Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Food allergies

902 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
jtp01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, my 6 year old son is allergic to any dairy of any kind. We struggle to find something "new" and get stuck in a good rut.

Any suggestions for a dairy free meal? I cook 95% of all of our meals due to the allergy, eating out is difficult to find something that he wants but has no dairy. He understands he can't have it but sometimes it's just easier to remove the option at a restaurant.
aggiespartan
AG
I have a friend with this problem, and they use Earth Balance "butter." They even use it in baking and say they've never had a problem with it. Whatever you can't use that for, you can probably use oil. I think while cooking dinner, butter and cheese are most of the dairy we use, and for most of those things, you can just leave the cheese off (tacos, chili, etc.)
jtp01
AG
we usually replace all milk with almond milk, and butter with the smart balance non dairy spread. We make it work, just need some inspiration for finding a new meal to add to our current rotation. He gets tired of us looking for something to cook for supper and have to veto ideas because we can't do it without dairy.
Bruce Almighty
AG
My three year old is allergic to dairy and eggs and it sucks. His two favorite meals are spaghetti and steak, so we do those almost weekly. We do a lot of different tacos, bean soup, fried rice (we serve him before we put the egg in it), various kebabs, teriyaki, burgers, beef stew, pot roast, pork chops, and pulled pork.
aggiespartan
AG
Make him this cake, but make the frosting sweeter. chocolate cake

tacos, pot roast, pork roast with roasted vegatables, fried catfish with fried squash, various soups, bbq chicken legs, baked beans. You can make mashed potatoes with the earth balance. Literally any vegetable. Pork loin, pork chops. Anything on the grill.

If you're looking for sweets, make him some meringues. Maybe do a pavlova with lemon curd instead of whipped cream. You can also find dairy free stuff that they use for whipped topping.

I haven't made these cakes before, but some of my cakey friends swear by them crazy cakes
biobioprof
jtp01 said:

So, my 6 year old son is allergic to any dairy of any kind. We struggle to find something "new" and get stuck in a good rut.

Any suggestions for a dairy free meal? I cook 95% of all of our meals due to the allergy, eating out is difficult to find something that he wants but has no dairy. He understands he can't have it but sometimes it's just easier to remove the option at a restaurant.
Asian. There are still things to watch out for, but on average I think there should be a lot of options and fewer temptations.
SA Ag 91
AG
I know you are asking for recipes/suggestions for meals etc. but wanted to make sure you are aware of FAAN(Food Allergy and Anaphalaxis Network)- I have two nephews with life threatening food allergies and FAAN has been a God send.

From their website...
The mission of The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN) is to raise public awareness, to provide advocacy and education, and to advance research on behalf of all those affected by food allergies and anaphylaxis (a life-threatening allergic reaction). FAAN is the world's largest nonprofit organization providing patients information about food allergy and educational resources to schools, health professionals, restaurants, pharmaceutical companies, the food industry, and government officials.

Edited for spelling error.
jtp01
AG
Thanks for the suggestion folks. I really appreciate it, keep them coming.

91, we are well aware of FAAN. We have several close friends who also have allergy kids and we talk a lot between us. As a matter of fact, last week a good friend's daughter tested eggs and she can finally have eggs and it was a really cool experience.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
lots of vegan cheeses and ice cream and such...

I believe Kroger sells stuff like that...I've had it before, the cheese and mac and cheese, it's pretty good...
aggiespartan
AG
aznaggiegirl07 said:

lots of vegan cheeses and ice cream and such...

I believe Kroger sells stuff like that...I've had it before, the cheese and mac and cheese, it's pretty good...
Yea, I was going to suggest home made pizza with the fake cheese.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Dairy free ice cream and pudding is pretty good. I can't do the soy cheese though. I've tried making the dairy free mac n cheese for my son and we both couldn't eat it. Amy's makes vegan cinnamon rolls and biscuits that are pretty good.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Wife has a dairy allergy so I've leared to cook for her. Someone already said asian, I have a nice wok so we do quite a bit of that. I grill 5x a week, lean meats, salad, lot of veggies. I'm sure it's harder with a kid who wants "fun" kid foods.

Canjun food (if you swap out the lbs of butter used)
Is easy to alter. Red beans and rice from scratch is awesome. Life loves hatch chilies so she has a few soup recipies. Also, tortilla soup is really good, from scratch.

If she gets cranky I just make her a three olive martini. Might work on your kid too.

Damn, now this has got me craving Thai.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Dairy free ice cream and pudding is pretty good. I can't do the soy cheese though. I've tried making the dairy free mac n cheese for my son and we both couldn't eat it. Amy's makes vegan cinnamon rolls and biscuits that are pretty good.
do you remember what brand of mac and cheese you got?
jtp01
AG
While we live in Amarillo now, I grew up in the rice belt in SE Texas and I make really good Cajun/Creole food. We do a lot of blackened fish tacos and fried catfish along with hush puppies I adapt to use almond milk.

We do lots of Asian, Southern (I messed up a pan of cream gravy using sweetened coconut milk once) lots of grilling/bbq. Steaks, that boy eats steak like nobody's business. Calls out a restaurant when they over cook his medium rare steak.
Bruce Almighty
AG
aznaggiegirl07 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

do you remember what brand of mac and cheese you got?

Daiya and Road's End.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.