Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Something you've cooked/created that's close to 100% natural as possible. w/Details.

2,751 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Girlhowdy
Seanzy2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've always had a strange fascination with this idea and I've wondered about extreme examples of people who've gone the extra mile to make something 100% natural and from scratch (and ideally still taste good).
________________________________________________________________________________________
An example:

Made ice cream from cows milk that you actually milked and sugar cane you picked (ok bad example but you get the idea).

Or sun dried beef jerky from a deer you hunted or cow you slaughtered with salt from water you boiled from the ocean (that might be real extreme but you get the idea).
________________________________________________________________________________________

This doesn't mean I don't want to read less extreme examples, those are certainly welcome and appreciated.
(If you used a little of store bought something, that does mean we're not interested in hearing about it.)

Any post would be a welcome read.

I'm just curious how far some people have taken it.

We all know one guy out there who makes his own glass containers that he uses to make his own wine from grapes he grows in his backyard. Or the beekeepers who make their own honey and mead.

Let's hear about it!

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Salsa and Tomato Sauce with all veggies, fruit and herbs from the garden
Ag_07
AG
Grilled a steak from a cow my FIL raised and had processed.

Ate sushi from a tuna we caught and cleaned just a couple hours beforehand. Walked it right in to the sushi place and handed to the chef. It was actually still too warm for them to cut it so we had to have drinks at the bar while it was chilled.

DiskoTroop
Eat fish and birds I've caught/killed. Done that since I was a child. Grew vegetables and fruit in the garden. Made pasta out of flour we ground ourselves at a "Pioneer Day" event. That was pretty neat.
Seanzy2012
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

Eat fish and birds I've caught/killed. Done that since I was a child. Grew vegetables and fruit in the garden. Made pasta out of flour we ground ourselves at a "Pioneer Day" event. That was pretty neat.
Hunt and fish as well. We grow veggies too.

Making the pasta from your own ground flour sounds awesome.
AggieChemist
AG
Roulade made with wild turkey breast I shot and stuffed with ramps and morels I picked.
AggieChemist
AG
I also caught a trout on a fly I tied with hair from a deer I killed with an arrow I made.
Duncan Idaho
AggieChemist said:

I also caught a trout on a fly I tied with hair from a deer I killed with an arrow I made.

Yeah but did you grow the tree that made the shaft?

biobioprof
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Salsa and Tomato Sauce with all veggies, fruit and herbs from the garden
I'd say veggies from the garden, but not sure if it counts after all the stuff from Lowes that went into the beds: garden soil, fertilizer, compost, mulch ...

Pesto from basil that reseeded itself? Nah, didn't grow the garlic, olive oil, or pine nuts.

Also, I'm guessing that nobody is really 100% unless you didn't use any salt or made your own.
biobioprof
Duncan Idaho said:

AggieChemist said:

And did he use a MEATER to measure the temp while cooking it?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Salsa I guess, but salt and lime juice came from the store.
Matsui
AG
Try eating 100% raw vegan diet
spud1910
AG
When I was a kid, I would walk down the creek with my cousin catching crawfish by hand. We would wrap in clay we dug from the banks and steam until done. Pretty good. But we did use matches we bought from the store to start our fire.
Seanzy2012
AG
AggieChemist said:

Chuck Norris follows the TexAgs Food and Spirit board.
Seanzy2012
AG
I just read the original post.

I meant to say "that does NOT mean we aren't interested."

I mean it'd be pretty crazy if we didn't use anything from the store, I was just seeing if there was someone out there who was as minimalist as possible on the store bought items.
Sooner Born
My ultimate goal would be to smoke a brisket from a cow that was raised by a friend on a smoker I built using wood from a tree that I cut with salt made from seawater I harvested and pepper berries that I grew.
Slicer97
AG
Matsui said:

Try eating 100% raw vegan diet

That sounds f'n miserable.
Slicer97
AG
Seanzy2012 said:

I just read the original post.

I meant to say "that does NOT mean we aren't interested."

