Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Need ideas and recipes for smoking

3,206 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Max Power
AgMarauder04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
New electric smoker for this novice showing up tomorrow.

As someone who has NEVER smoked a single meat, what are some suggestions/starter recipes?

Thanks, gents!
Oso96
AG
Either a pork butt or baby back ribs would be an easy start. They are very forgiving.

This website might help out.
http://masterbuilt.com/recipe/category/smoked
HTownAg98
What kind of smoker is it?
Pork butt is a good one to do, as it is very forgiving and can tolerate wide temperature swings while you get it dialed in.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Pork butt

9$ perfect seasoning cook
Bruce Almighty
AG
From what I've read on this board, salt, pepper and meat are the only three things you need.
HTownAg98
Nah, pork butt takes well to a good rub.
AgMarauder04
AG
What seasoning is this?
AgMarauder04
AG
Masterbuilt 30 inch digital electric smoker.
HTownAg98
I don't want to rain on your parade, but the folks at amazingribs.com really don't like that smoker.

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/smoker/masterbuilt-30-electric-digital-smokehouse-top-control

That being said, if you've done your research and decide this is your best option, knock yourself out. But if you haven't opened it, you may be able to return it. If you decide to do this, give us a budget, and I'm sure the fine folks here would be willing to find something that will work for you.

One thing I have learned with grilling/smoking is that having the best equipment at your budget is really important. If you're constantly fighting with your equipment, it takes the fun out of it really quick, especially when it is hot as hell outside. Good equipment also allows for more drinking time.
87IE
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

As someone who has NEVER smoked a single meat, what are some suggestions/starter recipes?

Thanks, gents!
Chicken wings......
  • Fiesta chicken rub
  • Smoked Paprika
  • cayenne pepper

Go easy on the cayenne.

Set smoker to 250 degrees. Add soaked chips (I like apple for pork and chicken)

Smoke for 2-2.5 hrs

I cheat on my pulled pork....

Pork Butt

• Put pork butt in a aluminum pan
  • inject with apple juice
  • rub with Fiesta pork rub

Get the smoker to 250 and add soaked apple chips

Smoke for 12 or so hours until the bone pulls out.
pour drippings in a fat separator
pull pork and add some of the liquid.

Yes it's braising but you will get a good bark on the top

Smoked meatloaf

• ground beef
  • rub of your choice
  • BBQ sauce
  • breadcrumbs
  • eggs
  • milk (if you want)

• link of smoked sausage

Mix it all up and form a loaf around the sausage in an aluminum pan. Sprinkle with rub. Smoke at 250 for 3 hrs (until internal temp is 165 ish) . Brush on coat of BBQ sauce on the top.

Spare ribs

Pull the membrane off the back of the ribs and coat both sides with Fiesta Rib Rub. Sprinkle brown sugar on the top and smoke for 4-5 hrs at 250.
AgMarauder04
AG
I aware it's not the best, and my budget is pretty lean. This is the first negative I've seen and most say it's a great casual smoker and excellent if I am sticking to the electric variety.

Thanks for the update.
jgh85Ag
AG
If you never had pork belly, give it a try. Salt, pepper and a little turbinado sugar.
jgh85Ag
AG
If you are using wood chips, academy has a great selection and good prices.
Tanya 93
Tomatoes and peppers to make a salsa
agcrock2005
AG
jgh85Ag said:

If you never had pork belly, give it a try. Salt, pepper and a little turbinado sugar.

Prob shouldn't start out making bacon for his first round of learning how to smoke stuff.

I'd do a pork butt. Very easy to make a great one if you have a good injection, rub and can take it out at the right temp to rest.
jgh85Ag
AG
Who said bacon? Smoked pork belly is easy and very good.
agcrock2005
AG
jgh85Ag said:

Who said bacon? Smoked pork belly is easy and very good.
Oh. Forgot people eat that these days. Too much fat for me. Would be very easy to make though.
kurt vonnegut
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Thanks, gents!

Spatchcock chicken is nearly impossible to mess up on a smoker. It isn't the sexiest thing to start with, but if you just want to start with something quick and simple, its a good option. Use a fryer or young bird, 325 deg, apple wood, salt + pepper, pull it when you hit 165 in the breast (+/- 2 hours), let it sit for a few minutes, and enjoy.
Max Power
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

AgMarauder04 said:

Thanks, gents!

Spatchcock chicken is nearly impossible to mess up on a smoker. It isn't the sexiest thing to start with, but if you just want to start with something quick and simple, its a good option. Use a fryer or young bird, 325 deg, apple wood, salt + pepper, pull it when you hit 165 in the breast (+/- 2 hours), let it sit for a few minutes, and enjoy.
Good smoked chicken can hang with just about anything. Lots of places just overcook it and it gets dried out and chewy. One of my favorite things to smoke no doubt. Just find a rub you like, or even just straight up salt and pepper, and get a good meat thermometer or probe.

Ribs are fairly easy to start out with as well. Keep them at 250 for around 5-6 hours. I don't wrap but plenty out there go with the 3-2-1 method.

Pork butt is fairly hard to screw up, but it's a long cook and you end up with a ton of meat so you could either end up with a ton of leftovers (not a bad thing if its good) or a lot of bad bbq.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

Good smoked chicken can hang with just about anything. Lots of places just overcook it and it gets dried out and chewy. One of my favorite things to smoke no doubt.
I agree. One thing I've started doing that takes it to another level IMO is pulling the skin back to put the rub directly on the meat and then covering back up with skin and using toothpicks to secure. Protects the meat from the heat keeping it moist, while the rub cooks directly into the meat. I also inject. Good and cheap stuff.
NColoradoAG
Tri Tip is a good one too. Cooks quick and takes well to smoke. Cook at 225-250 until it hits 125 internal. Sear it off on your grill. Make sure you slice it the correct way.
BirdieJF
AG
I've been putting thick cut bacon on our pellet smoker and it is unbelievable. Also, really been enjoying throwing whole chickens on ours. Cook them, debone them and eat in casseroles or just out of the fridge
BirdieJF
AG
Brine your chicken first for extra flavor as well
HTownAg98
txaggieace said:

Dry brine your chicken first for extra flavor as well

Fixed.
Beckdiesel03
AG
Marinated or bribes dove breast wrapped in bacon. It's the only time we can get cooked bacon and not dried out birds. Our electric smoker got an electrical short and we had to toss it. I miss it it the most for that and chicken and pork and ribs . So easy.
Beckdiesel03
AG
Brined.
Proc92
Anyone ever butterfly a boneless pork butt to increase surface area and cut down on time?
permabull
AG
beb06
AG
If doing chicken, I pull it at 150 in the breast. Then you won't have dry chicken.
Max Power
AG
Proc92 said:

Anyone ever butterfly a boneless pork butt to increase surface area and cut down on time?

Not to cut down on time so much as to cut down on the amount of meat, but yea you can trim up a pork butt to fit your needs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.