Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Good Office Coffee Maker

2,488 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sazerac
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Board recommendation on a good , but easy to maintain and clean coffee maker for an office of about 10 regular coffee drinkers daily, and maybe another 3-4 guests to the office daily that drink it.

-Easy to Maintain/Clean
-Looks clean and professional
-Ability to use various kinds of KCups if its a machine that needs KCups
-Easy to use

I was thinking one of the Keurigs but wondering if its a lot of work.

Also, not opposed to making the coffee and storing it in a large serving thermos as long as it can stay hot for 3-4 hours minimum (don't mind making a second batch after lunch for the afternoon crowd).

Husky Boy Jr.
AG
I work in a bunch of offices in my job and I drink lots of coffee...the biggest hurdle is getting the machine that has a water line that runs into it and the installation of that. Once you accomplish that...its then a choice between one of the commercial grade keurigs (keurig 150) or the bunn coffee makers.

Overwhelmingly I see new/modern offices going with the keurig. It eliminates the problem of someone having to replenish the coffee after the carafe has been consumed. Also - if you have a guest they arent going to make a new pot of coffee if they are looking for one cup - I have run into this problem a few times. Its also as simple as it gets as far as coffee supplies and varieties.

FWIW you can get a better product out of the Bunn, but the convenience of the Keurig far outweighs this issue.

There are a bunch of companies out there that will lease you the machine, install it and provide supplies/service.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
So the Keurig would require some minor plumbing? Can't be hooked up otherwise?
bmc13
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

So the Keurig would require some minor plumbing? Can't be hooked up otherwise?

you can get (or used to be able to at least) a commercial grade keurig that uses a small water tank instead of a direct line. the direct line eliminates worrying about keeping the tank filled, though. we had it at one of my old offices and it wasn't that big of a deal although the direct line would have been nice.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
I used to work at title company and we had a Keuring machines that was hooked up to a line...

What sucked is that if it went down, no coffee for a couple of days until someone could get out there to fix it...

the greatness was not having to fill a damn reservoir all the time...
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
i've been to a couple of places including a local car dealership that have great coffee thermoses that seem to keep the coffee warm. not sure how often they are refreshed or refilled.
agdaddy04
AG
Ours is serviced by Aramark and it's a Curtis TLP. It's the carafe style and it comes with two carafes. Have the ability to make full pot or half pot and it is hooked to a water line. When it's done making you take it off and put it on a stand. It keeps coffee hot for 6 hours or so. Makes the full pot setting in less than 3 minutes.

The carafe is made by Zojirushi and it has a push lever to get the coffee out.
notheranymore
We had a Flavia with a direct line in the kitchen and one with a large water carafe by the board room. Direct line is ideal but with a large carafe you won't have to refill often.
Martin Cash
AG
bonavita
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
BQ75 said:

bonavita
this has really good reviews online and the set up works for our office situation. only problem is that the reviews say it only keeps the coffee hot for an hour or so at most.

really need something that stays hot for like 3 hours or so minimum if there's a product out there like that.
Martin Cash
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

BQ75 said:

bonavita
this has really good reviews online and the set up works for our office situation. only problem is that the reviews say it only keeps the coffee hot for an hour or so at most.

really need something that stays hot for like 3 hours or so minimum if there's a product out there like that.
It's an insulated decanter so it doesn't sit on a hotplate. It stays hot longer than an hour, but it does gradually cool. If it's too cool, I simply microwave a cup for 30 seconds. I much prefer that to the burnt taste you get from leaving a glass decanter on a warming plate for a couple of hours.
Mort Rainey
Don't be an lolpoor. Man up and get a nespresso
Martin Cash
AG
GeorgePlimpton said:

He said 'coffee maker.'
Mort Rainey
BQ75 said:

GeorgePlimpton said:

He said 'coffee maker.'
Nespresso is the only coffee maker that is truly worthy. Once he tastes it, he will never go back
AggieJason
AG
GeorgePlimpton said:

BQ75 said:

GeorgePlimpton said:

He said 'coffee maker.'
Nespresso is the only coffee maker that is truly worthy. Once he tastes it, he will never go back
Truth.

Looking for one of these for the office as we speak.
JSKolache
AG
Anyone ever had a good cup of coffee out of a Keurig? You pay 10x as much for 1/2 the flavor.
bigboykin
AG
I think installing the Flavia with direct water line was one of the best things we ever did. They're not cheap but I think the coffee is much better than a Kuerig. Either way, I think single serving coffee is the way to go. Every office I've been in with a community pot had the same issues....

- There's always a few who like to leave half a cup in the pot, so they don't have to make the next pot.
- Somebody always assumes if they're done having coffee, so is everyone else at 9am so they take the last cup and turn off the machine.
- Some people have a lot of trouble pouring that wily ground coffee into the filter/machine, and a pile ends up on the counter/floor to be cleaned up by somebody other than the one who made the mess.
- If it is not paid for by the company, somebody is always a mooch and doesn't chip in or buy when it's their turn.
- Someone will inevitably make an afternoon pick-me-up pot and leave half of it on overnight/over the weekend and create a smelly, charred coffee puck (or worse, and burn down your office).
- Some people just can't understand the green vs. red/black/brown/orange trimmed carafes and you'll get decaf in the regular pot or vice versa
- There's always waste, either from the guy who makes the extra pot late morning just in case others still want some, or the 4:00 in the afternoon guy who knows he's probably the only one who's going to have a cup.

There's probably more, and some of these are minor, of course, but a single serving brewer really solves all these. The only issue you're left with is refilling the water, which is also eliminated if you invest in the direct line.
BlueSmoke
Nespresso is the teets. Our offices in CA have them. They are such a great addition.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
Duncan Idaho
Don't forget the person that tries to be "helpful" and preps a day's worth of coffee by opening up and dumping the coffee into filters that they leave on the counter.
Or the "I didn't make another pot because I don't know how" 50 year old jackass.

I have been to several fortune 100 companies that have moved to industrial kerigs but they don't supply the pods. So you either have to bring your own or buy them at the self service kiosk down the hall.
Sazerac
AG
Flavia sucks.
Nespresso is a good choice.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.