Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Made some horrible Marinara Sauce.

2,556 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by munch96
FCBlitz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I used 4 lbs of tomatoes to make a standard marinara sauce. The recipe I used was a standard one I pulled off the internet. Seemed like they were are mostly the same.

The sauce was more orange than red and lacked a strong tomato flavor. Again it was just Tomatos, onion, red bell peppers, some shredded carrot. ( I did carrots last and the sauce was already more of a shade of orange than red). And some red pepper flakes.

I am almost ready to find a way to use the sauce as a base for something else or chunk it.

What do you all do to make red tasty marinara sauce?

BurnetAggie99
I like a Sunday Red Gravy that simmers for hours with all the meats and meatballs but this is a quick sauce

http://christinascucina.com/2013/10/authentic-quick-italian-tomato-sauce.html

4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (like Lucini)
4 or 5 cloves fresh garlic (not in a jar, dried, powdered, or frozen) preferably grown in USA
small bunch of fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped (my family likes to use parsley in sugo)
1 (28-32 oz) carton/jar of chopped tomatoes or puree (like Mutti, or Bionaturae I no longer like POMI since their tomatoes are no longer good quality) ultimately, fresh Roma tomatoes are best if you have them
about 1 1/2 level tsp Kosher or sea salt
3 or 4 large leaves of fresh basil
Parmigiano Reggiano, to grate

To enjoy with pasta as soon as the sauce is ready, put a large pot of salted water on the cooktop over high heat and cook the pasta (I prefer De Cecco) as directed (if you are using egg or a very quick cooking pasta, do this about half-way through these directions).

Pour the oil into a large saut pan (not a deep pot) over medium high heat. Crush the garlic and add it to the oil (if you want a spicy sauce, you can add some hot pepper, fresh or flakes, at this point). Saut the garlic until it just starts to brown, then add the parsley.
Federale01
AG
Were your tomatoes ripe? If they were picked too early that may account for some of the lack of flavor and color.
FCBlitz
They were ripe and red for the most part. Some had shades of green cause they were heirloom tomatoes that someone gave me. I think they were Cherokee but would have to look to be totally sure.
agcrock2005
AG
Emeril's Meat Sauce

Not marinara but this sauce is very good.
javajaws
AG
I've given up on trying to get decent tomatoes from the store for my sauces (pizza, marinara, or whatever) . All I use now is a can of Tomato Magic and season for what I'm targeting.
DallasAggie2012
AG
It all depends on the type of tomatoes I have to start the sauce with.

If they're larger tomatoes with a pretty high water content, I will crush or puree them and add them to some garlic and red chile flake thats been sauteed in butter and olive oil. Bring it to a simmer, add in an onion cut into 4 pieces, a carrot or two cut into large 2" chunks, a few stalks of fresh basil, dried oregano and salt and pepper. After the simmer, I will transfer the dutch oven to an oven preheated to around 300F and let cook with the lid slightly ajar for at least 3 hours, but it's better if you can leave it for 5-6 hours. Stir occasionally to incorporate the browned goodness from the sides of the pan back into the sauce. After it's reduced quite a bit, take it out and remove all the large chunks, season to taste with S&P and a little fish sauce. Most of the time I will blend back in some of the onion and carrot to taste because it adds a nice creaminess and sweetness to the sauce. Follow this serious eats guide and you can't go wrong: Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce

If you want something quick and have meatier tomatoes with low water content, just peel them and crush them by hand or with a blender/food processor. Saute some onion in butter and olive oil, after the onion softens (but not browns) add in some minced garlic and chili flake and stir until fragrant. Add in your tomato puree, salt, pepper, dried oregano, and fresh basil, bring it to a light simmer, and let it cook for anywhere from 20-45 minutes depending on your schedule. Adjust seasoning at the end with S&P and fish sauce. This produces a really nice clean tomato sauce that shows off good tomatoes. I'll often make this sauce with a couple big cans of peeled whole San Marzano's and it's inredibly easy and tasty.
HTownAg98
Your problem was using tomatoes that had some green in them.

I just use canned San Marzano tomatoes for all of my tomato sauces now.
hillcountryag86
AG
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/basic-marinara-0
Oso96
AG
Add a can of tomato paste and some red wine.

If you are worried about the alcohol cooking off, put in a skillet and simmer for 5 minutes at medium high heat
SACR
AG

Gif images won't link on here, 10 minute sauce

Your problem is you used tomatoes that weren't ripe enough. You want full red color, if there is any green showing, don't use it.

If you make the sauce in the link above and jar it for one night in the fridge to let the flavors meld, you'll get a nice red color.

If you want deep red done easy, just get some canned San Marzano tomatoes, blend them/dice them/crush them, and then pour the sauce into the skillet.

I don't use carrots in my sauce, but that is a personal preference.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I don't make marinara with fresh tomatoes until late June at the earliest. The tomatoes (at least here in Missouri just aren't any good)
SACR
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I don't make marinara with fresh tomatoes until late June at the earliest. The tomatoes (at least here in Missouri just aren't any good)

I make sauce using fresh tomatoes year round, the trick is to use any bright red tomatoes you can find when you go to the market. If that means cherry or Roma or beefsteak, so be it.

I am not in Missouri, though, so your location may be a limiting factor.
Tanya 93
Bruce Almighty said:

I don't know where you are, but a couple of the farmers here have a greenhouse where they grow them for the early spring.

