Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Help me find ways to use our garden tomatoes!

2,536 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SACR
GunRangeGal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our tomato crop didn't fair so well last year, so we planted earlier with more plants. Well this year we are overrun with cherry tomatoes. I pick at least 2lbs of ripe ones a day.

I use the big tomatoes for caprese salad, pico, and salsa... but have no idea how to use large amounts of cherry tomatoes.

Currently I have one tomato sauce recipe that's pretty solid and freezes well, but that's about it. My husband isn't crazy about dried tomatoes, so that's not really an option. Soups? Preserving methods that a novice could do? Pizza sauce? Uses for them once they've been frozen... because we have pounds of frozen ones in the freezer already? Help!
normaleagle05
AG
I like a smoothie. I'll preface this by saying I love bitter foods. Most folks won't even like what I LOVE.

Frozen cherry tomatoes
Greens (I like kale,spinach, arugala, especially kale)
Raw egg or two
Greek yogurt
Celery
Avocado
Liquid (I like almond milk)

Blend and enjoy...if you're able. I do a lot of variations on the above but these are bitter/savory smoothies. Be prepared, most folks dont like them. I do, but I also like 100+ IBU IPA's., so my tastes are not for the masses.
normaleagle05
AG
Also, I don't think I knew you got married. We met when I did the paperwork on your Ruger at Independence Firearms. That seems like a lifetime ago. My four year old daughter might say it was. Congratulations on the nuptials.
schmendeler
AG
Share them?
Beckdiesel03
AG
I normally do a cherry tomato and avocado salad. Halve the tomatoes and use chunks of avocado and cover with homemade Italian dressing. It's the perfect summer side dish
momlaw
AG
Freeze them on baking sheets then freezer bags or food saver for cooking all winter long. Nothing beats vine ripened tomatoes, even if frozen, in soups, stew, sauces. The skins will slip right off when they thaw.
momlaw
AG
I bought when I was your age, and still have, this cookbook, Too Many Tomatoes when my garden exploded with produce.
Tanya 93
Pickle them when green for bloody Marys.
Dehydrate them for dried tomatoes.
Roast several pounds and turn into a marinara sauce.
Freeze whole and drop into stews, soups, and pasta sauces during the winter.
Tanya 93
I forgot to mention gazpacho

That is an awesome dish with from the garden that day tomatoes
BlueMiles
AG
I like them chopped and scrambled into eggs. Add other goodies as desired.

I know he doesn't like them dried, but you can cut them in half and dry on low (warm) in the oven to keep them if needed. They will rehydrate when you cook with them later.
Martin Cash
AG
Regular tomatoes are easy to can in mason jars. Cherry tomatoes would be a royal pain. Too small.
Tanya 93
BQ75 said:

Regular tomatoes are easy to can in mason jars. Cherry tomatoes would be a royal pain. Too small.
Not remotely a pain.

I do it every year.
CrottyKid
AG
Still works for salsa.
GunRangeGal
AG
Thanks for the suggestions! We've given away tons and I think out friends and family still haven't used what we've given them. After making that tomato sauce last night, I think I'm done giving them away... too good to share!!
Tanya 93
Fatooush is an awesome salad.

Just toast up some pita bread and use greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, and radishes. Olive oil and lemon juice drizzled over the top.
AggieOO
CrottyKid said:

Still works for salsa.
this. i've been making a batch of salsa every week with cherry tomatoes.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
Cherry tomatoes are great for bruschetta. I like the pioneer woman's recipe.
AgsMnn
AG
What's this sauce recipe you speak of?
jtp01
AG
Mom and dad have picked over 35 bushels of tomatoes so far this year. Mom makes homemade ketchup/sweet tomato relish. She will drew them with bell pepper and onions as a "base" for pasta sauce or other things calling for stewed tomatoes. She freezes them in quart bags which is almost perfect for a family of four.
aggiecive
AG
This is a favorite in our house. Tomato/grilled corn/avacodo/blue cheese salad. http://www.howsweeteats.com/2013/07/embarrassingly-easy-grilled-corn-tomato-salad-with-blue-cheese-and-basil-ribbons/print/
SACR
AG
AgsMnn said:

What's this sauce recipe you speak of?

Gif recipe of an easy cherry tomato sauce

Honestly, I'd just use the extra tomatoes and make a few batches of sauce, and either freeze it for later, or give it away.
Flashdiaz
AG
you can sundry them (seasoning and bake)... eat as is or throw it in a blender for a sundried pasta or marinara sauce.
SACR
AG

Also a simple cherry tomato salad recipe
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.