Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Gonna try Franklins, any advice?

2,696 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by sek92
Objective Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gonna try tomorrow. Tips?
Mule_lx
AG
Go early. Take bones. We ave a light weight table that fits a particular ice chest. Drink beer. Go in and pee and get water. First 35 or so are in the shade.
agfan2013
AG
Weekdays are a little lighter on crowd volume but you still probably need to get there before 9 because of the recent TX monthly list.

Treat it like tailgating, hopefully you are going with someone you know. Bring some drinks, a game like dominoes or cards, talk to the people in line around you.

Enjoy the awesome food at the end, the guy makes some of the best BBQ around.
Duncan Idaho
That second paragraph is what makes it a fun and rememberable day.
Martin Cash
AG
1. Go to any of a hundred other good BBQ joints and eat.

2. Spend 4 hours of your life doing something constructive.
HTownAg98
Drinking beer and socializing for four hours isn't constructive? Well *****
Bigballin
AG
Patience?
Zaiquiri
AG
Either tailgate it or keep walking another couple blocks to Micklethwait and enjoy the shorter line and free beer.
DPlainview
AG
1) Buy brisket.
2). Think about buying something else.
3). Buy more brisket.
4). Profit.
Matsui
AG
How'd it go?
Objective Aggie
AG
Got there at 9am.
Served about 12:30
Had brisket (both lean and moist and he threw in some ends)
Turkey
Ribs
Sausage
Sampled the beans
Banana Bourbon pie
Bloodwork orange IPA I think?

1) what is amazing is that they probably have the best customer service of any BBQ place I have been too. Just super nice from every single angle. Was not expecting that.
2) every single thing was really really good. No wraknesses whatsoever.
3) as for the brisket. It was indeed amazing. Perfect bark, smokering, fat rendering, etc. it's hard to say if it was the best. But I think it was just as good as the best trips I have had at Louie Muellers, Pecan Lodge, Kreuz, Lockhart. My guess here is that Franklin's by all accounts has the most consistently excellent brisket. We all know you can have good days and bad days but it seems Franklins is near perfection most every time. Every table I saw had perfectly crafted brisket.
2) ribs were pretty damn good. Splashed with just a bit of the vinegar sauce and they were even better.
3) sausage was really good. I would probably say I like Kreuz Market sausage just a smidgen better, but that a always my personal favorite.
4) had heard turkey was a surprise. So I had high expectations and they were easily met. It tasted better than turkey if that makes sense. Moist. Flavorful. Smoky. I have only had turkey at one other place that came even close.
5) pie. Man, that's one good Bourbon banana pie.
6) sampled beans as Inwanted a taste but not too much getting in the way of my meat. Very good, but I was not there for sides. But not a can't skip kind of category here.
7) regarding the blasphemous subject of sauce. Tried them all in small quantities. The coffee was over hyped. Liked it. Texas sauce was good. Vinegar sauce was actually my favorite as I mentioned when used as a slight accoutrement to the ribs.

It was an experience. Met some nice folks. Went fast. It really did. Felt authentic in every way. As much as a tourist trap as it is, it is a unique Texas experience that everyone deserves to do.

Side note: I ordered extra turkey and ribs so that I could end lunch the next day with one of my sons. It was just as good the next day. I didn't even attempt to serve day old brisket as j thought there was no way it would be the same. But the ribs and turkey a day later was unbelievably good.

Is it worth it? At least once absolutely.
I don't have that kind of time often. This was a pretty rare deal to have a day to kill in between two business trips.

I would probably say waiting 30 minutes at Louie Muellers is way easier than 3+hours at Franklins. And Louie Muellers has an even more historic feel. But Franklins is something everyone should experience for themselves.

Have not had Snows. Or any of the new Austin places like La BBQ, John Muellers, or that other new one. But I have been to a slew of others.
Bunk Moreland
Good review. As you stated, Franklin's is amazing bbq, some of the best... But what's equally fun is the entire experience. Don't go with impatient annoying ******* friends. Go with people who understand what they're getting into and ready for it.

I agree re: brisket. I've had some top rated briskets at different places and the main difference is Franklin doesn't miss. His consistency is always top notch. Can't say the same about the others. When they're on its fantastic, but it isn't always that good.

I still need to get out to Snow's as well. Maybe I'll make that a "by the end of summer no matter what" deal with myself
sek92
AG
Live in North Carolina so can't get texas bbq very often but last weekend we took our daughters boyfriend family to lewis bbq in Charleston. First time they ever had bbq that wasn't Carolina based. I have never seen 3 college age boys eat so much and they said they can never eat Carolina bbq again. Anyways... the texas flavor is spreading and being enjoyed in the east coast and my daughter well be an aggie this fall so I will be getting my texas bbq every home game!
Koldus131
AG
Guessing you probably know this, but John Lewis of Lewis BBQ was Aaron's right hand man at Franklin and then was the first pitmaster at La Barbecue. Then he decided to move to Charleston and start his own place. Texas definitely lost a good one, but I'm glad he can show people outside of this state how magical a Brisket can be!
agcrock2005
AG
sek92 said:

Live in North Carolina so can't get texas bbq very often but last weekend we took our daughters boyfriend family to lewis bbq in Charleston.
How was it? I really want to try that place. He changed the way I cook brisket by running his mouth and sharing his (maybe Franklin's) recipe.
sek92
AG
I have never eaten at Franklin's but have at la bbq, Lewis bbq was delicious. I felt like I was back in Texas.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.