Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Seeking Sous Vide Fajitas Advice

8,753 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by htxag09
Hugh Jass
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I recently stepped into the world if sous vide cooking and man oh man am I a believer...the quality and consistency of the steaks, chicken, and pork that have come of my new setup have exceeded my expectations.

I'm hosting a party coming up this weekend and have been asked to prepare my fajitas; my go-to recipe is based on the standard Pappasito's marinade which we've seen floating around on this forum for quite some time now. However, this is my first opportunity to possibly use the sous vide method to cook them. Do you guys have any advice on how to best go about doing that? Or should I just stick with my standard approach until I've tried it a few times? A few specific questions that come to mind are: 1) Do I need to marinate the meat prior to bagging it and placing in the water bath? 2) If they should be marinated first, then should I just bag the meat alone or put some of the marinade in with the meat during the cook? 3) Does a target temperature of 130F sound about right (I generally cook them to medium rare)? 4) Any recommended limits on how long the meat should stay in the bath prior to being seared on the grill?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

HTownAg98
Don't do something the first time for a bunch of people. I also think you are wasting time doing sous vide for fajitas.
DPlainview
AG
I wholeheartedly agree with HTown. I love to sous vide lots of stuff. There is no way fajitas make the cut. Effort to Reward ratio is WAY too high.

However, to answer your questions and not just be a debbie downer...

My opinions:

1) Yes
2) I would bag alone after
3) I think the temp is about right assuming you are going to quickly throw on the grill afterwards (which I would recommend). If you are not, I would raise temp for fajitas. People aren't used to MR fajitas and are going to find it weird.
4) Won't take long given the thickness of the meat. I'd stick 1-2 hours and no more unless you want mush for fajitas.

I guess my overall recommendation would be that if people are ASKING you to prepare your fajitas because they've been good in the past (non-sous vide), why would you change that up? Experiment on your own at a different time.
Hugh Jass
AG
Got it...very much appreciate the honest appraisals as I'm still looking for new ways to invoke sous vide. I'll stick to my usual method for the fajitas...
lazuras_dc
AG
Whether this is frowned upon or not, ive tried it. Ive bought pre marinated chicken fajitas at HEB and just threw the pack into the Sous Vide then finished it on the grill. Was nice and juicy/tender.

Bruce Almighty
AG
If you want to sous vide Mexican, do carnitas.
Max Power
AG
I've done fajitas sous vide once, and that's all I'll do it. It's really unnecessary to cook something sous vide that takes a total of 5 minutes on the grill. Plus the texture just seemed a little off. It's great for getting thick cuts of meat perfectly cooked prior to searing, it's just not the right tool for fajitas. Just marinate them and cook over a piping hot grill.
EFE
AG
If you're doing full skirt steaks, sous vide is the way to go. If you're doing arachera/thin cut fajitas, do them on the grill. I' do skirts at 136 for 2hrs+ and then cast iron sear in pan size pieces and they are insanely good.
schmellba99
AG
Have any of you souse vide guys ever tried souse vide cooking your cheerios as well?

I guess I just don't get the hype, especially when something like fajitas is concerned - they are remarkably simple to prepare and take 5 or 6 minutes on a grill to cook, why on earth would you go through the effort of boil and bagging them for hours...only to end up finishing them on a grill anyway?
EFE
AG
If cheerios benefitted from collagen/myelin break down I might...

What you get is the same kind of tenderness you would buying a bag of pre-marinated fajitas without losing the beefy character/flavor and don't deal with the weird mouth feel that bagged fajitas get as well.
schmellba99
AG
Simple solution - don't buy pre-marinated fajitas and just cook the damned things right. It's simple, easy and quick. No need to make something simple into something complicated. At least not in my world, I get enough of that at work and have no desire to do it at home.
EFE
AG
It's not complicated, at all.
FIDO*98*
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I also think You are wasting time doing sous vide for fajitas.

fIfy
schmellba99
AG
For fajitas, it is complicated, time consuming and simply pointless.
Slicer97
AG
schmellba99 said:

For fajitas, it is complicated, time consuming and simply pointless.