They are good. So look at your farmer's market.
BurnetAggie99
If you can't find fresh ripe tomatoes you can always use canned brands from Italy. Pretty good list here

http://www.saveur.com/gallery/Top-Tomatoes#page-10

https://www.google.com/amp/www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/best-canned-tomatoes-san-marzano-italian-taste-test-article/amp
SACR
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

If you can't find fresh ripe tomatoes you can always use canned brands from Italy. Pretty good list here

http://www.saveur.com/gallery/Top-Tomatoes#page-10

https://www.google.com/amp/www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/best-canned-tomatoes-san-marzano-italian-taste-test-article/amp
Of that list, Cento is the best brand that is readily available at your local Walmart.

It is very difficult to find fresh San Marzano tomatoes.
BurnetAggie99
Can find some good stuff at Whole Foods and also a local place here in Austin that sells Italian goods and is also a restaurant called Mandola's Italian Market
schmendeler
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Your problem was using tomatoes that had some green in them.

I just use canned San Marzano tomatoes for all of my tomato sauces now.
yep. I would think fresh tomatoes would be better for pico, BLTs, and caprese salad, etc.

did the OP taste them before cooking them? did they taste good on their one?
munch96
AG
Here's Henry Hill's basic tomato sauce recipe:

A simple tomato sauce is the basis of all Southern Italian cooking, even though tomatoes are not native to Italy. (Can you believe it? They were brought over from the Americas.) I love this sauce. It is light, sweet, and delightful. You can use it with any and everythingtossed with pasta, as a base for Lobster Fra Diavolo or Chicken Cacciatore, you name it. And because you skim it (remove the acid), it's guaranteed to be heartburn free.

When I cook, it often starts with getting this sauce going (if there's none left in the refrigerator), and then the rest of the meal can happen. I don't usually like onions in my sauce, but some people always add them. When I did a stint in prison, Vinnie Aloi, the head of his family, used to make us sauce and he used tons of onions. I didn't like it, but believe me, I ate every bite. Remember this is a "basic"recipe. You can add a little of this, a little of that. I don't know if I've ever made sauce the same way twice. I'll add a bit of red wine one day, some tomato paste the next, more basil, etc. It's like making loveyou do it a little different every time, but the end result will always put a smile on your face.

6-8 cloves of garlic, minced or thinly sliced (about 2 tablespoons)
cup olive oil
cup chopped brown or white onions or shallots
2 28-ounce cans peeled plum tomatoes with basil, drained, reserving juice
12 large basil leaves, torn in large pieces, or 1 tablespoon dried
cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley, or 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon dried parsley
teaspoon each salt and pepper

In a large skillet or medium-large wide pot, cook garlic briefly in olive oil over medium-low heat. Do not brown, or it will get bitter. If using optional onions, cook them 3-5 minutes in olive oil, then add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add the juice from the canned tomatoes to stop the garlic cooking. Crush tomatoes with your hands or chop well on a cutting board and add to the pan. Add basil, parsley, and teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stir thoroughly once, then reduce heat to a low simmer. As the acid from the tomatoes flows to the top, skim it off every 10-15 minutes. Sauce is ready in half an hour, but cook up to 1 hour if you want it thicker. Check for seasoning and add the rest of the salt and pepper, if desired.

HENRY'S NOTES AND TIPS: Stirring the sauce mixes the acid into it. It's okay to stir briefly right after you skim, to keep it from scorching. You can tell the acid's coming out by the foamy stuff and little pools of oil that form on the topthat's what you skim off. My mom would put one of the empty tomato cans next to the stove to catch the skimmed-off partsomething I still do today. Though a lot of people disagree, I never add sugar to saucenever! If I had to use lower quality canned tomatoes, I add half a small carrot, peeled and finely grated for sweetening. Add the carrot early enough in the process so it gets completely soft. If you crush the tomatoes with your hands, watch they don't squirt you. Or your clothes. My mom taught me a way to slice garlic so thin it liquefies in the pan: with a razor. Do this at your own risk.

PARSLEY (AND OTHER FRESH HERBS) When I say parsley, I mean Italian parsley, not curly. I never use curly parsley to cook, only as a garnish. Italian parsley has fatter leaves which are dark green. It looks kind of like fresh cilantro; don't get them confused! My mom always used to say eating parsley is so good for you it's like taking vitamins. Just recently scientists found out that it and many other herbs are as good for you as fresh fruits and vegetables, sometimes better! If you can't find fresh Italian parsley, use dried parsley. Use 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon of dried instead of the cup fresh, and add the dried stuff halfway through or its flavor will get cooked away. To clean fresh parsley (and any number of other herbs), rinse with water, shake off excess, then pinch the leaves off the stems (unless the recipe says to use whole stalks, like when you're making a soup or stock, in which case you toss in the whole thing). You don't have to be a fanatic about getting rid of all the stems. The top part of most herbs is pretty tender and sweet like the leaves. I chop the leaves very fine on a cutting board until they start to give off their odor before adding to a dish. Grinding in a mortar and pestle is a great way to get the most flavor from fresh herbs. If you're using dried herbs, crumble in your fingers a bit to start releasing the flavor.
SACR
AG

The part about slicing the garlic so thin with a razor it liquefies in olive oil is shown in the prison scene in Goodfellas, he credits it to his crew boss, Paulie.

munch96
AG
I chalk it up to artistic license.

Funny thing is when I read the recipe I hear Ray Liotta's voice.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.