Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Favorite frozen pizzas?

13,287 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SACR
bigtruckguy3500
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What are your favorite go to frozen pizzas for different occasions?

I'm of the opinion that there are a few categories of frozen pizza, like the most like the real delivery style, the cheapest palatable, the small personal serving snack size, etc.

I'm not sure on the most like real restaurant style - at a similar price point I'd rather get Dominos over DiGiorno.

The cheapest palatable - I like Red Baron. Although if I sprinkle garlic powder and italian seasoning on Tony's, it's not bad.

For a small personal snack size - I like the Totinos party pizza because i can put it in the toaster oven and it's a pretty good snack for around a dollar.

What do y'all think? What other categories do y'all think of when buying frozen pizza?
Mule_lx
AG
Red Baron Special Delux. But they don't carry it in H-E-Bs here.
jgh85Ag
AG
Not cheap, rarely buy them, but California pizza ones are decent.
jh0400
AG
For cheap, I like Totinos. Otherwise, I'm a fan of the Bola Frozen Pizzas.
Slicer97
AG
Screamin' Sicilian Supremus Maximus
chipotle
Tanya 93
California Pizza Kitchen to get anywhere.

But locally?
Shakespeare's
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
jgh85Ag
AG
For relatively cheap, the Costco frozen pizzas are good.

My favorite fast food pizza is now MOD. Crispy crust and cheap at $5 for a mini.

Agasaurus Tex
AG
The Screamin' Sicilian pizzas (I like the Supremus Maximus) are legit.
bonfirewillburn
AG
Sad......
SACR
AG

Honestly, why not just make some dough and make your own pizza?

If you have a stand mixer, it takes ten minutes to put the ingredients together and mix them, an hour to let it rise. You can then shape it, add toppings, and toss it in the oven, or put it in fridge and let it cold ferment for a few days.

Either way, better and cheaper than frozen pizza.
RK
AG
there's always one...
petey88

started buying Screamin Sicilian,...after one try, haven't bought DiGiorno since. A few weeks ago, HEB had them on sale for $5, should have stocked up. That being said, once they were sold out of the Supremus Maximas, so I tried a Home Run Inn pizza, which was good.
REMtx
Did not like the Home Run Inn pizza. Crust was horrible, extremely salty.

For the cheap stuff: Tombstones, Red Baron French bread pizzas are ok to good.

Have tried an Austin Pizza ones that were more expensive and they were good. Had catchy Austiny names like "Mopac", etc.

Lately, have been buying frozen dough balls and been making our pizzas.
'03ag
Man I ate 3-5 Totinos frozen pizzas per week when I was a kid. Could get them as cheap as $.25 on sale. Became an expert at dressing them up a bit. Still miss them sometimes.
AggieOO
pretty much always have these in the freezer, either cheese or pepperoni. They are cheap and taste pretty decent for a frozen pizza. Plus, not too terrible for you. Wife and I split one and its only about 620 calories for half a pizza.

Duncan Idaho
The pizzas from trader Joe's aren't horrible. The cheese pizza with a drizzle of olive oil and some red pepper is on target.
End Of Message
AG
Bola

http://www.bolafrozenpizza.com/
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.
Bruce Almighty
AG
SACR said:

If you have a stand mixer, it takes ten minutes to put the ingredients together and mix them, an hour to let it rise. You can then shape it, add toppings, and toss it in the oven, or put it in fridge and let it cold ferment for a few days.

I think everyone knows that homemade is better, but that's not what this thread is about. Do you only eat homemade tortillas, do you fry your own tortilla chips, make your own pasta?
Duncan Idaho
When I get home drunk from work, I want to make a pizza from scratch and go fire up the grill. The problem is I am usually sober by the time I finish making the mozzarella.

Bruce Almighty
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

When I get home drunk from work, I want to make a pizza from scratch and go fire up the grill. The problem is I am usually sober by the time I finish making the mozzarella.

Do you milk the buffaloes yourself?
bam02
AG
SACR said:

I believe you answered your own question.
GAC06
AG
I buy Amy's pizzas but they aren't really much like a restaurant or delivery. I like the spinach one
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Totino's

In college we would butter the crust and sprinkle garlic powder and parm into the butter before cooking. My metabolism is to slow for that now
RK
AG
i used to cook 2, then lay one on top of the other like a pizza sandwich. which is why am currently fat.
Duncan Idaho
Bruce Almighty said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Do you milk the buffaloes yourself?

Breast milk from my neighbor is the secret.
SACR
AG
bam02 said:

SACR said:

When I realized it takes me so little time to make dough, and just as much time to heat up the oven to bake a frozen pizza or a homemade one is when I stopped buying frozen pizzas.

Add in the fact that you can use extra pizza dough to make calzones, stromboli, or pepperoni rolls, and it's no contest.
SACR
AG

In college, they sold those Totino's party pizzas 2 for a dollar. Can't beat the price, and they tasted halfway decent.

I've noticed some of the frozen ones like Digiorno cost almost as much as delivery now, so what's the point?
schmellba99
AG
SACR said:

bam02 said:

SACR said:

When I realized it takes me so little time to make dough, and just as much time to heat up the oven to bake a frozen pizza or a homemade one is when I stopped buying frozen pizzas.

Add in the fact that you can use extra pizza dough to make calzones, stromboli, or pepperoni rolls, and it's no contest.
Soo....it takes your oven over an hour to heat up? May want to check your oven, cause that's not normal. I think mine heats to 400 or 450 in about 10 minutes, another 10 or so to bake a frozen pizza.

Plus I don't usually keep pepperoni, marinara sauce, etc. on hand at all times. Maybe I'm an outlier in that respect though.

20 mins and I'm eating - you are still waiting on the dough to rise. Yeah, doesn't seem like you are really comparing apples to apples here.
schmellba99
AG
Not going to lie....sometimes those cheap Totino's party pizzas are still nails. Must have eaten them 2 or 3 times a week back in college because they were so cheap and it was easy to add a little more mozzarella (store bought, cause i'm a slacker and don't make my own), a little italian seasoning and if I had some extra money at the time i could buy one of those packs of Hormel pepperoni and add some slices to it as well. For about $1.25 you had a hell of a meal.

I'm going to have to pick up some of the brands here. Haven't done the frozen pizza thing much lately, but it's nice to have a couple in the freezer for quick and easy meals during the week sometimes when I don't want to cook and get home later than I'd like.
RK
AG
yea, based on the initial post, the prep time difference is about 160x. that doesn't seem insignificant.
'03ag
btw, I almost never buy frozen anymore. I'd rather buy the premade crusts from Costco. I make sauce myself by blending canned whole stewed tomatoes with some tomato paste, plus seasoning. Takes no more time than a digiorno or similar.
Quinn
AG
Tombstone is the choice here, though I grew up on Totinos. Usually get find Tombstone on sale for $4-5.

Also, I am *shocked* that sacker would come on this thread and try and tell everyone that making homemade pizza = opening the freezer and tossing a pizza in. Not the same thing at all. I love doing both and both have their place.
TX_AG_10
AG
This pizza from HEB is delicious!

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/central-market-four-cheese-pizza/1600633

Very simple pie and very tasty!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.