Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Screw you costco

3,807 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by wadd96
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have been spending a lot of time in Alabama. The pork BBQ is ok but it isn't brisket. And you can't find brisket here. Not at the grocery store, not at restaurants.

So I was estatic when I went into Costco and saw that they had prime briskets. I couldn't believe it so I asked the guy if this was something they were going to continue to carry. He said it was so I went out and bought an akorn and a controller.

Did a pork butt this week to see that I had everything working right and went back last night to buy a brisket

Look in the meat counter and there's not a single brisket to be seen just a whole bunch of trimed Flats. So I asked the guy hey where are the briskets?
He points to the trimed flats and says right there.
No man I mean the full Packer brisket you had last week.
What do you mean these are full packages of brisket.
No I mean the big full Packer briskets.
Right. these are big 5lb packages of brisket. We have 4 more boxes in the back just like these and that's the only kind of brisket we have ever carried.

So now I have a smoker I have zero interest in using.

I'm half tempted to go back and buy Costco's fake Big Green Egg use it one time and return it just out of spite
aggiespartan
AG
They will have it again. It's just not a regular item. They have it when they can get a good deal on it. We buy 3 or 4 when they get in stock.
AgEng06
AG
Duncan Idaho
AgEng06 said:

I was so disappointed last night, I would have punched him harder than Clark Griswold punched wally
REMtx
Some Costcos have the prime packers while sadly some only carry the flats. I lurk on the Egghead forum for Big Green Egg fans and this topic comes up from time to time. Seems to be a thing that varies region to region.
Duncan Idaho
I was aware of that and it is why I was so excited when they had them and said that they would start carrying them.

Oh well. Maybe they will get them in before I leave
HTownAg98
Have you thought about ordering one from your grocer?
schmendeler
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I have been spending a lot of time in Alabama. The pork BBQ is ok but it isn't brisket. And you can't find brisket here. Not at the grocery store, not at restaurants.

So I was estatic when I went into Costco and saw that they had prime briskets. I couldn't believe it so I asked the guy if this was something they were going to continue to carry. He said it was so I went out and bought an akorn and a controller.

Did a pork butt this week to see that I had everything working right and went back last night to buy a brisket

Look in the meat counter and there's not a single brisket to be seen just a whole bunch of trimed Flats. So I asked the guy hey where are the briskets?
He points to the trimed flats and says right there.
No man I mean the full Packer brisket you had last week.
What do you mean these are full packages of brisket.
No I mean the big full Packer briskets.
Right. these are big 5lb packages of brisket. We have 4 more boxes in the back just like these and that's the only kind of brisket we have ever carried.

So now I have a smoker I have zero interest in using.

I'm half tempted to go back and buy Costco's fake Big Green Egg use it one time and return it just out of spite
i'll buy the controller for $1
JYDog90
AG
I know a guy who bought a tv at Costco. Four years later he decided that he wanted a new one and so, knowing Costco's return policy, he took it back and said he was dissatisfied with the picture quality. They took the tv back...

Theee weeks later he got a letter from Costco sending him his membership fee back and saying he wasn't allowed to be a member any more. That strikes fear in me. I love Costco.
Formerly Willy Wonka
schmendeler
AG
willie wonka said:

I know a guy who bought a tv at Costco. Four years later he decided that he wanted a new one and so, knowing Costco's return policy, he took it back and said he was dissatisfied with the picture quality. They took the tv back...

Theee weeks later he got a letter from Costco sending him his membership fee back and saying he wasn't allowed to be a member any more. That strikes fear in me. I love Costco.
cold blooded! I love it.
agcrock2005
AG
SRF Wagyu

Order a few...they're only $189 each. Why not?
Mathguy64
AG
Go back to Costco, get a 10 lb pork belly, get some Prague powder, cure it for a week in the fridge then put that Acorn and controller to good use and make some real bacon.
hbc07
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Because my grocer charges $7-$9/lb and not the $2-$3/lb that costco does
agcrock2005
AG
hbc07 said:

HTownAg98 said:

You Duncans sock? I'm confused.
hbc07
AG
agcrock2005 said:

hbc07 said:

HTownAg98 said:

You Duncans sock? I'm confused.
Brisket ain't cheap in the PNW (granted it's only a flat, but no packers in stock at the only store i can shop online at right now). Look at that! On sale for $5.99/lb

alabamaaggie12
AG
Sam's Club in Huntsville always has Choice Angus packers for around $3/lb, and I would assume Sam's statewide do too. Star Market in Huntsville can probably get ahold of a Prime packer, but you may have to order it in advance.
Duncan Idaho
Thanks. I was at Sam's yesterday. All they had we're flats at $5.99/lb.

I asked if they could get then and he suggested that I call on a truck day and request that they order a case.
alabamaaggie12
AG
Crap. Guess it's been a while since we've done a brisket. But I usually take a look at them when I am in Sam's, and thought it hadn't been too long since they had a pile of them on display. My bad.

If you want decent brisket (for this area, anyway) cooked by someone else, Chuckwagon BBQ on Hwy 20/Madison Blvd just west of Wall Triana intersection has quite a following. He's catered our last three Musters.
Joe Exotic
AG
Makes me feel guilty seeing those choice packers at Kroger last week for $1.67 a pound
Duncan Idaho
I am down Birmingham way. So it might be a different market.
alabamaaggie12
AG
Well you need to get up here, because I just picked up a Prime packer at our Costco for $3.69 a pound! Sam's had Choice for $3.18.

I guess we have more Texans up here! But you have Whataburger and we don't, so I guess there are always trade offs...
normaleagle05
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Makes me feel guilty seeing those choice packers at Kroger last week for $1.67 a pound

LOL, I bought four. Not feeling guilty. I'm feeling like last week's smoked point was excellent, this week's brisket flat pastrami was at least as good, and like the pastrami I've got left will be even better.
agcrock2005
AG
normaleagle05 said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

LOL, I bought four. Not feeling guilty. I'm feeling like last week's smoked point was excellent, this week's brisket flat pastrami was at least as good, and like the pastrami I've got left will be even better.
Means nothing without pictures..
Joe Exotic
AG
normaleagle05 said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

I bought 6. Down to 3. Smoked two so far and ground one into hamburger. Brisket makes a damn fine burger.
agcrock2005
AG
Choice briskets are meant to be choice briskets dammit!
normaleagle05
AG
One in my freezer is slated for 50/50 brisket/venison.
Aggie Rick
AG
Costco in Houston raised the price on the untrimmed prime packers from 3.69 to 3.99 this week
wadd96
AG
Suspect that's in response to the Brazilian Beef Import Ban.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.