Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Mickelthwait - austin

1,914 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by evan_aggie
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've heard it's good. is there usually a wait like the other big shots in Austin, or can one just show up and get bbq?
agcrock2005
AG
schmendeler said:

I've heard it's good. is there usually a wait like the other big shots in Austin, or can one just show up and get bbq?
Not sure since they got the top 10 ranking, but do yourself a favor and get the "knockwurst" and the jalapeno cheese grits (I don't even like grits!).

PS: When I went about two years ago there was a 45 minute wait around 11:15 but that's because they were slower than molasses taking orders/money. Surely they've gotten better at that.
schmendeler
AG
Interesting. What's another solid place to try in case they are a cluster? Franklin and LA barbecue are out of the question.
HTownAg98
Valentina's.
BSD
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Valentina's.

Are they brick and mortar now? I thought I remember seeing that they had moved.
HTownAg98
I've heard rumors, but I've been too lazy to verify.
schmendeler
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Valentina's.

I respect your food opinion, so this is a definite consideration.
Potcake
AG
We went two weeks ago, on a Saturday. Drove by the mass of humanity at Franklins. They open at 11:00. We were first ones there at 10:30. Parked in their parking lot. Hung out at table as people started to gradually come in. Everyone pretty much chilled until we formed line at 10:50, and almost everyone lined up in semi order they walked up in. We had our food by 11:20.

We had pork ribs, sausage, and brisket, all really good. Will try a beef rib next time. The beans and cheese grits were excellent. The slaw, not so much.
One other thing, they had free Austin Beerworks beers iced down. Free.
Matsui
schmendeler
AG
Potcake said:

We went two weeks ago, on a Saturday. Drove by the mass of humanity at Franklins. They open at 11:00. We were first ones there at 10:30. Parked in their parking lot. Hung out at table as people started to gradually come in. Everyone pretty much chilled until we formed line at 10:50, and almost everyone lined up in semi order they walked up in. We had our food by 11:20.

We had pork ribs, sausage, and brisket, all really good. Will try a beef rib next time. The beans and cheese grits were excellent. The slaw, not so much.
One other thing, they had free Austin Beerworks beers iced down. Free.

Good info
Jason_Ag98
AG
They moved further south but they're currently still operating out of the food truck while they renovate the future restaurant space. Not sure when that will be open.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Rumor is he is opening a new bbq place in Smithville. Actually, he told me himself.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Valentina's brick and mortar is open
RAM700BA
AG
If micklethwait is too busy go to Kerlin, Freedman's, or Terry Blacks. Less busy and better more consistent BBQ in my opinion.
AggieOO
RAM700BA said:

If micklethwait is too busy go to Kerlin, Freedman's, or Terry Blacks. Less busy and better more consistent BBQ in my opinion.
kerlin's pork ribs were outstanding. everything else was good but not great. I'd probably put them last on my list of the above + franklin and micklethwait.
RAM700BA
AG
They get the ribs right every time.
BurnetAggie99
Good BBQ but not the best but be ready to wait around a hour or so.

If you don't want to wait try Kerlin's, Smokey Denmark's, Valentina's Tex-Mex BBQ, Freedmen's BBQ, Brown's BBQ, Eastside Tavern, Stiles Switch
evan_aggie
AG
I've had them twice and was disappointed with most of their BBQ. I don't recall any of it being particularly good.

The last time was a couple of years ago though. I will need to try them one more time to see if they've improved.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.