Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Question about smoking ribs/Weber Smokey Mountain

2,015 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiebq03+
Seersucker Ag 2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm new to smoking meat, and recently invested in a 22.5" WSM. I have one cook under my belt, having made some wet style ribs that I think turned out pretty well.

A few basic questions:
1) I was told that I should buy spareribs and cut them down to St. Louis style ribs rather than just buying ribs that are already cut down to St. Louis style. Is that good advice or hogwash? Is there a reason to go through this extra work other than having the extra meat to make rib tips? A big price difference, perhaps?

2) I was told to avoid ribs that are or have been previously frozen. Is this even possible in Texas, far from hog country? Am I correct in thinking that any ribs that I buy at Costco or HEB were likely previously frozen?

3) Regarding the Weber Smokey Mountain, how often and how thoroughly should I clean it? After each cook, or will I be cleaning out the good "gunk" that builds up and helps to "season" the smoker?

Thanks so much for your advice. This is already a really fun (and delicious) hobby.
Tailgate88
AG
This thread is relative to my interests.
Walter Kovacs
AG
I dont know about the first two, but I typically clean three things. I throw out the ashes, wire brush the cooking grate, and clean off the water pan/clay saucer. I don't really use the water pan for anything other than holding the clay saucer and that's always covered in foil to make cleanup easier.
Shaggie 05
AG
1. I've done both trimmed and untrimmed and haven't noticed a difference in anything other than the time I don't have to spend trimming them. Can usually find both on really good sales around the summer holidays, so I pick through those and stock the freezer with the meaty ones.

2. If you find ribs that were never frozen, they were frozen at some point, you've just found them thawed. (Mostly a guess, but what I've heard)

3. Like Walter, I clean the grates, the ashes and the water pan. If you only clean one thing, make sure it's the water pan or whatever you use in it's place.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

1) I was told that I should buy spareribs and cut them down to St. Louis style ribs rather than just buying ribs that are already cut down to St. Louis style. Is that good advice or hogwash? Is there a reason to go through this extra work other than having the extra meat to make rib tips? A big price difference, perhaps?
I don't know why you'd buy a full rack of spares with bone-in etc. and then have to trim off 2/3 of the product and throw away in order to get them to St. Louis. You pay per pounds and it ends up being cheaper if you can get the St. Louis at a decent price. I wait until they go on sale for less than $2 then buy a bunch. That translates to ~$6/rack. Even buying them St. Louis there's still quite a bit of trimming to do IMO.
Quote:

2) I was told to avoid ribs that are or have been previously frozen. Is this even possible in Texas, far from hog country? Am I correct in thinking that any ribs that I buy at Costco or HEB were likely previously frozen?
Not sure why you would avoid these. I buy from Costco (often times they membrane is already pulled on these which is nice) Kroger, etc. all the time and I assume they've been frozen.
Vernada
AG
here's a good resource if you haven't found it yet:

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/index.html
CrawfordAg
AG
Costco's pre-seasoned St Louis ribs are money. I pull off the silver skin and some times wipe off their rub and add my own. I generally cook these 3 hours uncovered and wrap for an 1 hour then finish the last 1.5 or so basting the last hour with sauce.
Max Power
AG
I've smoked a lot of ribs and never trimmed spare ribs into St. Louis cut, only bought St. Louis or baby backs.

Most ribs out there at supermarkets were likely frozen at some point, they can be made tasty all the same, just practice.

I just dump the ashes, scrape the grates and clean out the water pan regularly. I recently cleaned the inside of the lid as it was looking rough.

Welcome to the WSM club, for the money they can't be beat.
aggiebq03+
I don't know why anyone would buy spare ribs and then trim to St. Louis cut. If you wanted St. Louis cut just buy them that way. I buy spare ribs because I want the longer ribs and more meat.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.