Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Fried back strap

3,613 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by FIDO*98*
FabricatorAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Have axis strap out to thaw want to fry it up with onions and make a gravy with it. Anyone got pointers
I like mullets, and bourbon whiskey..
HTownAg98
Leave it whole and roast it to medium rare. Use the rendered juices to make the gravy for the onions, and add bacon fat if necessary. Cook the onions down until they are well cooked, and add a tablespoon or two of flour to singe it. Add some good quality chicken stock, some fresh thyme, adjust for seasoning and serve. Then you will never have to mess with frying blackstrap ever again.
ConstructionAg01
AG
Tenderize, soak in buttermilk (or milk and egg), coat with HEB frying flour. Use a colander lined with paper towels to drain. Stand the pieces up around the sides and the bottoms won't get soggy like laying flat on a cookie sheet.
cevans_40
AG
ConstructionAg01 said:

Tenderize, soak in buttermilk (or milk and egg), coat with HEB frying flour. Use a colander lined with paper towels to drain. Stand the pieces up around the sides and the bottoms won't get soggy like laying flat on a cookie sheet.

Cooling rack works well to keep crispy crust as well.
schmellba99
AG
Get a cast iron skillet hot, put some olive oil in - enough to go about 1/4" of the depth of your backstrap.

Cut the backstrap into about 1/2" to 3/4" thick medallions. Season with coarse salt, seasoned pepper, maybe some garlic and a sprinkle of thyme. Sear about 45 seconds on each side until rare-med rare.

If you want some extra flare, wrap in bacon on the outside like you see filet mingons done.

Enjoy. Simple, easy and absolutely delicious.
CyAg
AG
My neighbor's a big hunter and he gave me (among other venison products) some back strap, already sliced and tenderized. I took some out of the freezer this weekend and did the following.

Seasoned it lightly with a little salt, pepper and garlic powder and then chopped the meat up (kind of a coarse tartare consistency). Sauted it briefly (like very briefly), took it off the heat and set it aside.

Then I brought some water to a boil, added a little more salt, pepper and garlic powder and dropped in some brown rice, a little diced celery, some green beans and some chopped carrots.

Cooked that for 45 minutes or so, added the back strap and then moved the whole pan to an ice bath to let the mixture cool.

Gave it to my 12 year old and she absolutely loved it! Best way I've found to use the stuff.

Did I mention my 12 year old is a chocolate lab?
schmellba99
AG
CyAg said:

My neighbor's a big hunter and he gave me (among other venison products) some back strap, already sliced and tenderized. I took some out of the freezer this weekend and did the following.

Seasoned it lightly with a little salt, pepper and garlic powder and then chopped the meat up (kind of a coarse tartare consistency). Sauted it briefly (like very briefly), took it off the heat and set it aside.

Then I brought some water to a boil, added a little more salt, pepper and garlic powder and dropped in some brown rice, a little diced celery, some green beans and some chopped carrots.

Cooked that for 45 minutes or so, added the back strap and then moved the whole pan to an ice bath to let the mixture cool.

Gave it to my 12 year old and she absolutely loved it! Best way I've found to use the stuff.

Did I mention my 12 year old is a chocolate lab?
Life must suck if you think giving backstrap to your dog is the best way to use the stuff.
CyAg
AG
Life doesn't suck dude... it's just she likes venison much more than I do. Pretty simple really...
FIDO*98*
AG
I made some CFAxis over the weekend (hams tenderized with a Jaccard and pounded to 1/2").

Tried something new with these after eating at Bluebonnet Grill in SA. I blended up some roasted jalapenos with the buttermilk until fully pured that I soaked the steaks in overnight. For cooking I double dipped in seasoned flour -> egg wash made with eggs and jalapeno buttermilk -> seasoned flour. I was cooking for a crowd so I deep fried instead of cast iron. They came out great with just a nice warm heat that didn't blow you away. Served them with black pepper cream gravy
Tex82
I've always seasoned the backstrap with a mixture of salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. You can also use any type of steak seasoning. Uncle Chris's made by Fiesta Brand works great. Let those sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours then take buttermilk and a couple of eggs, mix those together in one bowl. In another bowl mix flour, pepper, and any other spices you want and stir that up. I've had great outcomes with Tony Chachere's. It can be salty if you overdo it. Take the backstraps out and dip them in the milk / egg combo, then dip them in the flour combo. Repeat if you'd like then put them in a skillet heated up with peanut or any other type of oil. Let them cook on each side for about 4 - 5 minutes or until brown and crisp, flip once then let sit on a drying rack to crisp up for a few minutes before serving.
Larry S Ross
AG
Any of the fry methods above but use plain yellow mustard in lieu of milks for bath. Then flour and fry.
Works well w fish too.
Cancelled
AG
Pretty simple. Flour. Meat. Hot oil. Seasoning afterwards.
tmaggies
AG
CyAg said:

Life doesn't suck dude... it's just she likes venison much more than I do. Pretty simple really...

No one likes a smart ---
AggieChemist
AG

Mongolian backstrap.
FIDO*98*
AG
Found a picture of AC on the hunt

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.