Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Smokers

2,780 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BSD
twolf11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I want to get my husband a smoker for Father's Day. I just have no idea where to even start! He's only smoked a brisket one time, but he loved it. Any suggestions for someone new to BBQ?
agcrock2005
AG
Budget $400 or $4,000? Just for smoking, or does he like cooking out often for steaks, chicken, etc. Is he a patient person that likes throwing wood on fire or start the fire and then come back 12 hours later and food is done?
twolf11
$400-$1,000
agcrock2005
AG
twolf11 said:

$400-$1,000
Sorry. I added a few more questions right when you responded.
twolf11
He does like to grill steaks, burgers, chicken, and salmon. He has a gas grill that he uses now. It has a little box on the side that was added on to smoke, but it's not that great. He enjoys the 12 hour smoking and checking on it periodically stuff. He's just very new at it!
REMtx
One possibility is get a Big Green Egg/Kamado Joe. A large/classic is around that price point. Can grill, smoke, and bake pizza, among other things. Very set-it-and-forget-it BBQ cooks with it(no need to keep adding fuel every so often. Good for newbies.

If it is a dedicated smoker, I'm not to familiar, but high quality offsets may be above your budget unless you want to buy some Weber Smokey Mountains (bullet smoker). Many people cook and win contests with those. Those are definitely in your price range too.
agcrock2005
AG
twolf11 said:

He does like to grill steaks, burgers, chicken, and salmon. He has a gas grill that he uses now. It has a little box on the side that was added on to smoke, but it's not that great. He enjoys the 12 hour smoking and checking on it periodically stuff. He's just very new at it!
OK. I would recommend an offset smoker then rather than a ceramic. If he's a beginner, you can get decent pits at Academy well within your budget. Here's one that someone mentioned on another thread as being good. Looks like there's a grate that you can grill on in the firebox too for steaks, etc.

Old Country Smoker
twolf11
Thank you! I will definitely check these out!
aggiebq03+
Get a Weber Smokey Mountain. Either 18" or 22" would do fine, will be easier to fit briskets on the 22", but the 18" would be good for chicken, ribs, pork butts. If he likes and uses this $300-400 smoker for a few years, then spend the money on a nicer smoker at that point. He will have a better idea what kind of expensive smoker he wants by then as well.
Duncan Idaho
3 more questions....
Do you live in a house ?
Are you planning on moving any time in the near future?
Does he like to tinker/hack/mod things to make them work better?
HTownAg98
A Weber 22" Kettle ($99, but can be found for less on sale), outfitted with a Slow 'N Sear ($89, abcbarbecue.com), is about the cheapest setup that is reliable. You can go low and slow for brisket, ribs, or pork butt, or cook on the surface of the sun for steaks, chops, etc. That along with a good dual probe thermometer, and he's set.
Joe Exotic
AG
Avoid that Old Country Pecos smoker from Academy like the plague. I had it and ditched it for a Weber Smokey Mountain. Much happier and the food quality and ease is much better. The Weber is damn near set and forget. I was constantly babysitting that Old Country Academy piece of ****.
agcrock2005
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Avoid that Old Country Pecos smoker from Academy like the plague.
Good to know. I never had one. Someone posted in the last day or so in different thread about how much they liked theirs.
Joe Exotic
AG
At first I thought it was great. The welds are clean and it's pretty solid. Problem is the metal is just too thin so it doesn't hold temp worth a crap. The best craftsmanship in the world doesn't trump thermodynamics. The Weber is just too easy and can produce excellent product. It's only drawbacks are that it's a one trick pony (but it does this trick very well) and it's a fuel hog. Not a problem though if you load up during charcoal sales.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Weber Smokey Mountain is basically idiot proof. Great for a beginner.
ww
AG
Green Mountain Grills
Max Power
AG
Another vote for WSM, best thing for the price, and a good smoker to learn on. If he likes it he can upgrade later.
Whoop04
The Big Green Egg is expensive, but more flexible than just a smoker. It can do cold or hot smoking, grilling, or be a pizza oven.
Leeman
Offset smoker or go home. Vertical barrel smokers are for ******* ! ;-)
Farmer1906
AG
I can only speak from experience and I love my BGE. I usually smoke on it (butts, ribs, briskets, turkeys, chickens) but it makes a damn fine steak or pizza.
NColoradoAG
Weber Smokey Mountain is always the answer to this question. Its the best starting point to see if one is really in to the process of making bbq
Ag MD 84
AG
My first grill was a Weber gas grill, then I added a Weber Smokey Mountain. The WSM was great, but it is a one- trick pony (although it is great at what it does). Built a house, sold both Webers and now only have a built-in BGE---awesome, versatile, and expensive.
NColoradoAG
Ag MD 84 said:

My first grill was a Weber gas grill, then I added a Weber Smokey Mountain. The WSM was great, but it is a one- trick pony (although it is great at what it does). Built a house, sold both Webers and now only have a built-in BGE---awesome, versatile, and expensive.

I cooked on a WSM for five years. Upgraded to a large egg this year. Love it and all the different accessories. Dont think I'll ever get an offset. Just too much work.
EFE
AG
I'm more and more intrigued by Traeger grills, set it and forget it smoke/grilling capabilities are intriguing as all get out. I'm not a fan of how thin they are, but with the lack of coals to rust one out, it's an easier sale. And I used to build about 10 offsets a year. They are great, until you need to move them.
agcrock2005
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

I'm more and more intrigued by Traeger grills, set it and forget it smoke/grilling capabilities are intriguing as all get out.
I want a pellet smoker as much as I want hemorrhoids...
EFE
AG
I honestly feel the same way about an offset these days. Used to love wasting hours upon hours tending a pit, trying to figure out all the little tricks and quirks even well built pits have. Now, eff that, let me set it, and walk away and monitor temp via remote/iPhone so I can get something else accomplished instead of a headache from the smoke and liquid egg timers.
agcrock2005
AG
I absolutely love messing with my offset, but I have a 10 month old son and a -3 month old son and wonder how much that will change. I hope it won't, but I'm scared those little *******s are going to disturb my BBQ time.

Quote:

liquid egg timers
What the heck is that?
EFE
AG
Beers
EFE
AG
Also, congrats on the nearly Irish twins
HTownAg98
agcrock2005 said:

I absolutely love messing with my offset, but I have a 10 month old son and a -3 month old son and wonder how much that will change. I hope it won't, but I'm scared those little *******s are going to disturb my BBQ time.

Quote:

liquid egg timers
What the heck is that?

Those little *******s will monopolize your time. Count on it.
BSD
AG
This will probably be more than $1k...

https://franklinbbqpits.com
GSS
Great smoker for the $$. Does what the ceramics do, at a lot less cost. Or just consider it your "starter" Kamado...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Griller-AKORN-20-in-Kamado-Charcoal-Grill/3609214

jh0400
AG
Have you put down a deposit yet?
AgsMnn
AG
HEB had all their pits 20% off. There is one really nice one at $940
BSD
AG
jh0400 said:

Have you put down a deposit yet?

Not yet. She said it will be a while before they start taking orders.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.