Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Tri Tip question

2,688 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by agnatgas
The Shank Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Smoked my first tri-tip today. Rubbed it with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne. Smoked it at around 225-250 for 2.5 hours to 140 internal temp. Wrapped it for 20 minutes then cut and served. Looked perfect medium rare

Now before it sounds like gloating, here's the question. What's the big deal about it? It was good but it was not better than a steak and not better than a brisket. Did I do something wrong or is it just supposed to be a decent but nothing to write home about cut?
HTownAg98
It's a good steak, and it used to be pretty cheap. I like it because it has good flavor and palatability, and my wife likes it because it is lean. But if you cook it past medium rare, it's not that great.
GtownRAB
AG
Just like htown said, it used to be cheaper and was a very good value cook. They have become more popular so the price has risen. They can still be good, as an economical, quick dinner compared to cooking a higher quality/more expensive steak.

Usually they are cooked quicker, and 140 F is the high end I would cook it too. The longer you cook it, the tougher and drier it gets.

Personally, I agree with you and would go towards a brisket or ribeye, but changing things up sometimes works well also.
The Shank Ag
I guess the hype had me expecting something more. Flavor was halfway between a sirloin and almost corned beef. Was definitely not bad and I loved having it be a quick 3 beer mid week smoke, but I was expecting it to melt like a 18 hour brisket and taste like a ribeye when I bit into it. Stupid internet getting my hopes up
OregonAggie
AG
The Shank Ag said:

I guess the hype had me expecting something more. Flavor was halfway between a sirloin and almost corned beef. Was definitely not bad and I loved having it be a quick 3 beer mid week smoke, but I was expecting it to melt like a 18 hour brisket and taste like a ribeye when I bit into it. Stupid internet getting my hopes up

The quick 3 hour smoke aspect is what I love the most about them. I've smoked them, roasted them, and grilled them and always enjoyed them. My wife has been a fan of them since they're lean like the previous poster said.
FIDO*98*
AG
The Shank Ag said:

Now before it sounds like gloating, here's the question. What's the big deal about it? It was good but it was not better than a steak and not better than a brisket. Did I do something wrong or is it just supposed to be a decent but nothing to write home about cut?

140 when you pulled it is already beyond medium rare. Throw in your 20min wrapped rest and the carryover temp rise and you overshot the mark by 8-10 degrees
aggiebq03+
Agree with the above, it's never going to be the most amazing cut but when you can find it cheap it makes a good meal. I've found when visiting family in LA area you can get them dirt cheap there, since it's where a lot of them get shipped. Just like I can get brisket in Texas for $2/lb, but even a cheap one in some other parts of the country might be $3-4/lb.

The key for me is cook them to medium rare, and the skinny ends will end up medium for those who prefer that. Then slice very thin across the grain. Think like a roast beef as opposed to thin like a brisket slice. Makes some great sandwiches and also goes well with chimichuri sauce or a fresh salsa.
Tailgate88
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

The key for me is cook them to medium rare, and the skinny ends will end up medium for those who prefer that. Then slice very thin across the grain. Think like a roast beef as opposed to thin like a brisket slice. Makes some great sandwiches and also goes well with chimichuri sauce or a fresh salsa.

This. You overlooked it. Try another and pull it ten degrees earlier.
NColoradoAG
Smoke it to 120 internal and then sear the outside. You want to get a nice dark crust on it. That will give it that nice charred steak flavor.
bigboykin
AG
Agreed with almost all above. You aren't going to get bark in 3 hrs, so you need to reverse sear to get that depth of flavor. Also, I can get one for about $9 that will feed my whole family. Ribeyes would run minimum $24 and a brisket $40 (and would also take 12+hrs.). It's definitely not some miracle cut, but the cost and minimal time required make it a great addition to the dinner repertoire.
Whoop04
Good advice on this thread. 140 was over done. Solid meat, but won't change your life.
aggiebq03+
Whoop04 said:

Solid meat, but won't change your life.

I am almost certain there is a "that's what she said" joke to be made here
Tailgate88
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

Whoop04 said:

Solid meat, but won't change your life.

I am almost certain there is a "that's what she said" joke to be made here

There is and you just made it.
ORAggieFan
NColoradoAG said:

Smoke it to 120 internal and then sear the outside. You want to get a nice dark crust on it. That will give it that nice charred steak flavor.

This. I usually only smoke it 45-60 minutes then finish seating on hot grill.

Slicing it properly is also very important. The grain changes and the turn.
Philip J Fry
AG
It's a big deal because Californians love it.
agnatgas
AG
I like it. Would never smoke it. Reverse sear is your friend.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.