Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

What's your preferred Olive OIl?

4,094 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Potcake
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Since getting on a healthy eating kick, we've been going through a lot more olive oil. I saw a report some time back about some of the common brands being a complete rip-off (can't find the article now). What are your go-to general use brands?
BSD
AG
Kirkland.
bigtruckguy3500
I usually buy store brand. Whatever says it's 100% EVOO on it. I had heard previously that some were being mislabeled and weren't true EVOO, but I kind of dismissed it. Looks like I need to reevaluate.

Here are some things I found: https://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2016/09/30/its-extra-virgin-olive-oil-day-is-your-evoo-real-or-fake/#566bfb282a64
Kirkland seems good to go: http://lifehacker.com/the-most-and-least-fake-extra-virgin-olive-oil-brands-1460894373
Proc92
California olive ranch brand.
cr
Proc92 said:

Ditto
HTownAg98
garc said:

Proc92 said:

Ditto

X3.
Matsui
AG
Less calories in heavy cream than olive oil
HTownAg98
That's great and all, but who cares?
Ogre09
AG
Matsui said:

Are you saying that as a proposed substitute, or to disparage both? They each have a solid, very distinct place in any decent kitchen.
John Francis Donaghy
Matsui said:

Heavy cream = saturated animal fat

olive oil = monounsaturanted plant fat

Big difference health-wise. Not to mention heavy cream tends to get used by the cup in recipes that call for it, while olive oil is generally used by the teaspoon.

And add me to the California group. I won't buy any olive oil that has any measure of Italian oil. Organized crime has way too much impact on Italian Olive oils.
Girlhowdy
AG
Where can I buy California olive ranch brand? Do I order online?

Don't say HEB. I live in East Texas.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Matsui said:

I hope you're not trying to suggest heavy cream is healthier than olive oil.
Tanya 93
Matsui said:

How does that saute my mushrooms?

And it is fewer, not less.
Cancelled
AG
Matsui said:

I like to mix them both into my orange juice.
rlb28
AG
Not sure of any of the brand names but Aldi grocery store has the cheapest.
Ogre09
AG
queso1 said:

Matsui said:

I like to mix them both into my orange juice.

I just threw up a little bit
bigtruckguy3500
http://blog.aboutoliveoil.org/21-olive-oil-brands-certified-for-authenticity

Carlini, found at ALDI, along with the ALDI brand are both on there.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Next time, mix them in Red Bull.
SACR
AG

Bertolli

I had a bottle of the garlic olive oil from Oil & Vinegar in Plano that was amazing, though.
schmellba99
AG
Texas Hill Country Olive Co.

texashillcountryoliveco.com/collections/olive-oil-evoo-flavored
FtBendTxAg
AG
I go through more olive oil these days after discovering eggs fried in the delicious nectar. Holy *****

California Olive Ranch is my go to as well. Good stuff for the price.
schmellba99
AG
I dont buy from California unless i have no other choice. Hate the politics of that state and the fact that they have no issue boycotting anything that doesnt fall within their PC agenda. So eff them.
Bruce Almighty
AG
schmellba99 said:

I dont buy from California unless i have no other choice. Hate the politics of that state and the fact that they have no issue boycotting anything that doesnt fall within their PC agenda. So eff them.

That's dumb
HTownAg98
schmellba99 said:

The folks that make that olive oil have very little in common with the politics of the state at large. And if you think the politics of California are bad, Italy is exponentially worse.
bcasey03
AG
100% kalamata Greek olive oil from trader joes
True Anomaly
AG
Whatever you get, so long as you see this on the bottle, it will definitely be unadulterated EVOO:

It's amazing to me the taste difference between old/skanky/diluted EVOO and the real stuff
Bulldog73
AG
I just want to make sure I have this right, you don't like that they boycott things they don't agee with, so you boycott them? Sounds fair, and I do the same at times, I'm sure.
FlyFish95
True Anomaly said:

Whatever you get, so long as you see this on the bottle, it will definitely be unadulterated EVOO:

It's amazing to me the taste difference between old/skanky/diluted EVOO and the real stuff
yep
schmellba99
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

schmellba99 said:

That's dumb
You can think what you want, I think it's dumb to willfully support something that you disagree with.

If Cali was the only place to get good olive oil, it'd be a different story, but they aren't and I have a choice. What I base my choice off of is my decision to make, just as you get to choose your decisions.

Bruce Almighty
AG
schmellba99 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

schmellba99 said:

That's dumb
You can think what you want, I think it's dumb to willfully support something that you disagree with.

If Cali was the only place to get good olive oil, it'd be a different story, but they aren't and I have a choice. What I base my choice off of is my decision to make, just as you get to choose your decisions.

Why are you even on this thread? This is a food board thread about favorite olive oils. Nobody asked you about your opinion on boycotting California items. You're just a troll derailing the thread.

95_Aggie
AG
schmellba turns everything into politics
rhoswen
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

schmellba99 said:

That's dumb

About as dumb as not buying italian oil because of the connections to the mafia.
John Francis Donaghy
rhoswen said:

Bruce Almighty said:

schmellba99 said:

That's dumb

About as dumb as not buying italian oil because of the connections to the mafia.

Nothing dumb about avoiding Italian oils due to mafia involvement. This is from February of this uear, and it's a longstanding and ongoing issue with Italian olive oil exports:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-italy-crime-food-idUSKBN1602BD

Quote:

ROME (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Italian police said they have busted a crime ring exporting fake extra virgin olive oil to the United States, highlighting the mafia's infiltration of Italy's famed agriculture and food business.

The gang shipped cheap olive pomace oil to the U.S. where it was re-labeled as the more expensive "extra virgin" variety, prized for its rich taste and health benefits, and distributed as such to retail stores in New Jersey, they said.

Italian crime syndicates earned an estimated 16 billion euros ($16.85 billion) in 2015 through illegal activities in the agriculture sector, up from 15 billions in 2014, according to Italy's agricultural association, Coldiretti.

Besides counterfeiting products, gangs make money seizing control of farmland and firms, fixing prices, controlling distribution and through labor exploitation, studies say.

In 2015, crime groups forced more than 100,000 Italians and migrants to work long hours for little pay in fields across the country, according to a report by Italian General Confederation of Labor union (CGIL).

Police said they found no evidence of labor exploitation linked to the fake olive oil scheme, which saw at least ten tonnes of low quality oil, in some cases past sell-by date, sent to the United States.

Pomace oil is extracted from olive pulp left-over from the production of higher quality oils using chemical solvents.

It costs about a tenth of the Italian made extra virgin variety, which sells at about 10 euro a liter, according to David Granieri, the head of Italian olive growers' association UNAPROL.
cr
Lil$Ag said:

Where can I buy California olive ranch brand? Do I order online?

Don't say HEB. I live in East Texas.

Wal Mart carries it
Potcake
AG
As opposed to Texas politicians? I also hope you don't watch TV shows or movies because they are mostly made in ...........
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.