Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Tell me about the Instant Pot. /Snoopdogg

2,726 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by coppag92
Comeby!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got one over Prime day. My sister swears by them. Other than orzo, beans, lentils and yogurt, what else can I make with this thing?
BEaggie08
AG
Rice, short ribs, osso buco, carnitas, a variety of chicken dishes with a variety of sauces ( I made Tuscan chicken earlier in the week and made red wine and balsamic glazed short ribs last night). You can make a ton of stuff faster, easier, and sometimes better than you can without it.
Mule_lx
AG
There is a learning curve.

Serious eats has some good recipes. Anyone else have any good resources?
RK
AG
we haven't used ours for much, but I will say that boiled eggs done in it peel extremely easily...which is nice.
NColoradoAG
I've had the most success with shredded meat dishes, beans, and rice. I've cooked carnitas the most. It's nice to be able to do that in the evening and not use a crock pot or dutch oven. I've made a lot of shredded beef for french dips and burritos. I've also just thrown a mess of chicken thighs in there and then shredded that up for a weeks worth of chicken salad, enchiladas, tacos, etc.

Beans turn out pretty good too, but the gravy is sometimes lacking. I did bean soups a lot during the winter. The only issue with the bean soups is things like ham and sausage get a different texture when cooked in the instant pot. I started making the soup separate and sauteing meat separate.

It is also great for cooking rice. I cook a big batch once a month and then freeze portions to be used with stir fry, burritos, etc.

Overall I am happy with the product, especially during the fall and winter months where we are in the mood for certain types of food.
BEaggie08
AG
I haven't made cheesecake in it yet, but I have heard from those who have that it is awesome.
chipotle
Most of the stuff i've made in "slow cook" mode has been sub par. The saute and searing is awful (have to do that on the stove top. The pressure cooker part has been ight.
Comeby!
AG
I made some wings (reverse sear, lol!) yesterday and some mexican rice. I didnt quite get the rice timing right but was able to make it work.
BEaggie08
AG
chipotle said:

Most of the stuff i've made in "slow cook" mode has been sub par. The saute and searing is awful (have to do that on the stove top. The pressure cooker part has been ight.
I don't use it as a slow cooker, but I do use the saute function for searing often and I haven't had any issues. Does it do as well as a screaming hot cast iron pan? No, but it is also in one pot and allows me to easily de-glaze and incorporate all of the "drippings" from the sear.

It's not a take out of the box and become an instant pro kind of thing. You've got to learn what works well. As much as it does speed up the process, it still takes a little time to get the best results. For a majority of the pressure cooks, in my experience, the results are vastly superior if you allow for a natural pressure release for at the very least 15 minutes, if not completely. Using a manual pressure release as soon as your pressure cook has completed will most often result in shred-able dry meat.

To each his own though. If you don't like it, that's fine, but it's been pretty great for me. Then again, I'm a cheater and use an air controller on my BGE, so my opinions my be invalid.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I'll second the eggs. The peel just slides off.

And it's a great rice cooker.

We got ours as a gift last Christmas and really haven't explored it enough yet, but those two functions alone have made it a great gift.
Comeby!
AG

You're right. It'll take some time to figure out. That being said, one of the selling point is the cook time and with a natural release, you pretty much burn up all that time savings..
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Yes, I've made that same observation about the "time savings". That being said, there are a few things where it really does save some time. But I'm still looking for the magic of time saved + delicious to eat. In the meantime, I'll settle for a dozen boiled eggs that I can peel in about a minute!
BAT2007
AG
I love my 6qt Instant Pot and even ordered the 3qt one last week (comes in tomorrow!)

I posted a long post with recipes and links in this thread last year
Instant Pot Info
biobioprof
Snoopdogg?
docaggie
AG
I like ours especially for spaghetti squash.
Ten minutes in the pot versus 40 or more in the oven.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
HTownAg98
8 minutes in the microwave.
Max Power
AG
It's already been said but Serious Eats is a good source for pressure cooker recipes, the chicken enchiladas are a crowd favorite over here.

http://www.seriouseats.com/tags/pressure%20cooker
KidDoc
AG
I got one for Father's day and I haven't been too impressed. I am big on planning my meals every week though and have used slow cookers for a while now and I'm always happy with the results from the slow cooker. Instant pot just seems to mostly do the same thing but faster. To me that is not a big deal I can just as easily prepare the slow cooker in the morning, go to work, and bammo it is done.

The best thing I've had so far was a low country shrimp boil with corn, sausage, taters. That actually turned out really good and would not have worked with a slow cooker. The rest of the stuff I have tried has been edible but not remarkable.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Comeby!
AG
biobioprof said:

Snoopdogg?

Snoop would love a machine that actually produced Instant Pot.
bigtruckguy3500
chipotle said:

This is why I've refrained from getting one. It'd be nice to save room and have everything all in one, but I've heard mixed reviews on its ability to do all functions well. And then it doesn't have a handle on the pot part.

I might still get one since I could don't have a rice cooker or pressure cooker currently, and could probably put both to good use.
biobioprof
Comeby! said:

biobioprof said:

Snoopdogg?

Snoop would love a machine that actually produced Instant Pot.
doh. lol
coppag92
AG
You rang?

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.