Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Halo Top Ice Cream

5,825 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ww
End Of Message
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you havent tried it yet, give it a go. Im not much into sweets/ice cream, but picked it up at Central Market over the weekend.

https://www.halotop.com/flavors/
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.
AggieOO
given it a try a couple times with different flavors. just not impressed. i'd rather just eat ice cream.
aggiespartan
AG
I don't like it. The texture is weird.
The Pilot
AG
Quote:

Im not much into sweets/ice cream,
This is why you don't take advice on ice cream from someone who doesn't like sweets.

BSD
AG
AggieOO said:

given it a try a couple times with different flavors. just not impressed. i'd rather just eat ice cream.

Same here. Not my thing. I bought three and took a few bites of each, promptly trashed them, and dug into the real ice cream we had bought.
Joe Exotic
AG
Id rather eat a smaller portion of real ice cream.
htxag09
AG
I agree with most on here. However, my wife does like it, or at least tries to appear trendy and says she likes it... But anyway, if you let it "rest" at room temperature for a few minutes the texture does get better, not as good as ice cream, but better.
JYDog90
AG
Does it tear up your digestive system and your plumbing for 3 days like most foods like this do?
Formerly Willy Wonka
End Of Message
AG
No
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.
ORAggieFan
Had first time last night and love it.
FarmerJohn
AG
Quote:

The texture is weird.
Yep, tried about three bites and trashed it. Been a while but I remember it being almost chalky.
GunRangeGal
AG
The oatmeal cookie flavor is pretty dang good.
Zemira
AG
Somehow I got a free pint of this. I was looking forward to trying this, but the bar for tasting good has been lowered.
AgEng06
AG
I've never tried Halo Top, but everyone I know that has says you really have to let it sit out for a little bit to soften before trying it. It apparently tastes completely different (and better) once it softens.
Theblondewonder
AG
I used to buy HT frequently, but decided to stop because of the sugar alcohol (erythritol).
keysercade
AG
Tried the S'mores flavor... one bite and down the disposal. One of the worst tasting ice creams I've ever had and agree on the horrible texture.
investorAg83
AG
Big fan of the peanut butter cup. Cookie dough pretty stellar too. And I always liked one of the original flavors, lemon cake.

I've always liked it. Is it better than real ice cream...no. But it's healthier and satisfies the sweet tooth.
aggietony2010
AG
AgEng06 said:

I've never tried Halo Top, but everyone I know that has says you really have to let it sit out for a little bit to soften before trying it. It apparently tastes completely different (and better) once it softens.

This. If it's in a regular freezer, let it rest about 5-10 minutes. From a deep freeze or chest freezer, it needs 10-15.

They even say to let it rest on the package.
aggiespartan
AG
aggietony2010 said:

AgEng06 said:

This. If it's in a regular freezer, let it rest about 5-10 minutes. From a deep freeze or chest freezer, it needs 10-15.

They even say to let it rest on the package.
I'm not interested in ice cream that I have to let thaw out.
evan_aggie
AG
investorAg83 said:

Big fan of the peanut butter cup. Cookie dough pretty stellar too. And I always liked one of the original flavors, lemon cake.

I've always liked it. Is it better than real ice cream...no. But it's healthier and satisfies the sweet tooth.

I've been eating HT for a while. I've tried all of their flavors minus black cherry and chocolate almond crunch. I don't know why, but certain flavors have more water/ice textures and aren't as soft and creamy when cold.

I've noticed The Salted Caramel flavor is the creamiest. Peanut Butter is also very good, followed by Pistachio (tastes more like vanilla to me) and maybe Lemon Cake and Oatmeal.

The rest have different textures. A website or two ranked all 18 flavors.
AggieChemist
AG
If you're trying to stay low carb, it's a pretty damn good fix. A half cup is almost free. Something like 6 g net carbs and 100 calories.

Having said that, that is its only utility. It's passable to scratch an itch if you're trying to be good.
ORAggieFan
Maybe that's why I like it more than others, I've only had Salted Carmel and find it pretty creamy.
Garrelli 5000
AG
My wife likes HT. According to her, you have to let it sit for a while and melt slightly for the texture and taste to improve. Don't eat it straight from the freezer.
Matsui
AG
Like it.
Broncos
There is a disclaimer on the carton that says to let it sit for a few minutes to soften. Definitely helps with the consistency.

The peanut butter cup and birthday cake are pretty good. I didn't really like the s'more.
Bunk Moreland
I stopped eating ice cream a long time ago, even though I love Blue Bell.

The Halo Top Chocolate is pretty damn good imo. As mentioned, let it sit for a bit.
docaggie
AG
We tried the vanilla and oatmeal cookie last night.
I liked the latter, but we both agreed the vanilla had a weird aftertaste.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TXAG 05
AG
Just tried the cookies and cream. Went straight to the trash can. Tastes like cardboard
FtBendTxAg
AG
Have heard the oatmeal cookie is the best
schmendeler
AG
If you like oatmeal ice cream, try oat of this swirled by Ben and Jerry.
investorAg83
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

Just tried the cookies and cream. Went straight to the trash can. Tastes like cardboard

I've tried almost all of them and cookies and cream is my least favorite by far. It's terrible. And I LOVE every other cookies and cream.

Don't judge HT by that flavor. They tried. But they failed.
AggieOO
investorAg83 said:

Cstrickland05 said:

I've tried almost all of them and cookies and cream is my least favorite by far. It's terrible. And I LOVE every other cookies and cream.

can i judge it by the other terrible flavors?
ww
AG
Got a coupon for a free pint, so I picked up strawberry because my son likes that flavor and I fully expect it to suck (after reading about it on TexAgs).
TXAG 05
AG
investorAg83 said:

Cstrickland05 said:

We also got the top chocolate and it was just as bad. If you like it, that's great, but I won't be giving it another chance.
schmendeler
AG
our HEB recently got a new house brand called "Swoon" that was pretty good. I tried the banana s'more flavor.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.