I mean it'd be pretty crazy if we didn't use anything from the store, I was just seeing if there was someone out there who was as minimalist as possible on the store bought items.

If I didn't have a job and an 8 year old with extracurriculars, I'd consided something like that, but as it is, cutting my own vegetables and grinding my own hamburger/breakfast sausage is about as far as I go.

Due to the fact that part of my job involves the evisceration and examination of recently deceased animals in the name of science, I don't hunt anything bigger than dove. Cleaning a deer or a hog would be too much like being at work and that kinda defeats the purpose of the exercise.
AggieChemist
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

AggieChemist said:

I shot a turkey and made the fletchings from his feather. Is that good enough?
Sooner Born
Depends. What did you shoot the turkey with?
AggieChemist
AG
A shotgun.
country
AG
We don't buy any meat from the store. I butcher a steer every year that I raise on our ranch. I shoot whitetail and axis deer and we eat all of it. I also stock up on fish from the coast 3 or 4 times a year when I can get down there for several days of fishing. We raise a fairly large garden and do a lot of freezing and canning so for the most part all of our vegetables are grown by us. We are not crazy loons that stay away from the grocery store. In fact we laugh our ass off at the craziness of the natural/organic movement. I have no problem eating a fast food burger. I just put food away the same way I grew up doing it. Habit I guess.
FarmerJohn
AG
Quote:

That's just about a Busch beer commercial.
Duncan Idaho
AggieChemist said:

Duncan Idaho said:

AggieChemist said:

Depends....did you knape the Flint for arronhead?
AggieChemist
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

AggieChemist said:

Duncan Idaho said:

AggieChemist said:

No, but I filed down an old piece of saw steel.
Tanya 93
Collected the walnuts and helped collect the honey I used to make honey glazed walnuts. Egg whites came from a friend's chickens.
Seanzy2012
AG
This thread has not disappointed. Awesome stuff guys.

There is a ranch that raises grass fed cows about 50 miles from us that'll let you buy a whole butchered cow. We've given it a lot of thought, but from what I understand, even with our extra fridge, I don't think we'd have enough space for it.

I'm not one of those vegan/organic followers either, (still eat fast food, store bought everything) but I do like learning about being self sustaining as far as food goes. Just an interest.

I think Bee Hives and Chickens might be our next few projects.
Seanzy2012
AG
Sooner Born said:

My ultimate goal would be to smoke a brisket from a cow that was raised by a friend on a smoker I built using wood from a tree that I cut with salt made from seawater I harvested and pepper berries that I grew.

I'm not sure if you are kidding or not, but I think that'd be pretty cool if you did. I'd post that with pictures if I did that. Cutting the oak, building the smoker, etc.

Could definitely see this as being possible with an outdoor stone pit.
Duncan Idaho
AggieChemist said:

Duncan Idaho said:

AggieChemist said:

Duncan Idaho said:

AggieChemist said:

But you didn't forge the steel.
Slicer97
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

AggieChemist said:

Duncan Idaho said:

AggieChemist said:

Duncan Idaho said:

AggieChemist said:

But you didn't forge the steel.
Or mine the ore to forge the steel.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Ate my pig I raised in FFA. Even made tamales out of its head.
country
AG
Just as an FYI a whole butchered steer will take up an entire upright freezer. I'm not sure the cubic feet in mine but it's a big freezer. A whole steer is a crapload of frozen beef. But it's awesome to have it. Only thing I would suggest is to take the grassfed beef and finish it for thirty days on a good quality corn. I just don't like the flavor of beef without a finish. in a controlled environment there is absolutely nothing wrong with finishing beef off on grain.
Girlhowdy
AG
I grind organic wheat berries from Montana with a grain mill to make whole wheat flour. I use it to make bread the old-fashioned way, only adding salt, water, yeast, oil, and honey. Only other back to basics thing I do is can the sh*t out of every home grown tomato I can get my hands on. Also, usually pick strawberries to make and can jam.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.