Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

How do you store bacon grease?

3,647 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SACR
Tanya 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This isn't for me, but grandma just kept it in a jar on the back of the stove.

Do you keep it in the fridge?

I am coming up with recipes of stuff that people can make with things they get at the food bank. They usually give out these three pound packages of frozen bacon, so I figure they might as well save the grease for use since it is already there.

And yes, I can google but various places have various ideas. Can versus jar, fridge vs not, etc...
Prophet00
AG
Jar, in the fridge.

Easy to scoop out as much as needed, and it keeps fairly well.
cr
Mason jar on counter.
RK
AG
In a shot glass until it's cool enough to drink.
Oso96
AG
Pour the bacon grease into a paper towel or coffee filter over a mason jar. This will filter out the solids and let it dry. Now you have clean bacon grease and a paper towel that you can you to start a charcoal fire.
Tanya 93
Oso96 said:

Pour the bacon grease into a paper towel or coffee filter over a mason jar. This will filter out the solids and let it dry. Now you have clean bacon grease and a paper towel that you can you to start a charcoal fire.

That is a good tip for this book I am making.

Thank you
Martin Cash
AG
Growing up, every housewife had one of these on the stovetop.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bacon+grease+container&tbm=isch&imgil=ESmAzTS6ne85sM%253A%253BR71MracIiLwlpM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.smoked-meat.com%25252Fforum%25252Farchive%25252Findex.php%25252Ft-25383.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=ESmAzTS6ne85sM%253A%252CR71MracIiLwlpM%252C_&usg=__CY36XUdFgYW7UOYV5nyEP4e4Ito%3D&biw=1600&bih=775&dpr=1&ved=0ahUKEwj356GH_7_UAhVMOyYKHUmZCecQyjcI5QE&ei=d5BCWbfQMsz2mAHJsqa4Dg#imgrc=ESmAzTS6ne85sM:&spf=1497534622745
Oso96
AG
You can do the same with orange peel. Dry the orange peel in a paper bag and just lite the whole bag. Smells really good too.
bigboykin
AG
Mason jar in the fridge for me.
Tanya 93
Oso96 said:

You can do the same with orange peel. Dry the orange peel in a paper bag and just lite the whole bag. Smells really good too.
I am telling them in this book to use citrus peels in vinegar to make a bathroom cleaner.

But I will use that tip too.
Thanks again
Oso96
AG
I would like a copy of this book
Tanya 93
Oso96 said:

I would like a copy of this book

You really want a book where I show them how to make banana oatmeal pancakes out of overripe bananas, generic oats, and eggs? Stuff they can get from the pantry?
BlueMiles
AG
Sure, post a link if you don't mind, when you're done or could use some feedback. My email is in my profile if you want to mail it to me.
Oso96
AG
Yes I do
Big Bucks
AG
My wife me those pancakes on Saturday (with blueberries thrown in) and I thought they were delicious!
Jack Klompus
AG
take the top off of a coke can, put it in the freezer, throw away when full
rwv2055
AG
In a coffee can on the back of the stove.
schmellba99
AG
I have one in my kitchen as well. Use it for leftover oil and grease from cooking that i don't want to wash down the sink. Fill it up, dump it out back and let the ants and what not gorge periodically.

Bacon is in a mason jar int he fridge, use it for a lot of different things.
Duncan Idaho
Oso96 said:

The solids make the roux better
Tursiops93
AG
biobioprof
SACR
AG

Are you going to include a recipe for bacon mayonnaise?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.