Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Anybody else making macarons?

1,664 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiespartan
aggiespartan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I ordered 4lbs of almond flour on prime day, so I'm going to try a couple of different techniques this weekend. I've been using the french method, but I always have some hollow shells. I think I'm going to try the Italian method next.
schmendeler
AG
no
aggiespartan
AG
I see that
HTownAg98
Google Stella Parks guide on making macarons. She covers every conceivable thing that can happen, and her recipe is solid.
aggiespartan
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Google Stella Parks guide on making macarons. She covers every conceivable thing that can happen, and her recipe is solid.
Ah, the brave tart recipe. I've done it already.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I love macarons, but they look like the biggest pain in the ass.
aggiespartan
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I love macarons, but they look like the biggest pain in the ass.
They are easy to make, but difficult to get perfect. Bakeries even sell ones that aren't just right.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
We make them often and took a great class while we were in Paris. Just like so many things so much of it is temp control.
Comeby!
AG
I ate the **** out of them last year in Paris. My 10 year old daughter popped them like popcorn last week at North Park Mall's Nespresso store.
BringJackieBack89
AG
Never made them, but here are the best you'll find, aside from in Paris.

http://www.shopsucre.com/
BSD
AG
BringJackieBack89 said:

I had lunch at the Salon there last spring. And then spent a small fortune downstairs buying macarons. It was all excellent. Their are lots of good places to get them now. But there are still tons of bad ones out there. We took a class on making them a while back and apparently humidity plays a big role.
BringJackieBack89
AG
BSD said:

BringJackieBack89 said:

I had lunch at the Salon there last spring. And then spent a small fortune downstairs buying macarons. It was all excellent. Their are lots of good places to get them now. But there are still tons of bad ones out there. We took a class on making them a while back and apparently humidity plays a big role.
And the best ones are the "king cake" macrons at mardi gras time!
aggiespartan
AG
BSD said:

BringJackieBack89 said:

You can still make them in high humidity. Some people have problems with meringue in humidity, but it's never been a problem for me.

On my macaron pages, there are always people who visit Paris and buy macarons from every shop they come across and compare them. Even some of them there are just sad. It makes me feel not so bad about mine when I have hollows, though.
BSD
AG
Meringue. That was it. We haven't tried to make them in a while.
Hudson2508
AG
Best macarons I've had, including Paris, is at Bakery Lorraine in San Antonio of all places. Of course she trained under Thomas Keller at Bouchon so it makes sense.

Only tried them once at home using Keller's recipe and they were ***** Still fun though.
aggiespartan
AG
Hudson2508 said:

Best macarons I've had, including Paris, is at Bakery Lorraine in San Antonio of all places. Of course she trained under Thomas Keller at Bouchon so it makes sense.

Only tried them once at home using Keller's recipe and they were ***** Still fun though.
I don't really like Keller's recipe. It's over complicated. The French method is so much easier if you can get it down.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.