Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Sous Vide Cheesecake

1,076 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by biobioprof
Dumpster Fire
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I tried this over the weekend with amazing results.

I did it with the little jelly jars and it turned out amazing. The creaminess and texture of the cheesecake was the best I've ever had.

Sous Vide Cheesecake
chipotle
You have my attention.
Duncan Idaho
My fat ass would make that in a Ziploc, cut the corner to make a pastry bag and sit my ass on my couch.
Joe Exotic
AG
I'm going to try this but vacuum seal the whole springform pan
biobioprof
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

I'm going to try this but vacuum seal the whole springform pan
Anova has a recipe that does that, but it looked kind of dubious to me, what happened when the Will It Sous Vide blogger tried it is about what I was afraid of:

https://skillet.lifehacker.com/will-it-sous-vide-creamy-cheesecake-edition-1786079579
Quote:

Immediately, there were problems. First of all, the cheesecake has to be inserted into the bag sideways, making immersion a little tricky, as the zipper portion of the bag is now parallel to the cake, rather than perpendicular like it is in most sous vide applications. Trying to submerge a pan without tiltin it in 80-degree water while keeping the zipper out of said water was pretty much impossible (and painful), so I filled my sink with cool water and immersed it in there. Miraculously, I was able to express pretty much all of the air without getting any water in the bag. I then transferred the cake to the hot water, where it proceeded to float on top.
Quote:

It wasn't five minutes later, when I noticed the aluminum covering the top of the springform pan had puffed up, causing the whole thing to tilt to one side.
Quote:

I tried fiddling with the spatula, moving it to one side in an attempt to correct the tilt. During all of this fiddling, the bag broke, releasing an entire cheesecake into my water bath. The panic that followed was severe and, to an outside observer, probably hilarious.
Quote:

I now had 12 murky quarts of cheesecake water, two very wet socks, and one very gross cheesecake. Though, from the looks of it, the cake was beginning to set, and may have turned out okay had the bag kept it together.
I think it would work if you set it up so the pan is resting on some kind of support and not fully submerged, with a weight to hold it down. I doubt that there is significant heat transfer through the air gap between the mix and the top of the pan.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.