Cook and eat. This is what is used in a lot of the small town sausages for the large festivals.

Keep it simple. Salt and pepper
TsuAg08

tsuag10
AG
The main reason that cure salt (modern cure, Prague powder, quick cure, celery powder, or any other form of sodium nitrite) is used is for protection against clostridium botulinum, extended shelf-life, and to help prevent the fat from turning rancid as quickly. The cure (especially in combination with cooking) helps prevent clostridium spore formation during the chill down process after cooking. Without sodium nitrite, the timeframe in which the uncured product needs to be chilled to below 40 is much shorter. Using cure helps give some protection against clostridium, and also allows for extended shelf-life. Whether it's raw or cooked, un-cured sausage might last 7-10 days max. at refrigerated temperatures. Cooked and cured sausage, especially in a vacuum package, might last 30-60 days at refrigerated temperatures.

As long as your sausage is being made, cooked and eaten, or frozen within a week or so, you're probably fine without cure.

Here's a real good link on the subject that fits this scenario perfectly:http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/curing_meats.html
agcrock2005
AG
I'd be interested in some venison/pork recipes...especially if they have habanero or something spicy in them. I've saved some venison the last couple years but just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.
HTownAg98
As long as you stay around 20% fat and around 60:1 meat and fat:salt ratio, the rest is just personal seasoning preferences.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.