Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Back from NOLA

2,872 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jcbaggie04
rooftop18403
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just got in from some time in New Orleans. First time in my adult life so I went all out on the food scene and hit the big names, the hole in the walls, the markets, street vendors and hotel buffets. I paid high prices for shellfish at nice restaurants and then did the modest $11 po-boys. All in all it was good... but... that's about it.

Is the NOLA overrated? I had it built up in my head that this was the end all be all for seafood but honestly the food wasn't any better than quality places from Houston to Dallas. Does anyone else feel this way or my taste buds just not that refined?
schmellba99
AG
Going to go with "not refined", at least with respect to the type of food you go to New Orleans for. NOLA is really great at food...in the cajun/creole category. It's such a unique style of cooking that it simply isn't replicated in many other places, at least to not any appreciable degree. Steak, seafood, burgers...all are done really well at a lot of places all over the country. South Louisiana style food, with few exceptions, is generally localized to south Louisiana.

If you say it was as good as you can find in Houston or Dallas...I'd ask what places in Houston or Dallas you are talking about, and what type of food specifically.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Where did you go and what did you order?
Ag_07
AG
I think something is wrong here.

I'm not aware of many places in Houston where I can get great creole food like I can in NOLA. I can think of maybe 2-3 but that's it.

SO MANY better options in NOLA.
Seanzy2012
AG
Your going to need to elaborate more when you post something as outrageous as New Orleans being overrated.

Where exactly did you go? Details?

You did go in the heat of the summer so it might have been the sun and humidity getting to your head.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG

Quote:

Is the NOLA overrated? I had it built up in my head that this was the end all be all for seafood but honestly the food wasn't any better than quality places from Houston to Dallas.
rooftop18403
Menu:
Beignets @ Du Monde. Fun atmosphere and coffee was good but there's only so much a pastry and powdered sugar can do.

Eggs Benedict (Chicken St. Charles) @ Ruby Slipper. Best meal of the trip.

Shrimp and grits @ Boucherie. Good but comparable to Luxe Caf in Dallas (Lovers & Inwood - closed now - doesn't help argument)

Etoufee @ Mulates & Gumbo @ Dragos. Both good but no better than... I'll say it... Papadeaux

and the complementary Jambalaya @ the Sheraton on Canal St.

Treebeards, Brennans and Floyds (Beaumont) while maybe inferior in some departments certainly should not feel sub par to the Treme.

Seanzy2012
AG
You ate at the hotel?

You did right on Du Monde and the Ruby Slipper.

You done messed up on Mulates. Tourist crap trap.

Few other options (there's a lot more but just my immediate thoughts):

Central Grocery Muffuletta.
Johnny's Po-Boys
Grab drinks a Pat O's
Tursiops93
AG
Deanies? Arnaud's? Jacque Imos? Cochon Butcher? Mother's? Gumbo at Commanders Palace? Sooo many more places you should have gone!
bularry
Tursiops93 said:

Deanies? Arnaud's? Jacque Imos? Cochon Butcher? Mother's? Sooo many more places you should have gone!
I wouldn't waste N.O. time at Mother's or Deanies, personally, but the others are spot on.

if you went to Drago's and didn't get the charbroiled oysters, then you made a user error.

If you went "all out" and didn't eat at places mentioned above or spots like Guy's po boys, Parasol, St CHarles Cheese Co, Peche, Herbsaint, August, Cochon, Emeril's, Shaya, Mariza, Irene's, Commander's Palace, La Petite Grocery, Lillette, Sylvain, Casamento's, Acme Oyster, etc. ??? Ruby Slipper is great, especially the old house location in Mid City, but Surrey's is a local classic too. how about a Dat Dog and beer?

then you gotta go drink at Avenue Pub or Barrel Proof or the Bulldog or Carousel till the wee hours of the night.
Tursiops93
AG
I love the turkey ferdie at Mother's. The original Deanie's in Bucktown has always had super fresh seafood and the BBQ shrimp is REALLY good.

X1000 on the chargrilled oysters at Drago'S!!! Could eat 20 dzn of them!
BMX Bandit
Other than ruby slipper breakfast, none of those choices would have been in my top 20+ choices.
Matsui
AG
OP Nola fail
you got the food experience you deserved

Also - good strategy on the hotel buffets. I can't think of a better way to gauge a city's food culture than to belly up to the buffet of a chain hotel.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Op, no offense, but you did a poor job of picking restaurants.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Op, no offense, but you did a poor job of picking restaurants.

And dishes. He went to Dragos and got... gumbo.
FarmerJohn
AG
I'll agree that Du Monde is overrated.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah...You fcked up.

Now you know to ask here first because if you did only Ruby Slipper would've been reccomended andyou didn't eat the dish that Dragos is known for.
After reading this again, has to be an obvious troll
Punked Shank
AG
Haha either the biggest fail or trolling. I'm going with fail.
Wicked Good Ag
Not to mention didn't go to
GW Fins
gumbo Shop
Bayona
Elizabeth's for breakfast
Willie Maes Scotch House
Dokey Chase
Galatories

And Cafe du Monde is for sitting and people watching with a snack nothing wrong with it if you look at it like that
keeperofthespirits
Also Parkway Bakery for a surf and turf PoBoy.

And yes OP you messed up. You made a few decent choices for a 1st timer but gumbo at the Sheraton. Why not go to Paris and have the wine and cheese in the club lounge of the Sheraton and complain about the wine and cheese in Paris?
notheranymore
Elizabeth's praline bacon. Oh my
dustin999
AG
rooftop18403 said:

I had it built up in my head that this was the end all be all for seafood but honestly the food wasn't any better than quality places from Houston to Dallas.

Quality seafood places in Dallas? You mean like Luby's and Chili's? I don't know if I'd ever compare Dallas and Houston when it comes to seafood, so therein lies problem #1.
FtBendTxAg
AG
if you went and didn't go to shaya then, fail. If I could eat there every day, I would.

Most people here are countering op's tourist trap crap with tourist trap crap
Wicked Good Ag
Ft bend. Have you eaten at some of the recs??

Shaya is great but I wouldn't eat every meal there

Please tell me which ones people have suggested that are bad tourist traps
Belton Ag
AG
All you guys that say the food scene in NYC is so great are full of it. When I was there I ate at Applebee's, Olive Garden and Burger King. Wasn't any better than I can get right right here in Bryan.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I always laugh when I'm in NYC and the Times Square OG has a line out the door.
PeekingDuck
AG
Gumbo shop
Wicked Good Ag
PeekingDuck said:

Gumbo shop

What??
jcbaggie04
AG
so just to clarify....you are saying they don't have whataburger in NOLA?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.