Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Jack Daniels Distillery Tour

1,661 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by gigem70
'03ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thoughts? Will be in Nashville this weekend and the drive ins't too far. Not a huge fan of Jack, but I do like to tour these places. Done a couple in Scotland but none here. Wondering if I should skip it and wait until I can do some Kentucky distilleries.
schmellba99
AG
If you have the time, go for it. Will be fun regardless.
Bmac04
AG
Definitely worth the stop
tmaggies
AG
Enjoyed it but that was 27 years ago.....
mike073
AG
Do the tasting also. Very interesting tour. We enjoyed it very much the day before the Vandy game.
Gig 'em Aggies!

KJN86
AG
Did the tour in 2008. Definitely worth the trip. It's in a dry county so you cannot buy or taste it. True story.
Human
AG
KJN86 said:

Did the tour in 2008. Definitely worth the trip. It's in a dry county so you cannot buy or taste it. True story.

That is no longer true.
Furlock Bones
AG
Did it this April. Return trip after 27 years. I was 5/6 when my family went through there. Some things had changed but some things were still the same.

You can do tastings as of 2012. We did the Angel's Share tour.

aka Sloan Kettering aka Lazlo Hollyfeld
'03ag
the angels share tour looks great but I'll have the wife and 4 month old with me. Can't do a 3 hour tour. And the wife likes these tours, but isn't as into the tastings, so I don't want to pay 3 times the price for special tastings that she won't appreciate.
Ag 11
AG
Drink her tastings then. We went a month ago and I drank mine and my wife's
mike073
AG
Our tasting consisted of sampling the Sinatra version, two of the flavored offerings, regular Jack and one or two of the special selections of the head distiller. I found it very interesting to try them all in one sitting instead of looking through friend's bars hunting for them one by one. Watching them burn the wood that is chipped up for filtration, the barrel manufacture, the lack of people in the automated manufacture of the product itself were also very interesting to see. We also had lunch Mary Bobo's in town. Very extensive gift shop nearby. Jack Daniels markets an excellent line of seasonings as well as wood chips from their used barrels for home BBQ smoking.
Gig 'em Aggies!

schmendeler
AG
I went back when you only got a smell of whiskey, and then a glass of instant lemonade at the end. it was still fun and interesting, but I generally like breweries, distilleries, wineries, and factories in general.
alabamaaggie12
AG
If you can, try eating at Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House restaurant. It isn't easy because of its popularity, but this article has some good tips for doing so:

tripsavvy.com/miss-mary-bobos-boarding-house-1936868
texas.aggie.2010
Definitely try http://www.corsairdistillery.com/tours/ as well. I went to the Merritt Ave location which was great but wish I would have had time for the brewstillery at the other location. The Merritt Avenue is also cool for the old industrial building it sits in aping with a bunch of old random lathes and machine tools in the building hallway
Mathguy64
AG
We we went 5 years ago we walked up and got into Miss Bobo's. Last 2 seats at a table. Man that was a massive lunch.
Superdave1993
AG
We went to Jack Daniels while near Nashville last summer. Cool place and great town to walk around with shops for the wives in our group. The tour was not as good as the tours we have done in Kentucky, but was not horrible at all. If you have kids with your group you can't do the tasting tour(s). We broke into two groups and the wives took the kids and we did the tasting tour since it was a father's day trip. You can buy booze there and they are pretty good at etching the bottles with almost anything. They would not do Ol' Sarge for me, but I almost had them. They saw my Aggie shirt and realized it may be a copyrighted image.

Glad we did it, but would not go out of the way to do it again.

Edit for grammar dumb
gigem70
AG
Went a couple of years ago and really enjoyed the tour.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.