Yep. Butterfly a skirt steak, season with Bolner's, grill to med rare over a mesquite fire, cut across the grain and throw into a tortilla with some rajas and a little guac.
TennAg
If there's one dish i really want to taste the fire, it's fajitas.
JYDog90
AG
I'm with everybody else. Cook them normally.

But post that pappasitos recipe, please. I've been looking on Texags for month trying to find it.
Formerly Willy Wonka
TennAg
3:2:1 of pineapple juice:soy:water i believe
Hugh Jass
AG
TennAg is correct: the base I use is 3 : 2 : 1 --> pineapple juice : soy sauce : water and sometimes add other fresh and/or dried herbs/spices to that if I'm feelin' foxy.

As others on previous threads have noted, the two biggest factors I've observed in achieving consistency is 1) investing the time to properly trim whatever cut of meat you ultimately use (I usually use skirt or loin flap) and 2) to not over-marinate (3-4 hours is plenty in my experience). When showtime arrives, pull those bad boys from the marinade, pat dry, dust with whatever other spices you're in the mood for (no need for more salt, though!), and blast them for 2-3 minutes per side over blue-flaming mesquite coals to medium rare, depending on thickness. After the fact, a cigarette and pillow talk remain optional - but highly recommended.

Also, thanks to all for the interesting sous vide discussion. If the consensus had to been to give it try, I was planning to do a test run with a small batch one night this week before the party. But after seeing the responses, it sounds like it would be a waste of time. I have heard others say that Pappasito's does something sous vide-like with their fajitas (vacuum tumbling, maybe?), but if that's true, perhaps that has more to do with preparation volume and make-readiness than anything else?
DPlainview
AG
Vacuum tumbling is a way to speed up the marinade process (nothing to do with cooking the meat).
Bruce Almighty
AG
I guess if you are going to marinate the meat, sous vide isn't going to be that much extra work and the meat is marinading while its cooking. Cook to rare and then finish on the grill.
FIDO*98*
AG
willie wonka said:

But post that pappasitos recipe, please. I've been looking on Texags for month trying to find it.

Here ya go

If you have a Costco, the loin flap is the closest thing you will find to the meat they use
D`Funkaladu`
AG
If you ever have trouble finding that thread, just search google or duckduckgo for "pappasito's fajita recipe". It's the first result.
sam callahan
I bought an Anova a year or so ago. Tried steaks, chicken and pork chops. Did the serious eats recommended temps and times. It was always tender and moist, but the texture was always off. Not really mushy but just too soft.

Am I doing something wrong or it that just the way it is?
Chipotlemonger
AG
I agree with others and don't see the point in sous vide fajitas.
Whoop04
Everyone agrees that fajitas shouldn't be done with a sous vide. schmellba99 won't let that stop him from taking the opportunity to not understand the cooking method, as he does every time the topic comes up.

Not that it is needed, but another reason to not do fajitas, with the pappas recipe anyway, is the pineapple juice/meat tenderizer will make the meat mushy really quick.
EFE
AG
I don't like sweet beef. Needs to be savory. While the bromelin reaction gained through using pineapple gives you a tenderness advantage, it ends up tasting like a Mexican lollipop. If you're doing full size skirts and you're only giving it a 5min sear per side, you aren't giving the meat enough time at temp to break down collagen or render any fat. But new things that break from tradition are wrong, despite what the volumes of meat science journals say. Fork tender fajitas that bite cleanly through a tortilla and still taste like beef may not be for everyone though.
Bobby Ewing
AG
Boiled fajitas......... geezus
rilloaggie
AG
Willful ignorance
normaleagle05
AG
rilloaggie said:

Willful ignorance
normaleagle05
AG
schmelba99 is a troll on the sous vide issue. I thought for a long time he just didn't understand but he is promoting it right down the board from here. "I know what I'm doing but tell you you're an idiot" = troll.

https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/2860324/last#last
htxag09
AG
I wouldn't sous vide fajitas. But we do have a sous vide carne asada with chimichurri recipe that calls for skirt steak and it's amazing.
Hugh Jass
AG
I'm certainly interested in your recipe if you're willing share...
htxag09
AG
Believe it's just salt, pepper, and cumin. Cook at 131 for an hour then to the cast iron skillet. But I'll double check when I have a chance.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.